Options

Lion photo apps compatibility checklist - please post your findings

David_S85David_S85 Administrators Posts: 13,203 moderator
edited October 5, 2011 in Digital Darkroom
Yes, we Mac users want the new Lion, but until we know our favorite photo (and other) apps all work fine with Lion, we might be hesitant to convert to Lion.

So have you done the upgrade? And does everything work? Please post what does, and especially what doesn't. Details count - version numbers and plug-ins. Thanks, all!
My Smugmug
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take" - Wayne Gretzky

Comments

• Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited July 29, 2011
    Latest CS5 (fully updated) and Latest LR3 (fully updated) working fine for me on Lion on my Mac Pro and my Mac Air.
  • Options
    eoren1eoren1 Registered Users Posts: 2,391 Major grins
    edited July 29, 2011
    15524779-Ti.gif
    LR3 and CS5 are working fine
    Also Photomatix Pro
  • Options
    colourboxcolourbox Registered Users Posts: 2,095 Major grins
    edited July 29, 2011
  • Options
    SamSam Registered Users Posts: 7,419 Major grins
    edited July 29, 2011
    OK, I'll ask: With a number of imaging software programs, associated plugins, and printers having issues, why would I want to go through the hassle and risk to spend money (I don't even know what it costs) on Lion?

What is there that I need but don't know it?

Sam
  • Options
    edited July 29, 2011
    Sam
    $29
    No reason to jump on it...most wait til the first or second dot release
    I did because I just got a new iMac and wanted to do a clean install and get going with it
  • Options
    digismiledigismile Registered Users Posts: 955 Major grins
    edited July 29, 2011
    I bought my iMac after the refresh in May and have just upgraded to Lion. The only issue/bug I have encountered so far is that Spotlight appears to have issues with searching/indexing network shares (SMB connections). I created a Smart Folder for all my .psd files and I noticed it was not anywhere near the complete list. (all my photos, and photoshop related files are on the network drive)

There are several recent posts on the Apple Forums and no solution yet. There is a suggestion on how to get Spotlight to re-index the drive volume, but at least for me and several others, this doesn't fix the problem.

Other than that, LR & CS5 are running perfectly. As a new Mac convert, I really like the gestures in Lion using the track pad. Might never use my mouse again!

For me, the upgrade has been worth it :)
  • Options
    SamSam Registered Users Posts: 7,419 Major grins
    edited July 29, 2011
    Thanks guys.................I'll wait 6 months. :D

Sam
  • Options
    pmaxwellpmaxwell Registered Users Posts: 129 Major grins
    edited July 30, 2011
    I have had my Lion install on the MBP lock up twice. Both times I was downloading pictures from the camera via LR. I must add that I moved all my pictures to a server in the house at the same time I loaded lion, so the method of loading the pictures is new (and may be problematic in snow leopard too) in that the download goes through my MBP but the files end up on the server (catalog is local to MBP).
  • Options
    edited July 30, 2011
    What type of server? I've read about issues with nas devices and some with network protocols (I think smb)
  • Options
    PupatorPupator Registered Users Posts: 2,322 Major grins
    edited July 30, 2011
    Nevermind.
  • Options
    edited July 30, 2011
    Coloreyes display does not work.
  • Options
    pmaxwellpmaxwell Registered Users Posts: 129 Major grins
    edited July 30, 2011
    eoren1 wrote: »
    What type of server? I've read about issues with nas devices and some with network protocols (I think smb)

I have a machine server running lion and its server tools creating a fileserver for the house. The server holds the picture files, but the catalog is on the laptop. I've read that this combo is supposed to work (based on the catalog on the computer running LR3).
  • Options
    chrisjohnsonchrisjohnson Registered Users Posts: 772 Major grins
    edited July 31, 2011
    I have been working with Lion now for a couple of weeks. Like many people I first thought it was a bit of a cosmetic upgrade; now I think it is a big step on the way to experiencing how we will use computing devices in the future.

Yes there are some hassles: applications that are not yet updated to use the Lion features, and my own way of working which is not yet up-to-speed. There are some hitches - for example, the interface between Keynote on my IPAD and Keynote on my MAC. Still there are no catastrophes so far. I do like the way Aperture now seems better integrated with my OS.

