Options

Brittany Proves I Actually Listen

BilsenBilsen Registered Users Posts: 2,143 Major grins
edited August 3, 2011 in People
OK DivaMum, Zoomer and the rest of you fine people, I'm gonna prove I actually heard you all. You don't have to like these bt at least know you were heard.:bow

These are from a shoot I did yesterday with Brittany, the newest model I'm in love with (happens about twice a week nowadays :wink). Of course, she is a model so after two hours of being lost, she showed up for a 9:00 AM call at 11:20 and we spent two hours fighting the bright, beautiful HIGH NOON sun.

Anyway, as (ahem) suggested in my last two threads, I pulled out the 70-200 (first three) and 24-104 (last 3), jammed them both at f4, used an off camera flash with a shoot thru umbrella as fill and here's what happened:

p924185746-4.jpg

p576193749-4.jpg

p538004949-4.jpg

p655237263-4.jpg

p949800089-4.jpg

p663919221-4.jpg
Bilsen (the artist formerly known as John Galt NY)
Canon 600D; Canon 1D Mk2;
24-105 f4L IS; 70-200 f4L IS; 50mm 1.4; 28-75 f2.8; 55-250 IS; 580EX & (2) 430EX Flash,
Model Galleries: http://bilsen.zenfolio.com/
Everything Else: www.pbase.com/bilsen

Comments

• Options
    sweet carolinesweet caroline Registered Users Posts: 1,589 Major grins
    edited July 27, 2011
    I'm really liking #5. The light looks great to my eye. Also, she looks relaxed despite the interesting angle of her leg. Her expression looks very open and sweet. I also like #1 except that her elbow is cut off.
  • Options
    lilmommalilmomma Registered Users Posts: 1,060 Major grins
    edited July 27, 2011
    I really like 2&5 here! #4 would be right in there except for the oval vignette, that needs to go. other than that good stuff!
  • Options
    edited July 27, 2011
    WOW that was quick. Thank you both.
    24-105 f4L IS; 70-200 f4L IS; 50mm 1.4; 28-75 f2.8; 55-250 IS; 580EX & (2) 430EX Flash,
  • Options
    divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
    edited July 27, 2011
    thumb.gifthumb.gifthumb.gifthumb.gif

Why don't you use that 50 1.4 you've got, too? Then you can REALLY get some bokeh goin' on!!!!! rolleyes1.gif All playing aside, while I am, indeed, a bokeh and "wide open" junkie in my own shooting, the point goes beyond that - when the backgrounds are unobtrusive, the subject shines WAY more. As she does here!

Seriously, these are GREAT. Everything makes sense in them - it's not "forced", if that makes sense. They're sexy because she's relaxed and confident and beautiful and ENGAGED with what you're doing, not because she's adopting "Now I Will Be Sexy" poses or pouting or all the rest.

5 is the standout in this set, but I really like 1 as well - they're both verrrrry nice shots.

3 is nice of her, but I looked at the park bathroom behind her before her face rolleyes1.gif. Kidding aside, the bg is just too competitive in that one (especially when I see how much more I notice *her* in the ones where you blurred out the bg more)

Not diggin' the vignette in 4 - feather it if you want to, but like that it's neither one thing nor the other.

6 looks a little too flashy for me, although that could be processing-induced. What happens if you de-contrast it a little in post?

Great set, John - hope she's pleased too!! clap.gif

ETA: I like 2 as well, but lose the tree through her head either by cropping or cloning it out thumb.gif
  • Options
    TenThirteenTenThirteen Registered Users Posts: 488 Major grins
    edited July 27, 2011
    Very nice! #2 and #4 (if you lose the oval action) are awesome!!

Really good outfit as well, it really works for the model, she's beautiful, and I agree with the others, the poses here just work.
    Canon Fan
  • Options
    edited July 27, 2011
    OK OK I surrender on the vignette.rolleyes1.gif

DivaMum I may try that on # 6 but belive me, that was a tough shot to even get closeand in # 3 that ain't a bathroom, it's a lodgehouse. Laughing.gif.
  • Options
    Bryce WilsonBryce Wilson Registered Users Posts: 1,586 Major grins
    edited July 27, 2011
    Your subjects sure are a whole lot more interesting than mine are! Nice set! Five is my favorite too.
  • Options
    edited July 27, 2011
    and in # 3 that ain't a bathroom, it's a lodgehouse. Laughing.gif.

Ok, that's just FUNNY lol3.gif

~whispers solution suggestively in ear~ 2.8 lenses...2.8 lenses...2.8 lenses.... :lol
  • Options
    HackboneHackbone Registered Users Posts: 4,027 Major grins
    edited July 27, 2011
    1-2 &4 work for me.
  • Options
    SamSam Registered Users Posts: 7,419 Major grins
    edited July 27, 2011
    Nice set........tell her she's lucky.............if I were the photographer by 11:20 I would have been some place else.

Sam
  • Options
    edited July 27, 2011
    Thanks all. Once we got started, I truly enjoyed working with this lady.

DivaMum, you'll just have to get your mind out of the toilet.rolleyes1.gif

Sam, ordinarily I agree but this was at least partially my fault in setting up the meeting place. I didn't think of the fact that in the middle of a mountain park there would be no cell service so we couldn't even text each other until I moved somewhere else. She was lost for awhile before I did that and then it took awhile longer to find her and get her there.

