Angela 2

garratt15agarratt15a Registered Users Posts: 71 Big grins
edited August 2, 2011 in People
The other shot

Comments

• HackboneHackbone Registered Users Posts: 4,027 Major grins
    edited July 30, 2011
    The second one is soooo much better than the first. The first one is alittle scary. Over processed for one and the very high camera angle and possibly some lens distortion from top to bottom of chin.
  • garratt15agarratt15a Registered Users Posts: 71 Big grins
    edited July 30, 2011
    Hackbone wrote: »
    The second one is soooo much better than the first. The first one is alittle scary. Over processed for one and the very high camera angle and possibly some lens distortion from top to bottom of chin.

Thanks Charles...Have to say, I had a bit of a play with it.
    Nice to hear what you think about it.
    Andy
  • DaverDaver Registered Users Posts: 104 Major grins
    edited July 30, 2011
    Overall - nice shot. I find the wall on the right side quite distracting. Possibly clone out or crop?
    edited July 30, 2011
    Daver wrote: »
    Overall - nice shot. I find the wall on the right side quite distracting. Possibly clone out or crop?

Good point, thanks. I have done it.
    I had put up the wrong shot by mistake, as this was cropped from a larger image and I had a few crops in another folder
  • HackboneHackbone Registered Users Posts: 4,027 Major grins
    edited July 30, 2011
    One other quick nit....watch out for the glass frame cutting the eye.
  • NeilLNeilL Registered Users Posts: 4,201 Major grins
    edited July 30, 2011
    Great that you're posting your stuff and are so open to comments - also nice to have a Kiwi here, as we're neighbours!

My feeling is that you could get some experience using natural light with the flash as fill, as a way of seeing how to manage more than one light source, which is the goal of us all here. Eg a setup such as a large window, or on the verandah, as main light source - bright and soft - giving you your all important correct exposure (watch your histogram), flash dialled down to lift main area of interest (and not to create shadows of its own), as well as a reflector (diy ones are easy) to fill in light where shadows are too prominent and hard. Three light sources - a lot of fun!:D

You could also try getting in closer to the subject as an alternative to the common style of head and shoulders. I think just now it's better to avoid background issues, while you are getting control of the light on the actual subject. Related is composing in camera rather than relying on cropping, which always has negative consequences going with it.

Neil
    "Snow. Ice. Slow!" "Half-winter. Half-moon. Half-asleep!"

http://www.behance.net/brosepix
    edited July 30, 2011
    NeilL wrote: »
    Great that you're posting your stuff and are so open to comments - also nice to have a Kiwi here, as we're neighbours!

My feeling is that you could get some experience using natural light with the flash as fill, as a way of seeing how to manage more than one light source, which is the goal of us all here. Eg a setup such as a large window, or on the verandah, as main light source - bright and soft - giving you your all important correct exposure (watch your histogram), flash dialled down to lift main area of interest (and not to create shadows of its own), as well as a reflector (diy ones are easy) to fill in light where shadows are too prominent and hard. Three light sources - a lot of fun!:D

You could also try getting in closer to the subject as an alternative to the common style of head and shoulders. I think just now it's better to avoid background issues, while you are getting control of the light on the actual subject. Related is composing in camera rather than relying on cropping, which always has negative consequences going with it.

Neil
    Hi Neil,
    Thanks for comments etc. I started taking glamour/nude shots way back in the 1970's in UK. Ex wife was a model so always had different glamorous looks to shoot. Did all the studio stuff, and pottered at home. That was the days of Kodachrome, so had to wait a week to see the resuts !..Now, with this digital lark, it is playing all over again.
    I am not serious about it, but enjoy putting shots up that I think are OK. Always like to hear what others think as well.
    This shot was just a 'point and shoot', and I was pleased with the results.
    Have many more on disk that I will put up on here and the Go Figure.
    Cheers,
    Andy
  • NeilLNeilL Registered Users Posts: 4,201 Major grins
    edited August 1, 2011
    garratt15a wrote: »
    Hi Neil,
    Thanks for comments etc. I started taking glamour/nude shots way back in the 1970's in UK. Ex wife was a model so always had different glamorous looks to shoot. Did all the studio stuff, and pottered at home. That was the days of Kodachrome, so had to wait a week to see the resuts !..Now, with this digital lark, it is playing all over again.
    I am not serious about it, but enjoy putting shots up that I think are OK. Always like to hear what others think as well.
    This shot was just a 'point and shoot', and I was pleased with the results.
    Have many more on disk that I will put up on here and the Go Figure.
    Cheers,
    Andy

"playing" is the thin edge of the wedge deal.gifD

& if you've got scans of the old stuff I'm sure there'd be interest

Neil
    "Snow. Ice. Slow!" "Half-winter. Half-moon. Half-asleep!"

http://www.behance.net/brosepix
    edited August 2, 2011
    NeilL wrote: »
    "playing" is the thin edge of the wedge deal.gifD

& if you've got scans of the old stuff I'm sure there'd be interest