Options

Loons

Dennis KaczorDennis Kaczor Registered Users Posts: 2,413 Major grins
edited August 3, 2011 in Wildlife
These were taken on our camping trip and my wife spotted this guy in the lake took at the camera gear and bean bag and opened the car door and started shooting. Just have a soft spot for loons.

5981913474_fabf32c1bf_o.jpg

5981353045_eb97760313_o.jpg

Comments

• Options
    squirl033squirl033 Registered Users Posts: 1,230 Major grins
    edited July 26, 2011
    fabulous shots! i always envy people who can get close enough to loons to get shots like these... the only ones i ever see here are a way off in the distance, far beyond any reasonable hope of a photo... :(
    ~ Rocky
    "Out where the rivers like to run, I stand alone, and take back something worth remembering..."
    Three Dog Night

www.northwestnaturalimagery.com
  • Options
    BigAlBigAl Registered Users Posts: 2,294 Major grins
    edited July 27, 2011
    Lovely Dennis - a bird I would really like to see!
  • Options
    IcebearIcebear Registered Users Posts: 4,015 Major grins
    edited July 27, 2011
    One of these guys kept waking me up last weekend while I was camping in the Adirondacks north of Lake Placid.
    John :
    Natural selection is responsible for every living thing that exists.
    D3s, D500, D5300, and way more glass than the wife knows about.
  • Options
    edited July 27, 2011
    squirl033 wrote: »
    fabulous shots! i always envy people who can get close enough to loons to get shots like these... the only ones i ever see here are a way off in the distance, far beyond any reasonable hope of a photo... :(

Thanks very much for your comments on these. I was the same as well never had the luck to capture them in close or in any good lighting, and even on our camping trip 2 weeks ago we seen them way out there but not worth getting the gear out. Along the highway inside the park I seen them in closer and decided to give it a try even in bad lighting, and found that the stop was worth it becase mom had a baby on here back, and minutes later pop showed up. As for the images not the best, but keepers as I have never seen a pair with a baby.

All I can say is keep trying, and lady luck will be there one day for you.

Oh yes, I give credit to my wife, for these as she spotted the loon and I would have drove by.
  • Options
    edited July 27, 2011
    BigAl wrote: »
    Lovely Dennis - a bird I would really like to see!

Al, thanks very much. Yes once you see them and hear their call you will want more of them. I have others that I will post, later as well.

Thanks again.
  • Options
    edited July 27, 2011
    Icebear wrote: »
    One of these guys kept waking me up last weekend while I was camping in the Adirondacks north of Lake Placid.

Well that is funny John, sounds like you were not a happy camper about it? For me, I just love to hear their calls sounds so peaceful to me. In Algonquin Park we had them sound off more after sunset than in the early morning.
  • Options
    Ric GrupeRic Grupe Registered Users Posts: 9,522 Major grins
    edited July 27, 2011
    Very pretty....but the bird looks too blue to me.ne_nau.gif
  • Options
    edited July 27, 2011
    Ric Grupe wrote: »
    Very pretty....but the bird looks too blue to me.ne_nau.gif

I had uploaded the wrong images Ric, and I have placed the corrected ones in this thread now.
  • Options
    dlplumerdlplumer Registered Users Posts: 8,081 Major grins
    edited July 27, 2011
    One of my favorite birds. I searched for Loons for a week in the Canadian Rockies and found a pair on my last day, and on the last lake I hiked.

Very nice captures, Dennis thumb.gifthumb
  • Options
    Ric GrupeRic Grupe Registered Users Posts: 9,522 Major grins
    edited July 27, 2011
    I had uploaded the wrong images Ric, and I have placed the corrected ones in this thread now.

clap.gif:D
  • Options
    edited July 27, 2011
    dlplumer wrote: »
    One of my favorite birds. I searched for Loons for a week in the Canadian Rockies and found a pair on my last day, and on the last lake I hiked.

Very nice captures, Dennis thumb.gifthumb

Thanks very much Dan, and they are one of mine, I fell in love with them 40 years ago in Algonquin Park. After all these years going up there and seeing and hearing them I was never able to get them in close enough for the lens I had at the time. I was so happy that my wife spotted them and yelled STOP THE CAR...Sounds like a commercial on TV.

Did you ever capture them on that trip?
  • Options
    edited July 27, 2011
    Ric Grupe wrote: »
    clap.gif:D

Thanks Ric.
  • Options
    edited July 27, 2011
    Thanks very much Dan, and they are one of mine, I fell in love with them 40 years ago in Algonquin Park. After all these years going up there and seeing and hearing them I was never able to get them in close enough for the lens I had at the time. I was so happy that my wife spotted them and yelled STOP THE CAR...Sounds like a commercial on TV.