The advice I would give is that Lion is different. All my software providers are rushing out upgrades and I have learned to appreciate the App Store. The best approach for migration is to make sure your apps are current - lots of negative reaction on the net are due to people not staying current.

There is some work to do and I can understand pros who either have no time or are happy with their current system. Still, I think part of being a Pro is to use the best tools available and Lion fits. Maybe you need to abandon some software that is elderly and move on - the net effect will compensate for any inconvenience.

Lion itself has some weird behavior, or maybe it takes more getting used to. It is a big step forward in the way we use computers. I understand the logic of waiting but on the other side computing is undergoing another big revolution and you should not get stuck in the past.
  • Options
    LRussoPhotoLRussoPhoto Registered Users Posts: 458 Major grins
    edited August 10, 2011
    Just picked up my first mac, which has the new lion os and I have no problems with anything so far.
    D300s D90
    Nikon 18-105mm,Nikon 18-200mm,Sigma 24-70mm f2.8, Sigma 70-200mm f/2.8

http://LouRusso.SmugMug.com
  • Options
    DeaconDeacon Registered Users Posts: 239 Major grins
    edited August 21, 2011
    Monaco Optix
    Monaco Optix brings the warning that power pc applications are no longer supported. The suggest remedy is colormunki @ $169. BUT I will say after using Optix for years, Monki is much more accurate and easier to use.
    Deacon
  • Options
    keithinmelbournekeithinmelbourne Registered Users Posts: 92 Big grins
    edited August 23, 2011
    I have had major problems with Lion on my MBP. The problem seems to occur after having downloaded a new set of photos. I find that when I use PS5 and Nik filters the machine will freeze. It usually then involves doing several hard reboots just to get the machine going again. This is the first time I have been an early adopter of a new OSX . . . regrettably.
    Keith

Mumon is right! "Every day is a good day!"

http://www.keithbroadphotography.com/
  • Options
    mstensmstens Registered Users Posts: 78 Big grins
    edited August 24, 2011
    For what it's worth, the problems in Lion seem to be more contained to those who followed the upgrade path. When I did so, the battery life on my mbp diminished by ~60%, I had issues with some slow response, it didn't like to come out of sleep mode and connect to the wireless network etc. I rolled back to Snow Leopard, those problems all went away. One of these days I'll take the time to clone my hard drive and do a clean install of Lion.. I suspect that'll resolve most of the issues I saw. I did not, however, see any significant issues with anything in the CS5.5 suite, Lightroom, Photomatix etc. Those all functioned fine.
  • Options
    edited August 24, 2011
    Mike, how did you roll back to Snow Leopard? I'm really interested.
    Keith

• Options
    edited August 24, 2011
    You'll hate the process, I did. I had to format the hard drive, reinstall Snow Leopard, then restore everything either from reinstall (actually forced me to clean out a bunch of junk) or backup. There is no easy way to roll back, unfortunately.
  • Options
    edited August 25, 2011
    mstens wrote: »
    You'll hate the process, I did. I had to format the hard drive, reinstall Snow Leopard, then restore everything either from reinstall (actually forced me to clean out a bunch of junk) or backup. There is no easy way to roll back, unfortunately.

Well, I had a day of it! I erased the hard drive, only to find that the system refused to recognise the Snow Leopard disk. I had to reinstall Lion from scratch. Then CS4, CS5, then Nik, then . . . . It seems to be much more stable now. I only hope that all my efforts work, and that I'm able retrieve all my Nik Software product keys! :whew
    Keith

• Options
    edited August 26, 2011
    Well, I had a day of it! I erased the hard drive, only to find that the system refused to recognise the Snow Leopard disk. I had to reinstall Lion from scratch. Then CS4, CS5, then Nik, then . . . . It seems to be much more stable now. I only hope that all my efforts work, and that I'm able retrieve all my Nik Software product keys! :whew

Well, after a few hours of really stable operation, I downloaded some shots from my camera and the machine has started freezing in PS again. I'm sure something's going on between PS5 and Lion ne_nau.gif
    Keith

• Options
    edited August 26, 2011
    Did you install the java update when you initially installed Photoshop? (I think it requires it actually). Other than that, open Activity Monitor and let's see what the high CPU and RAM utilizers are.
  • Options
    edited August 26, 2011
    mstens wrote: »
    Did you install the java update when you initially installed Photoshop? (I think it requires it actually). Other than that, open Activity Monitor and let's see what the high CPU and RAM utilizers are.

