Options

Trying my hand at HDR...

GadgetRickGadgetRick Registered Users Posts: 787 Major grins
edited August 1, 2011 in Technique
So I did my first attempt at HDR photography while I was visiting NJ last week. Shot the City at night and the Bayonne Bridge at night. Not pleased with what I got. Any tips are appreciated.

I combined them with Photomatix Pro then re-imported to LR 3 and adjusted a few things.

1: This one just didn't come out sharp at all.
i-LCJ55v4-XL.jpg

2: Couldn't get the sky to come out even though it was exposed better in one of the shots I used to make the final shot:
i-Zg7LNjc-L.jpg

3:
i-7j2WHrL-L.jpg

4:
i-SvHVzdk-L.jpg

5:
i-mP9WtL5-L.jpg

I feel like maybe I wasn't exposing properly, which caused these to not quite be there...

Comments

• Options
    SamSam Registered Users Posts: 7,419 Major grins
    edited July 31, 2011
    In a night scene like this the dynamic range is huge. From the almost black water to the bright lights. In order to capture all that data you need to take a lot of shots.

Sam
  • Options
    edited July 31, 2011
    Sam wrote: »
    In a night scene like this the dynamic range is huge. From the almost black water to the bright lights. In order to capture all that data you need to take a lot of shots.

Sam

I was using the camera to automatically take 3 shots. I don't know if there's a way to make it take more, otherwise I guess I have to take the other shots manually. How much do I change my settings? Do I just change shutter speed or iso as well?

Thanks.
  • Options
    SamSam Registered Users Posts: 7,419 Major grins
    edited July 31, 2011
    GadgetRick wrote: »
    I was using the camera to automatically take 3 shots. I don't know if there's a way to make it take more, otherwise I guess I have to take the other shots manually. How much do I change my settings? Do I just change shutter speed or iso as well?

Thanks.

Of course you need to use a tripod. A cable release e is also a very good idea.

Set your Aperture, ISO and focus (once focus is achieved don't change it) to vary the exposure shoot in manual mode and change the shutter speed. My guess is to try minus 5 to plus 5 in 1/2 stop increments. Review your histogram and adjust the number of shots as necessary.

Ziggy can probably tell you to the tenth of a stop by just looking at the image. I ain't anywhere near that. :D

Sam
  • Options
    ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 23,826 moderator
    edited July 31, 2011
    Sam wrote: »

Ziggy can probably tell you to the tenth of a stop by just looking at the image. I ain't anywhere near that. :D

Sam

"ziggy" certainly is a character, isn't he? rolleyes1.gif

GadgetRick, follow Sam's advice. thumb.gif
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • Options
    edited August 1, 2011
    Thanks guys. Will have to give it another shot when I have the opportunity.

Was shooting on a tripod. My remote shutter had dead batteries (Ugh!) so I just shot with a delay on the shutter. Not a problem in this case as I wasn't concerned about Manhattan moving. ;)