Brittney Shoot

jonh68jonh68 Registered Users Posts: 2,711 Major grins
edited July 29, 2011 in People
These were shot using a sb-700 and lumiquest softbox II on a tripod and sometimes another bare sb-700 held by her cousin.

DSC9464editedpp-XL.jpg

DSC9481editedpp-XL.jpg

DSC9507edited-XL.jpg

DSC9546edited-XL.jpg

DSC9549editedpp-XL.jpg

DSC9566edited-XL.jpg

DSC9587edited-XL.jpg

DSC9605edited-XL.jpg

Comments

• Bryce WilsonBryce Wilson Registered Users Posts: 1,586 Major grins
    edited July 27, 2011
    Pose number six all comes together for me. The background, suit, pose and expression just works well all together.

Personally, I'm bothered a bit by the skin tones though. They don't look natural to me.
  • jonh68jonh68 Registered Users Posts: 2,711 Major grins
    edited July 27, 2011
    Pose number six all comes together for me. The background, suit, pose and expression just works well all together.

Personally, I'm bothered a bit by the skin tones though. They don't look natural to me.

I did warm them up some as most of our shoots were in the shade and it was overcast. I played around with more natural skin tones, but didn't like them as much given the backgrounds and setting. Of course being colorblind it might be dangerous to do too much playing around with skintones.
  • HackboneHackbone Registered Users Posts: 4,027 Major grins
    edited July 27, 2011
    I really like the warmth to the bathing suit group. 7 & 8 are really nice photographically ( threw that in there due to some wiseguy saying it was the bathing suit). The first set the posing seems awkard and the hair in the first two was overlooked.
    edited July 27, 2011
    Hackbone wrote: »
    I really like the warmth to the bathing suit group. 7 & 8 are really nice photographically ( threw that in there due to some wiseguy saying it was the bathing suit). The first set the posing seems awkard and the hair in the first two was overlooked.

I would agree with you. This was out first shoot so we were still getting to know each other. She seemed to get more relaxed during the swimsuit shoot. :D
  • zoomerzoomer Registered Users Posts: 3,688 Major grins
    edited July 28, 2011
  • lifeinfocuslifeinfocus Registered Users Posts: 1,461 Major grins
    edited July 28, 2011
    Like number 2 especially if her hair was set a little bet. But like the composition, etc.

Would you mind sharing the settings for camera and flash for number 2?

The soft box you mentioned was it on or off camera? if off camera, how close was the soft box to the subject? This is something I am currently learning.

And one last question. Do you use software other than say Photoshop? For instance do you something like Portrait Professional?

If you would rather not answer these questions, I totally understand.

Thanks, Phil
    http://www.PhilsImaging.com
    "You don't take a photograph, you make it." ~Ansel Adams
    Phil
    edited July 28, 2011
    Like number 2 especially if her hair was set a little bet. But like the composition, etc.

Would you mind sharing the settings for camera and flash for number 2?

The soft box you mentioned was it on or off camera? if off camera, how close was the soft box to the subject? This is something I am currently learning.

And one last question. Do you use software other than say Photoshop? For instance do you something like Portrait Professional?

If you would rather not answer these questions, I totally understand.

Thanks, Phil

I was in A mode at 2.5 using a 85 1.8, and I think that was an accident being at 2.5. The softbox was maybe 3 ft away on a tripod and I was in ttl mode with it. I had a sb-800 on my camera in commander mode over the sb-700 with the softbox. I played around with ev+/- to get the look I wanted. This is one of those things though you really can't apply unless the ambient light and other factors are the same. For some of these I would dial back or increase light and exposure.

IF you like on-location lighting and want portability, you can't go wrong with a speedlight and the portable softboxes from lumiquest. I would use the bigger ltp softbox but it tends to sag in heat and the sun.

My editing was run through all the keepers through a program called DXO that applies sharpening, level adjustments, and cropping. Then I would tweak in photoshop. For the closeups I did use Portrait Pro, which I am still learning how to use without going overboard.
  • lifeinfocuslifeinfocus Registered Users Posts: 1,461 Major grins
    edited July 28, 2011
    jonh68 wrote: »
    I was in A mode at 2.5 using a 85 1.8, and I think that was an accident being at 2.5. The softbox was maybe 3 ft away on a tripod and I was in ttl mode with it. I had a sb-800 on my camera in commander mode over the sb-700 with the softbox. I played around with ev+/- to get the look I wanted. This is one of those things though you really can't apply unless the ambient light and other factors are the same. For some of these I would dial back or increase light and exposure.

IF you like on-location lighting and want portability, you can't go wrong with a speedlight and the portable softboxes from lumiquest. I would use the bigger ltp softbox but it tends to sag in heat and the sun.

My editing was run through all the keepers through a program called DXO that applies sharpening, level adjustments, and cropping. Then I would tweak in photoshop. For the closeups I did use Portrait Pro, which I am still learning how to use without going overboard.

Thank you so much.

I bought an Octodome NXT softbox but still learning how to use it. I have a second flash that is older that I need to test and try the method you mention.

Thanks Phil
    http://www.PhilsImaging.com
    "You don't take a photograph, you make it." ~Ansel Adams
    Phil
    edited July 29, 2011
    Thank you so much.

I bought an Octodome NXT softbox but still learning how to use it. I have a second flash that is older that I need to test and try the method you mention.

Thanks Phil

Took a look at that and yikes is it big. No way I could use that on remote shots, at least not get the variety.

What I love about the lumiquests is they fold up flat and fit in my camera bag along with the speedlights. Very convenient for on location shooting, especially if you have to hike around.