Grandchild Photo - different backgrounds

lifeinfocuslifeinfocus Registered Users Posts: 1,461 Major grins
edited August 2, 2011 in People
I recently took lots of photos of our 2 year grandchild.

While we were out with her new Radio Flyer wagon I took some shots. One I liked particularly well, but not the background. So, I replaced it with a few standard ones from Photoshop.

C&C welcome.

1 with original background

20110704-Abigail-Birthday-L.jpg

Cropped version

Phil
http://www.PhilsImaging.com
"You don't take a photograph, you make it." ~Ansel Adams
Phil

Comments

• ScootersbabygirlScootersbabygirl Registered Users Posts: 224 Major grins
    edited July 29, 2011
    Your granddaughter is adorable, but for my tastes the backgrounds look just too fake. I much prefer the original background. Try doing the portrait crop on the original photo and you'll cut out the annoying truck on the right and the drink cup, possibly giving you a much better shot.
  • lifeinfocuslifeinfocus Registered Users Posts: 1,461 Major grins
    edited July 29, 2011
    Your granddaughter is adorable, but for my tastes the backgrounds look just too fake. I much prefer the original background. Try doing the portrait crop on the original photo and you'll cut out the annoying truck on the right and the drink cup, possibly giving you a much better shot.

Thanks, I have had a few friends and family say the same thing, but a few like the replaced backgrounds.

Would like to know how many like the Photoshop backgrounds?

Phil
    Phil
  • TenThirteenTenThirteen Registered Users Posts: 488 Major grins
    edited July 29, 2011
    To me the fake backgrounds just look silly... But the little girl is adorable!
    Canon Fan
  • jonh68jonh68 Registered Users Posts: 2,711 Major grins
    edited July 29, 2011
    Don't like any of of the photoshopped backgrounds. Crank up the aperture to melt away backgrounds when you shoot, or try blurring the background you have now.
  • Darren Troy CDarren Troy C Registered Users Posts: 1,927 Major grins
    edited July 29, 2011
    The first shot, on a dirt road, with some overgrown weeds, and a smidgen of "old time" processing. As far as the altered BGs....not digging them at all.
    edited July 29, 2011
    Thanks for all your comments. So, I went back to the drawing board, well the tablet, and I cloned, Gaussian blurred and cropped twice.

Always welcome to comments. Thanks, Phil

1 Cloned and Gaussian blur.

2 Same plus cropped some.

3. Ditto and cropped more.

20110704-Abigail-Birthday-XL.jpg
    Phil
  • jonh68jonh68 Registered Users Posts: 2,711 Major grins
    edited July 29, 2011
  • Bryce WilsonBryce Wilson Registered Users Posts: 1,586 Major grins
    edited July 29, 2011
    I like the second set MUCH better. Even for a Spartan! :D
    edited July 29, 2011
    I like the second set MUCH better. Even for a Spartan! :D

Yeah, I am a Spartan fan - Go Green, Go White. My partner and I posted almost 10,000 photos of the Spartans games over the last two years as my nephew played on the team.

Thanks for the comments.

Phil
    Phil
  • Bryce WilsonBryce Wilson Registered Users Posts: 1,586 Major grins
    edited July 29, 2011
    Yeah, I am a Spartan fan - Go Green, Go White. My partner and I posted almost 10,000 photos of the Spartans games over the last two years as my nephew played on the team.

Thanks for the comments.

Phil

That had to be a lot of fun. They've had a pretty good run the last two years or so. I was on the photo deck when they beat UofM 34-17 at the Big House. Thought I was gonna see Jim Brandstatter cry on the free buffet! eek7.gif
  • moose135moose135 Registered Users Posts: 1,420 Major grins
    edited July 29, 2011
    Your reworked shots look much better to me. I like the second, although it looks like you have a little white edge on the bottom (maybe from rotating it?) that you should get rid of. But I think your third one, the close-up, is my favorite. thumb.gif
    edited July 30, 2011
    moose135 wrote: »
    Your reworked shots look much better to me. I like the second, although it looks like you have a little white edge on the bottom (maybe from rotating it?) that you should get rid of. But I think your third one, the close-up, is my favorite. thumb.gif

Thanks. I noticed he over cropping on the 2nd one. Easily fixed.

Phil
    Phil
  • ScootersbabygirlScootersbabygirl Registered Users Posts: 224 Major grins
    edited July 31, 2011
    I definitely like the second set better - the blurred background is much nicer than the gradient!
  • ValerieJeanValerieJean Registered Users Posts: 47 Big grins
    edited August 1, 2011
    Not digging the gradient background. A lot of times when I'm just out shooting candids ... I take a few extra shots of the backgrounds in the area without the subject in them, as well as at different exposures.... and then I can make a composite from the subject and the BG in case I missed something. In one case, I took an amazing picture of my son splashing at the beach, but the sky was too bright and over exposed that if I slowwed my shutter speed, his face was too dark. So with some layers and some masking, I was able to bring an underexposed of the Bg, and properly exposed subject together and it actually made my son stand out more against a darker background, making the image pop more. In my opinion, gradients are more for adding some pizazz to a background or giving graphics a shimmer, not for being a straight background.

Pardon me for posting a photo, but I thought an example may be helpful to really see the difference it can make.

Compare1.jpg

Wazee-1.jpg
    I never question what to do, it tells me what to do. The photographs make themselves with my help. ~Ruth Bernhard
    edited August 1, 2011
    Not digging the gradient background. A lot of times when I'm just out shooting candids ... I take a few extra shots of the backgrounds in the area without the subject in them, as well as at different exposures.... and then I can make a composite from the subject and the BG in case I missed something. In one case, I took an amazing picture of my son splashing at the beach, but the sky was too bright and over exposed that if I slowwed my shutter speed, his face was too dark. So with some layers and some masking, I was able to bring an underexposed of the Bg, and properly exposed subject together and it actually made my son stand out more against a darker background, making the image pop more. In my opinion, gradients are more for adding some pizazz to a background or giving graphics a shimmer, not for being a straight background.

Pardon me for posting a photo, but I thought an example may be helpful to really see the difference it can make.

Compare1.jpg

Wazee-1.jpg

Great idea! Thanks for some examples too.

Phil
    Phil
  • briandelionbriandelion Registered Users Posts: 512 Major grins
    edited August 2, 2011
    Wow, what a difference with the blurred bkgd! That last tight crop hits the spot for me.
    "Photography is not about the thing photographed.
    It is about how that thing looks photographed." Garry Winogrand

Avatar credit: photograph by Duane Michals- picture of me, 'Smash Palace' album