On the other hand, I routinely send models exact directions and maps to the location. They routinely ignore my local knowledge, routinely use their GPS which routinely takes them out of the way or gets them totally lost. Even without getting lost, her GPS turned a 26 mile drive into 40 miles and an extra 30 min. Technology hasn't replaced us quite yet.
  • Options
    edited July 27, 2011
    Actually... that wasn't the meaning I intended at all (although I can see how it could be taken that way!!). HA!! Now that's even funnier! Oy, the joy of too-fast written communication.... rolleyes1.gif

My GPS once took me to a driveway. Not even on a road, but off a lane. It actually made sense once you realised a mall (where we were trying to get) had been built OVER the location, but it was still pretty funny!
  • Options
    Alex81Alex81 Registered Users Posts: 23 Big grins
    edited July 28, 2011
    #1 is my favourite, the only suggestion I could think is some backlight as the colours of her outfit are similar to the background. But it's not really necessary as the DOF is well done.

The remaining pics are good but skin tone seems slightly off.

Poses are a lot better than previous series. The only one I think could be improved is the last photo, her shoulders need to go back.
  • Options
    zoomerzoomer Registered Users Posts: 3,688 Major grins
    edited July 28, 2011
    1 is the best of the series. Back should be a bit darker she should be a bit brighter, then the separation would be there.
    5 would have worked as a horizontal with some space to the frame right, and the pose looks awkward and she is locked into the camera.
    Try to get away from the pose smile click process. She has that waiting for the shutter click look on her face in most of these (note she is locked into the camera and same expression in every shot). Face should have some angle from the camera, just takes a bit.
    If they never know when you are going to shoot you will get more natural looks, interact with her and shoot when she looks good.
    When posing less is more. Pretty girls look pretty just standing there, when they try too hard it looks overposed and unnatural.
    Note 1, she is just standing there, pops a hip, and Bam...nice shot.
    Break out that 50 for your next shot, shoot at F2, get some separation between her and the background. She needs to be brighter than the background....make is easy on yourself.
    I bet she was fun to shoot...she is very pretty.
    As always it is very easy to nit pick photos posted by AnyOne....my intent is constructive critique to provide something to work on for next time.
    Progress is being made :). Where do you find all these girls????
  • Options
    CowboydougCowboydoug Registered Users Posts: 401 Major grins
    edited July 29, 2011
    The first two are...
    Hi John,
    Really nice start with the 1st two images... i think you really captured little Pocahontas ... but you got cheesy after that... The hands just don't have that natural, comfortable look you first had. And that vignette dealio... ne_nau.gif
    Keep going with your natural relaxed style. If it doesn't look or feel natural to you, then it isn't.
    Having said that... You're a "brave" man (no pun intended)rolleyes1.gif to work with such a pretty girl without a straightjacket. Or do you?

OK DivaMum, Zoomer and the rest of you fine people, I'm gonna prove I actually heard you all. You don't have to like these bt at least know you were heard.bowdown.gif

These are from a shoot I did yesterday with Brittany, the newest model I'm in love with (happens about twice a week nowadays mwink.gif). Of course, she is a model so after two hours of being lost, she showed up for a 9:00 AM call at 11:20 and we spent two hours fighting the bright, beautiful HIGH NOON sun.

Anyway, as (ahem) suggested in my last two threads, I pulled out the 70-200 (first three) and 24-104 (last 3), jammed them both at f4, used an off camera flash with a shoot thru umbrella as fill and here's what happened:
    I'm a Kidnapper... I take terrible pictures of people, then hold them for ransom.

Cowboydoug
    Certified Journeyman Commercial Photographer
    www.iWasThereToo.com
  • Options
    dogwooddogwood Registered Users Posts: 2,572 Major grins
    edited July 30, 2011
    divamum wrote: »
    Why don't you use that 50 1.4 you've got, too? Then you can REALLY get some bokeh goin' on!!!!! rolleyes1.gif

15524779-Ti.gif

Definitely fun watching your progress. Two models a week is a good pace. You're gonna be a pro at this before long.

Portland, Oregon Photographer Pete Springer
    website blog instagram facebook g+

• Options
    edited July 30, 2011
    Thanks all. I appreciate all the really thoughtful comments.thumb.gif

With that said, except for the vignette (my bad) and the tree I missed growing out Brit's head, I really like them all. Not to argue with y'all but I'm exercising the phoyographer's right to dissent here. mwink.gif

As for my 50mm, I usually pull it out only for planned headshots which we didn't do in this set. Maybe next time.

Thank you all again. I really enjoy this forum with all you great people. You'll see Brit in her other two looks from this shoot this coming week. There's a bikini in there too guys.iloveyou.gif
  • Options
    YaflyyadieYaflyyadie Registered Users Posts: 558 Major grins
    edited July 31, 2011
    Number 2 is a beautiful picture.
    Just knock off the tree.!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    By the way, beautiful girl.
    DID YOU SAY BIKINI? bowdown.gifbowbowdown.gif
  • Options
    edited August 3, 2011
    Thanks Yaffly

and the bikini is posted.iloveyou.gif