Haven't shared in a while....

divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
edited August 5, 2011 in People
.... largely because I haven't been shooting much recently! A few things here and there, but between musical commitments and the puppy, haven't taken that many shots of any kind, and the ones I did take weren't of people :D

Anyway, grabbed a few at midday today - first two in open shade on the porch with the flash bouncing off the house (behind and/or CL), but decided to try and HSS a couple down in the brighter yard too. I don't do nearly enough HSS practicing, so figured I'd grab the opportunity. Rock on ETTL and the 430ex for doing a pretty nifty job despite the noon sun :thumb 7d+24-70L.

C&C always appreciated :lust :lust :lust :lust

1. Not the most flattering angle of her perhaps, but I'm still really happy to have something that's a little nicer than a snapshot of both of them!

i-krJfm5F-L.jpg

2. I must've done something right, as she wants this one for her FB profile :)

i-pPtg8KW-L.jpg

i-KcxsSQD-L.jpg

Comments

• Bryce WilsonBryce Wilson Registered Users Posts: 1,586 Major grins
    edited July 30, 2011
    While I like one and two, number three is one to do cartwheels over in my book!
  • VayCayMomVayCayMom Registered Users Posts: 1,870 Major grins
    edited July 30, 2011
    I feel the opposite Bryce, #3 is my least favorite. The upper lip looks odd to me. Now #1, oh wow, I have never seen her with that expression, her puppy seems to have melted her like butter!! Such true love, childlike. I can't even think of the way to express it. She has always seemed ahead of her years, but here her guard is totally gone, her heart is wide open, that look is PURE puppy love!

I LOVE #2, she is mesmerizing.
    Trudy
    www.CottageInk.smugmug.com

NIKON D700
  • anonymouscubananonymouscuban Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 4,586 Major grins
    edited July 30, 2011
    She's growing up Diva. Great shots. Very is number 3. AND I LOVE THAT DOG!!!
    "I'm not yelling. I'm Cuban. That's how we talk."

Moderator of the People and Go Figure forums

My Smug Site
  • divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
    edited July 31, 2011
    Thanks guys iloveyou.gif. Interesting that three divides opinions sharply. Trudy, I see what you mean about the lip! I think it isn't as problematic with different processing, although I do prefer the toned, high-contrast version. I converted it largely because of the strong green "backwash" from the foliage in the bright light (probably should have kept ambient exposure a little lower and made the flash work a little harder....) - this has been adjusted (CL hair) and I can still see it; it was STRONG noon light....

i-XtDSBWg-M.jpg

Trudy, what's funny about the first one is that she was actually in "Mom, I don't really want to hold Cooper. He's really wiggly right now. Why didn't you put his leash on? He's gonna jump off. Do I hafta?!" mode, while I was doing this absurd dance to get the daft puppy to look at me (he was WAY more interested in the leaves just off the porch behind her rolleyes1.gif). I love it too - I have to pick my times carefully to get shots with her these days, and the 19 week puppy is... well, a 19 week puppy. Perpetual motion!!

For laughs, here's the shots on either side of that one.... rolleyes1.gif

i-dnG6kzb-S.jpgi-6XGhF4D-S.jpg

Alex, we love him too - he's an absolutely AWESOME little guy (he's a brown Bearded Collie, btw), and is doing great. It feels soooo good to have a Beardie in the house again (Beau died last July, so it was a full 9 months without a dog which was WAY too long!!).
  • SamSam Registered Users Posts: 7,419 Major grins
    edited July 31, 2011
    Don't take this the wrong way, but my favorite is the dog. He looks like a fun happy thing.

Sam
    edited July 31, 2011
    Sam wrote: »
    Don't take this the wrong way, but my favorite is the dog. He looks like a fun happy thing.

Sam

clap.gifrolleyes1.gif

That's only because you can't see his eyes to tell if the catchlights work for you, and you don't have to quibble over skin tones on fur :lol4

Like most Beardies, he is a very friendly and cheery fellow - it's awesome to have some fur in the house again!!! iloveyou.gif
  • lilmommalilmomma Registered Users Posts: 1,060 Major grins
    edited August 2, 2011
    wow she has grown up! #2 rocks!
  • sweet carolinesweet caroline Registered Users Posts: 1,589 Major grins
    edited August 2, 2011
    I love #2, as well. They are all great, but #2 is such a nice portrait of your growing girl. She looks so determined.
  • BilsenBilsen Registered Users Posts: 2,143 Major grins
    edited August 2, 2011
    Hi Diva,

I'm a vote for # 1 with # 2 close in. Not a big fan of # 3 at all. I understand the reasons to wash it out but maybe you should go farther to a full old time sepia with some grain.

By the way, I had a bearded collie. They are amazing dogs but strong willed and smart as all get out. Be aware, they are total escape artists.
    Bilsen (the artist formerly known as John Galt NY)
    Canon 600D; Canon 1D Mk2;
    24-105 f4L IS; 70-200 f4L IS; 50mm 1.4; 28-75 f2.8; 55-250 IS; 580EX & (2) 430EX Flash,
    Model Galleries: http://bilsen.zenfolio.com/
    Everything Else: www.pbase.com/bilsen
    edited August 2, 2011
    iloveyou.gif Thanks guys!!

He's our third Beardie, John- we've had a barker and a counter-surfer, but thankfully none of them have been Houdinis...yet :D I'd be willing to bank on this one trying it though - he's definitely the smartest of the three so he keeps us on our toes!
  • briandelionbriandelion Registered Users Posts: 512 Major grins
    edited August 3, 2011
    My favorites- #'s 1 & 2. Since no one else has mentioned it must just be me but I'll mention it anyway. I see a kind of optical illusion going on in #2. I can't quite tell which direction the body is facing so it feels like the head is floating above it. Cropping the right side to create a square format would put the focus even more on your daughters wonderful expression. Either way, nice work!
    "Photography is not about the thing photographed.
    It is about how that thing looks photographed." Garry Winogrand

Avatar credit: photograph by Duane Michals- picture of me, 'Smash Palace' album
  • BradfordBennBradfordBenn Registered Users Posts: 2,506 Major grins
    edited August 5, 2011
    I think #2 is a good avatar picture for the evil Facebook but I like #3 better. I am confused what do you mean by "HHS"
    -=Bradford

Pictures | Website | Blog | Twitter | Contact
    edited August 5, 2011
    HSS =high speed synch, so I could use shutter speeds above 1/250 (the 7d's max otherwise). thumb.gif
  • BradfordBennBradfordBenn Registered Users Posts: 2,506 Major grins
    edited August 5, 2011
    divamum wrote: »
    HSS =high speed synch, so I could use shutter speeds above 1/250 (the 7d's max otherwise). thumb.gif
    I am still getting at the goal of getting it in focus & exposed right. I have not started looking at sync and curtains yet. But I know who to ask....
    -=Bradford

Pictures | Website | Blog | Twitter | Contact