How to pose 19 people family???

wildviperwildviper Registered Users Posts: 560 Major grins
edited August 1, 2011 in People
In a week's time I am going to have to take on doing portraits for this family of 19 with kids of different ages.

I know it is tough to describe how to pose these people, but would appreciate any help. Links perhaps to photographs that others have done?

This is going to be in a park with shade and most likely some harsh sun in the back.

I am thinking of taking some props, but it would be difficult to get it there...so..its an option..but a last option.

thank you thank you thank you for any help on this. :) :bow
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
WildViper
From Nikon D70s > Nikon D300s & D700
Nikon 50/1.8, Tamron 28-75/2.8 1st gen, Nikkor 12-24/4, Nikkor 70-200/2.8 ED VR, SB600, SB900, SB-26 and Gitzo 2 Series Carbon Fiber with Kirk Ballhead

Comments

• lifeinfocuslifeinfocus Registered Users Posts: 1,461 Major grins
    edited July 30, 2011
    Local photographer in our area does something different with family photos they wear the color of solid top. It comes off well in some shots I think

Also, when posing groups try to form small groups of triangles.

The following is a slideshow of a local photographer so I can't take you directly to the photos I like of the large family, but there are two shots of a large family - 14 people.

Also, I understand photographers suggest having the most senior members front and center.

http://www.warnerphotography.biz/index2.php?v=v1#/rgallery/2/
    http://www.PhilsImaging.com
    "You don't take a photograph, you make it." ~Ansel Adams
    Phil
  • wildviperwildviper Registered Users Posts: 560 Major grins
    edited July 30, 2011
    Thank you...appreciate the link. Anyone else???
    >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
    WildViper
    Nikon 50/1.8, Tamron 28-75/2.8 1st gen, Nikkor 12-24/4, Nikkor 70-200/2.8 ED VR, SB600, SB900, SB-26 and Gitzo 2 Series Carbon Fiber with Kirk Ballhead
  • VayCayMomVayCayMom Registered Users Posts: 1,870 Major grins
    edited July 30, 2011
    I have 2 stools of different heights and that helps me to get more variety in the height of the group. Make a lot of triangles of the heads when staging them. Keep fuller figured people covered up by thinner people in front of them.
    Ask them if they want to stay in groups by immediate family or if you can just put them where they fit best. A ladder is almost a MUST HAVE for you to shoot from.
    Bring a helper.

I will look for a great short video I saw of speed posing!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WImfO56Y5mU&feature=player_detailpage
    Trudy
    www.CottageInk.smugmug.com

NIKON D700
  • zoomerzoomer Registered Users Posts: 3,688 Major grins
    edited July 31, 2011
    People in green shade with bright sun on the background is a recipe for failure.
    If you can find a spot out of the green light like by a lake or a rock wall.
    Layer them kids laying/kneeling in front. Talls in the middle kneeling on the ends.
    Boring is Standing them in two rows short in front tall in back. Fill flash helps a lot.
    Try some fun stuff, Line up 5 and 5 down in a football stance with the rest standing on the edges cheering them on, shoot it from below. Get creative, have fun.
  • ScootersbabygirlScootersbabygirl Registered Users Posts: 224 Major grins
    edited July 31, 2011
    Ooooh - I can help!! I just did a shoot a few weeks ago with a LARGE family - 21 people - and it went really great! I'll link you to the gallery so you can see what I did. I did a number of things - siblings, married couples, children, each child and their family - I think it came out pretty good! Here's the link and one pic: http://www.randileephotography.com/Family/Falconer-Family-Photos/18079287_b4gmfb#1386682330_sQ3cznK

i-7DxKVwH-L.jpg
  • wildviperwildviper Registered Users Posts: 560 Major grins
    edited August 1, 2011
    Randi, thank you. fun pictures. I wish I had access to that type of location with rocks and stuff. Alas...it is a simple park. I will see what I find to put people against.

Zoomer and Trudy - thank you. Your tips are helping me figure this shoot out.
    >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
    WildViper