Options

Camera settings for Blue Angels airshow

LivingLargeLivingLarge Registered Users Posts: 120 Major grins
edited July 28, 2011 in Sports
Looking for any advice on camera settings for Blue Angels airshow.

Equipment is all Canon

50D and 30D

24-70L 2.8
100-400L 4.5-5.4
500L 4

Wimberly sidekick for the 500

Any help at all. Want to make the most of it.
Thanks
:dunno
“He who works with his hands is a laborer.
He who works with his hands and his head is a craftsman.
He who works with his hands and his head and his heartis an artist.”

Comments

• Options
    photodad1photodad1 Registered Users Posts: 566 Major grins
    edited July 27, 2011
    Camera settings for Blue Angels airshow
    I use settings: AV, AI-Servo, High Continous, ISO 100, shutter speed 1/160 for prop planes and 1/1000 for the jets. I would recommend using the 100-400mm lens for aircraft in the air and the 24-70mm lens for the aircraft on static display. I hope this helps.
  • Options
    rhondavidrhondavid Registered Users Posts: 433 Major grins
    edited July 28, 2011
    Recently visited Pensacola Naval Air Station and watched Blue Angels on the anniversary of Naval Aviation. Setting was over the bay rather the airstrip which made for nice setting.

There was segment on DTown TV back in April I believe on this topic that Larry Becker discussed. He suggested using manual focus set at infinity, a relatively small aperture to give good depth of field while allowing for fast shutter speed to stop the planes in flight. I did this and good some good results. We had a mix of clouds and sun. Using aperture priority allow the camera to make the necessary changes to compensate for those changes in the light. Results were good. I changed apertures between F 8 and 16 just to see what worked best. F 11 was that middle road that allowed for good depth of field and sufficient shutter speeds. I do not remember ISO but was not above 400 that I recall.
    David

D40
    18 - 55 kit lens
    55- 200 VR kit lens
    Lots of desires