Yes, I did download Java. PS wouldn't open without it. Thanks for the tip on the activity monitor. Maybe I need to reset the RAM allocated to PS?headscratch.gif
    Keith

• Options
    edited August 26, 2011
    Keith, since you're back on Lion, did you update to 10.7.1? I read something in the last couple of days that there was also an issue with certain internal video cards that causes Lion to hang, and that Apple was supposed to address this problem soon. I'll see if I can find the post.
  • Options
    edited August 27, 2011
    digismile wrote: »
    Keith, since you're back on Lion, did you update to 10.7.1? I read something in the last couple of days that there was also an issue with certain internal video cards that causes Lion to hang, and that Apple was supposed to address this problem soon. I'll see if I can find the post.

Yes I updated to 10.7.1. It only seems to be a problem on the laptop. My iMac, which is 3 years older and only has 4GB RAM seems to handle Lion OK. The problem is on my MBP, which has 8GB RAM and is only a few months old. I have updated every application on the machine. I looked on the Activity Monitor while I was using PS and 95% of the RAM is idle, so I don't think I'm overtaxing the computer.
    Keith

• Options
    edited August 28, 2011
    Yes I updated to 10.7.1. It only seems to be a problem on the laptop. My iMac, which is 3 years older and only has 4GB RAM seems to handle Lion OK. The problem is on my MBP, which has 8GB RAM and is only a few months old. I have updated every application on the machine. I looked on the Activity Monitor while I was using PS and 95% of the RAM is idle, so I don't think I'm overtaxing the computer.

I found the article on macrumors.com but the update was for iMacs graphics firmware, not MBP. However, further searching seems to show hanging problems on MBPs. Nvidia drivers seem to be a specific trouble area! But I would think that your new machine has Radeon video drivers. Is your RAM the proper speed? Apple RAM or 3rd party? When I bought my iMac the Apple store put in the wrong speed RAM and I had difficulties almost right out of the box (with Leopard). it was swapped and everything has been good from that point forward.
  • Options
    edited August 29, 2011
    digismile wrote: »
    I found the article on macrumors.com but the update was for iMacs graphics firmware, not MBP. However, further searching seems to show hanging problems on MBPs. Nvidia drivers seem to be a specific trouble area! But I would think that your new machine has Radeon video drivers. Is your RAM the proper speed? Apple RAM or 3rd party? When I bought my iMac the Apple store put in the wrong speed RAM and I had difficulties almost right out of the box (with Leopard). it was swapped and everything has been good from that point forward.

I'm not sure about the RAM. The shop upgraded it using a generic RAM. How would I know if it's the right speed?
    Keith

• Options
    edited August 29, 2011
    My RAM is OK, but check on Apple support forums shows that many mid 2010 MBPs suffer from freezing with Lion. It looks like I'll have to put up with a crippled computer until Apple gets its act together :(
    Keith

• Options
    CatOneCatOne Registered Users Posts: 957 Major grins
    edited August 30, 2011
    My RAM is OK, but check on Apple support forums shows that many mid 2010 MBPs suffer from freezing with Lion. It looks like I'll have to put up with a crippled computer until Apple gets its act together :(

Just so you know, incompatible/bad 3rd party RAM is the cause of probably 95% of system instability issues. I don't know of a widespread "mid-2010 MacBook Pros have issues" problem… you may wish to try running with the original RAM and see if the problems go away.
  • Options
    edited September 1, 2011
    CatOne wrote: »
    Just so you know, incompatible/bad 3rd party RAM is the cause of probably 95% of system instability issues. I don't know of a widespread "mid-2010 MacBook Pros have issues" problem… you may wish to try running with the original RAM and see if the problems go away.

Well, I took it back to the shop and they run some tests on it. It turns out that it was a RAM problem. Thankfully it is still under warranty. The RAM they installed was genuine, and one of the modules was faulty. I pick it up tomorrow, so I'll give it a workout and see if it's OK. I go to Ayers Rock for the week on Saturday, so I was counting on having a laptop with me.thumb.gif
    Keith