Stressful times

CornflakeCornflake Registered Users Posts: 3,346 Major grins
edited August 3, 2011 in Other Cool Shots

Comments

• TerrytoriTerrytori Registered Users Posts: 11 Big grins
    edited July 31, 2011
    Nicely done. Needs to be printed way large.
  • RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,955 moderator
    edited July 31, 2011
    I like the shot a lot, but the processing has left it flat. Needs more contrast to make it pop. I'd start by lowering the white point--in a pile of glass one would expect a few specular highlights, but nothing comes even close to that here. ne_nau.gif
  • pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,703 moderator
    edited July 31, 2011
    Have you tried this image as a high contrast B&W, with lots of dark tones?

I find the color interesting, but not cooperating with "Hard Times" exactly. Looks more like Party Times with the gay colors.

I do like the image.
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • CornflakeCornflake Registered Users Posts: 3,346 Major grins
    edited July 31, 2011
    "Nicely done. Needs to be printed way large."

Thanks, Terrytori.

"I like the shot a lot, but the processing has left it flat. Needs more contrast to make it pop. I'd start by lowering the white point--in a pile of glass one would expect a few specular highlights, but nothing comes even close to that here."

Richard, I decided to take it in the direction of flat and painterly, but I may have overdone it. I'll check the white point. Thanks.

"Have you tried this image as a high contrast B&W, with lots of dark tones?"

Pathfinder, I did try black and white but didn't much like it. I agree about the title, but I don't really title pictures except arbitrarily on forums, where you have to call them something. Thanks.
  • DonRicklinDonRicklin Registered Users Posts: 5,551 Major grins
    edited July 31, 2011
    pathfinder wrote: »
    Have you tried this image as a high contrast B&W, with lots of dark tones?

I find the color interesting, but not cooperating with "Hard Times" exactly. Looks more like Party Times with the gay colors.

I do like the image.
    The title is "Stressful Times", which could relate to those who have to pick-up after the bash! rolleyes1.gif

I prefer color, too. thumb.gif

Don
    Don Ricklin - Gear: Canon EOS 5D Mark III, was Pentax K7
    'I was older then, I'm younger than that now' ....
    My Blog | Q+ | Moderator, Lightroom Forums | My Amateur Smugmug Stuff | My Blurb book Rust and Whimsy. More Rust , FaceBook
    edited July 31, 2011
    Thans, Don. I'm happy to say that this was not taken in my living room after a bash. I was peering into a glass recycling container at the city dump in Flagstaff, Arizona.

Edit: the comments prompted a revision, although I didn't wind up changing it all that much. Thanks for all the feedback.

Dump-z-blend-1000x1000.jpg
  • DogdotsDogdots Registered Users Posts: 8,795 Major grins
    edited August 2, 2011
    I love it .. glad to hear too it wasn't taken in your living room rolleyes1.gif
    edited August 2, 2011
    Thanks, Mary.
  • TenThirteenTenThirteen Registered Users Posts: 488 Major grins
    edited August 2, 2011
    Very cool shot, I like the second version best
    Canon Fan
    edited August 2, 2011
    Thanks very much, TenThirteen.

I thought my affection for this image was eccentric and no one else would like it at all. You never know.
  • Wicked_DarkWicked_Dark Registered Users Posts: 1,138 Major grins
    edited August 3, 2011
    hey, is that my recycle bin??
    kidding.
    I like it but also wonder about a B&W. still, those colors are hard to resist.
  • DaddyODaddyO Registered Users Posts: 4,466 Major grins
    edited August 3, 2011
    A nice useful image. One that lots can be done with and come out creditable doing so each time. Very versatile.
    I like the OOF low left corner too as it helps lend a peering in appeal. :D Can't see much difference between the two
    takes. Both are snappy enough in the vein your going with.
    Michael