Did you ever capture them on that trip?
    I did. You can see it HERE
  • Options
    LindiweLindiwe Registered Users Posts: 606 Major grins
    edited July 27, 2011
    The call of the loon is, to me, one of the most awesome sounds in all of nature. It's one sound that is absolutely guaranteed to make me homesick for Canada - but apart from nature documentaries, etc., there is no chance of hearing loons in Australia. ;)

Gorgeous images, Dennis. Thanks so much for sharing!
  • Options
    edited July 27, 2011
    I did. You can see it HERE

Thanks very much Dan for sharing this with me, that was a sweet shot you got and I bet it made it all worth the efforts.
  • Options
    edited July 27, 2011
    Lindiwe wrote: »
    The call of the loon is, to me, one of the most awesome sounds in all of nature. It's one sound that is absolutely guaranteed to make me homesick for Canada - but apart from nature documentaries, etc., there is no chance of hearing loons in Australia. ;)

Gorgeous images, Dennis. Thanks so much for sharing!

Lindiwe, now how true is that statement, I just love the sounds that come from these birds, so peaceful to me. You are right that there is no chance hearing them in your location, but you can always play their sound on a coumputer. Happy to share these with you, and there is more to come, but will wait till this one clears.
  • Options
    korandokekorandoke Registered Users Posts: 517 Major grins
    edited July 27, 2011
    nice serie
    Best regards,
    Korandoke
  • Options
    edited July 27, 2011
    Thanks very much Dan for sharing this with me, that was a sweet shot you got and I bet it made it all worth the efforts.

It indeed was the most excited I have ever been as far as a capture is concerned. We got to this lake and there was no one there and not a bird to be seen. Then these two birds descend at the far end of the lake and start to swim towards our end of the lake. After maybe 5 minutes I could detect they were indeed two Loons. I got within :D:D15 yards of them with my 300 mm, and they never got spooked at all. It was truly miraculous.
  • Options
    edited July 27, 2011
    korandoke wrote: »
    nice serie

Thanks korandoke for your comment.
  • Options
    edited July 27, 2011
    It indeed was the most excited I have ever been as far as a capture is concerned. We got to this lake and there was no one there and not a bird to be seen. Then these two birds descend at the far end of the lake and start to swim towards our end of the lake. After maybe 5 minutes I could detect they were indeed two Loons. I got within :D:D15 yards of them with my 300 mm, and they never got spooked at all. It was truly miraculous.

Wow dan, that is amazing that you had the 300mm and 15 yards away from them, I bet your heart must of been pounding when this happen and the bonus they they did not spoke and take flight. All your efforts paid off and that made your whole day I'm sure.
  • Options
    HarrybHarryb Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 22,708 Major grins
    edited July 29, 2011
    Good images helped by a fine BG.
    Harry
    http://behret.smugmug.com/ NANPA member
    How many photographers does it take to change a light bulb? 50. One to change the bulb, and forty-nine to say, "I could have done that better!"
  • Options
    edited July 30, 2011
    Harryb wrote: »
    Good images helped by a fine BG.

Thanks Harry and you are right about the BG, without it who knows how these would have turned out like.
  • Options
    edited July 30, 2011
    Thanks Harry and you are right about the BG, without it who knows how these would have turned out like.

Like minerolleyes1.gif
  • Options
    fool4thecityfool4thecity Registered Users Posts: 632 Major grins
    edited August 1, 2011
    Love the reflected green water, great shots.
  • Options
    spechtalspechtal Registered Users Posts: 344 Major grins
    edited August 1, 2011
    great images
    Angela
  • Options
    edited August 1, 2011
    Love the reflected green water, great shots.

Thanks for the comments Mike and glad that you liked the green water.
  • Options
    edited August 1, 2011
    spechtal wrote: »
    great images

Angela thanks for the comment.
  • Options
    Ed HoffmanEd Hoffman Registered Users Posts: 3 Beginner grinner
    edited August 1, 2011
    Amazing loony shots ! We have those all around Idaho and their amazing to hear in the mornings, but you think i could ever get a clean shot of one ha not ! Good works :D
  • Options
    CCROYCCROY Registered Users Posts: 90 Big grins
    edited August 2, 2011
    Very nice shots. Is the greenish water due to PP or was it due to reflection of something else?
    CCROY
    edited August 2, 2011
    Good shots, Dennis! I have yet to photograph them in their breeding plumage!
    Glenn

My website | NANPA Member