Options

#82 More Stars

bf2015bf2015 Registered Users Posts: 523 Major grins
edited August 3, 2011 in The Dgrin Challenges
I've been trying my hand at astrophotography lately, and was so excited for this challenge. And I knew that star shots would be popular this round. Greg has some really nice shots of the milky way, so in all fairness to him, I will probably go another route.

Just wanted to show this for comments. I took this Thursday night up at Mt Rainier. It's a 4 shot pano from horizon to horizon of 4 minute exposures at 11mm ISO800 mounted to my telescope for tracking. On the right side you can see the glow from Yakima, Wa, and on the left the glow from Seattle.

i-PN43v2Z-L.jpg

Comments

• Options
    FrochFroch Registered Users Posts: 571 Major grins
    edited July 31, 2011
    Wonderful Brian
  • Options
    ghinsonghinson Registered Users Posts: 933 Major grins
    edited July 31, 2011
    Great shot. I tried the pano shot last year but was unable to track it that well with my regular tripod. Don't defer to my stars. This is beautiful.
    uosuıɥ ƃǝɹƃ
    ackdoc.com
  • Options
    tinamarie52tinamarie52 Registered Users Posts: 954 Major grins
    edited July 31, 2011
    Stunning!

Forgive my lack of knowledge about this, but may I assume that your telescope tracks the stars by moving with them so that you don't get trails?

This is lovely, almost surreal.

Chris
    http://chrisadamczyk.smugmug.com

When you come to a door... walk through it.
    If it's locked... find an open window.
  • Options
    sapphire73sapphire73 Registered Users, Super Moderators Posts: 1,945 moderator
    edited July 31, 2011
    This is beautiful!
  • Options
    edited July 31, 2011
    Thank you all for the wonderful comments. Chris, you're absolutely right. The telescope travels at the same rate as the stars (or more precisely travels against the rotation of the earth) so that there are no trails. However, any trees or terrestrial objects will be blurred.

Greg, this is the first time I have tried a pano of the milky way. I wasn't sure how it would turn out. It's such a great subject to photograph!
  • Options
    DaddyODaddyO Registered Users Posts: 4,466 Major grins
    edited August 1, 2011
    bf2015 wrote: »
    I've been trying my hand at astrophotography lately, and was so excited for this challenge. And I knew that star shots would be popular this round.
    :D
    This is such an excellent result. Seriously well done thumb.gif
    I think the light dome from Yakima is most fortunate for this effort. Couldn't have happened in a more perfect spot in frame.
    It makes Galactic Downtown Milkyway look even more the enormous metropolis of stars that it is. Big city bright lights.
    I can practically hear the ruckus of all the goings on found in such a place.

I love your enthusiasm expressed for star shots in a photo challenge. Success in that happens all the time.
    I believe this effort to be one heavy contender in the field of all the sweet shots I've seen under consideration for this contest round.
    Good Luck with whatever you decide to present!
    Michael
  • Options
    kdotaylorkdotaylor Registered Users Posts: 1,275 Major grins
    edited August 1, 2011
    Wow...so gorgeous!
    Kate
    www.katetaylor.smugmug.com
    "You cannot depend on your eyes when your imagination is out of focus." Mark Twain
  • Options
    edited August 1, 2011
    Thank you for all of the enthusiasm! :D Because of that, I have decided to enter it in this challenge.
  • Options
    dlscott56dlscott56 Registered Users Posts: 1,324 Major grins
    edited August 1, 2011
    WOW! That's the best I can do for a critique. Pretty amazing stuff.
  • Options
    lkbartlkbart Registered Users Posts: 1,912 Major grins
    edited August 3, 2011
    Absolutely stunning!
    ~Lillian~
    A photograph is an artistic expression of life, captured one moment at a time . . .
    http://bartlettphotoart.smugmug.com/
  • Options
    DirquistDirquist Registered Users Posts: 81 Big grins
    edited August 3, 2011
    Pretty cool shot, I can barely see the stars from here in the city ;-) just look what Ive been missing all this time. Sure has been some nice weather lately to get that shot!!
  • Options
    GretaPicsGretaPics Registered Users Posts: 373 Major grins
    edited August 3, 2011
    Love your entry - phenomenal shot! Intrigued by astrophotography....my small local camera shop specializes in this and I see people outside with their equipment and it always looks like fun. GP