Pricing

hudakorehudakore Registered Users Posts: 37 Big grins
edited July 31, 2011 in Mind Your Own Business
I'm brand new at this whole emarketing and have set up an account and name at SmugMug. Now I'm ready for pricing my images but haven't a clue where to begin. I"ll probably use EZ Prints for all the print work and their prices are available to see but I don't know what percent I should increase their prices by. Should I figure in postage or is that added on top of the price. I would appreciate any help I can get. I will be offering digital downloads too and since I've already set prices for them, I hope they were reasonable but not next to free. :dunno
www.omnimagesonline.com (SmugMug)
www.123rf.com/portfolio/hudakore/1.html (stock photos)
www.hilmasimages.com

Nothing is what it seems nor is it otherwise.

Comments

• ThatCanonGuyThatCanonGuy Registered Users Posts: 1,778 Major grins
    edited July 30, 2011
    Smugmug adds shipping costs, you don't have to factor them in. As for pricing, don't undercut the industry. Look at some sites of dgrinners and see what they're charging. I charge $15 for a 5x7 and $25 for an 8x10. People don't buy my photos often, but when they do, I want to have them low enough that they'll buy, but high enough so as not to undercut the industry.
  • hudakorehudakore Registered Users Posts: 37 Big grins
    edited July 30, 2011
    Smugmug adds shipping costs, you don't have to factor them in. As for pricing, don't undercut the industry. Look at some sites of dgrinners and see what they're charging. I charge $15 for a 5x7 and $25 for an 8x10. People don't buy my photos often, but when they do, I want to have them low enough that they'll buy, but high enough so as not to undercut the industry.

How do I locate other dgrinners sites?
    www.omnimagesonline.com (SmugMug)
    www.123rf.com/portfolio/hudakore/1.html (stock photos)
    www.hilmasimages.com

Nothing is what it seems nor is it otherwise.
    edited July 31, 2011
    There's usually a link in their signature (In mine, it's the My Smug link). Or, you can click their username and choose "Visit [user]'s homepage!"
  • Cygnus StudiosCygnus Studios Registered Users Posts: 2,294 Major grins
    edited July 31, 2011
    As for pricing, don't undercut the industry.

I would personally love to know what you believe the industry is? Could you also tell us what part of the photography industry that you work in or referenced to determine your $25 rate.

If I were to use dgrin users as an example the range goes from $3 to $100 + for an 8x10. If I were to visit local fine art galleries in the San Francisco area, the top range can go to $2400 +
    Steve

Website
    edited July 31, 2011
    Like I said, I try to price not too low but not so high that people won't buy. I sell prints mostly to parents of youth sports teams. Not many, not nearly as many as some on here. Somehow I don't think parents want to pay $100 for an 8x10 of their kid.
  • idiotabroadidiotabroad Registered Users Posts: 246 Major grins
    edited July 31, 2011
    Yea fine art vs. kid sports pictures. Depends on what and who your marketing too. Also quanity vs. quality. Have to sell many many 8x10 of kid sports to equal one sale of fine art or commercial work.
    Mark

If you don't agree with me then your wrong.
    I can't be held accountable for what I say, I'm bipolar.