Options

#82 midnight pano

JAGJAG Super Moderators Posts: 9,088 moderator
edited August 1, 2011 in The Dgrin Challenges
Thought I would spread out (no pun intended) and try my hand at panos again. Hows this one? Good enough for the challenge?:dunno

**See further down for the updated image. This one was deleted from my album.

Comments

• Options
    PedalGirlPedalGirl Registered Users Posts: 794 Major grins
    edited July 29, 2011
    I love it!! :)
    Pho-tog-ra-pher (n) 1. One who practices photography 2. one obsessed with capturing life with their camera. 3. One who eats, sleeps and breathes photographs. 4. One who sees the world in 4x6.
    www.lisaspeakmanphotography.com
  • Options
    fjcvisualfjcvisual Registered Users Posts: 201 Major grins
    edited July 29, 2011
    Great effect. Certainly worthy of the Challenge. The dramatic effect of the sky really adds to the fisheye perspective.
  • Options
    SimpsonBrothersSimpsonBrothers Registered Users Posts: 1,079 Major grins
    edited July 29, 2011
    Awesome photo, only thing I would do is fix the horizon distortion.
  • Options
    katiehkatieh Registered Users Posts: 8 Beginner grinner
    edited July 29, 2011
    I love that!
  • Options
    dlscott56dlscott56 Registered Users Posts: 1,324 Major grins
    edited July 29, 2011
    Beautiful!
  • Options
    sapphire73sapphire73 Registered Users, Super Moderators Posts: 1,946 moderator
    edited July 29, 2011
    Lovely shot! Good way to highlight the unique qualities of the summer sky in Alaska.
  • Options
    lkbartlkbart Registered Users Posts: 1,912 Major grins
    edited July 30, 2011
    Really nice pano! But I agree with Simpson Brothers - the bridge on the right seems to droop toward the center & I think the distortion is magnified by the curvature of the shoreline. The color, the comp & the sky are all great!
    ~Lillian~
    A photograph is an artistic expression of life, captured one moment at a time . . .
    http://bartlettphotoart.smugmug.com/
  • Options
    kwickerskwickers Registered Users Posts: 310 Major grins
    edited July 30, 2011
    I like it!
    Photos.KeithWickersham.com
  • Options
    edited July 30, 2011
    Ok I tried to take out the distortion but its just not going to get any better than this. Because the river was on a bend that turned from where I was standing, this is how it looked when I took the picture. The bridge itself, because of the perspective on the location vs bridge, made it look like it was on a slight incline even though I was level on the horizon. Thus when running it though the pano filter it distorted that even more. I tried to adjust that some but if I do too much, I will then distort the clouds and rocks more. Any more suggestions on how to level it out? You can find the original pictures at http://jagcreations.smugmug.com/Other/composit-photos/13648589_wGBhb#1406063955_NjnX428 plus you can view the pano at 3x.
    i-Fffgdhd-XL.jpg
  • Options
    ghinsonghinson Registered Users Posts: 933 Major grins
    edited July 31, 2011
    Looking at the originals, one way you can get this pano with less distortion is to reshoot it with the camera in portrait orientation, instead of landscape. You might have 5 shots to stitch instead of 3, but there will be less of a curve to the shoreline (I think).
    uosuıɥ ƃǝɹƃ
    ackdoc.com
  • Options
    edited July 31, 2011
    ghinson wrote: »
    Looking at the originals, one way you can get this pano with less distortion is to reshoot it with the camera in portrait orientation, instead of landscape. You might have 5 shots to stitch instead of 3, but there will be less of a curve to the shoreline (I think).

That sounds like it would work Greg, thanks for the tip. Not sure if I will be able to get back out there but will definately try if the opportunity arises. The weather has to cooperate as well as my driver and equiptment manager! This is actually a 4 image pano. So 5 shouldn't be that much harder.thumb.gif
  • Options
    bf2015bf2015 Registered Users Posts: 523 Major grins
    edited August 1, 2011
    Sweet pano Joyce. I think the hue gives it a wonderful feel. I had assumed that you used a tungsten WB, but I see it was on auto. One of my favs so far!
  • Options
    dlscott56dlscott56 Registered Users Posts: 1,324 Major grins
    edited August 1, 2011
    Still gorgeous Joyce. Love the dramatic sky, color, everything.
  • Options
    SimpsonBrothersSimpsonBrothers Registered Users Posts: 1,079 Major grins
    edited August 1, 2011