AzzaroAzzaro Registered Users Posts: 5,643 Major grins
edited August 4, 2011 in Other Cool Shots
He was munching on the tree:D

Horse-Head-in-the-trees-XL.jpg

THANKS FOR LOOKING C&C ALWAYS WELCOME

Comments

• SnowgirlSnowgirl Registered Users Posts: 2,155 Major grins
    edited July 31, 2011
    Good lord, where were you? Hanging from the top of the tree?

Love the light (as usual) in this picture!clap.gif
    Creating visual and verbal images that resonate with you.
    http://www.imagesbyceci.com
    http://www.facebook.com/ImagesByCeci
    Picadilly, NB, Canada
  • oldovaloldoval Registered Users Posts: 456 Major grins
    edited July 31, 2011
    Just when I think you can't possibly come up with another original horse shot, you bust out another winner. Well done.
  • black mambablack mamba Registered Users Posts: 8,323 Major grins
    edited August 1, 2011
    Very nicely done, Gary. Quite a different shot.thumb.gif

Tom
    I always wanted to lie naked on a bearskin rug in front of a fireplace. Cracker Barrel didn't take kindly to it.
  • Darren Troy CDarren Troy C Registered Users Posts: 1,927 Major grins
    edited August 1, 2011
    Awesome shot, love it!
  • AzzaroAzzaro Registered Users Posts: 5,643 Major grins
    edited August 1, 2011
    Snowgirl wrote: »
    Good lord, where were you? Hanging from the top of the tree?

Love the light (as usual) in this picture!clap.gif

THANKS FOR THE NICE COMMENT ......I was standing on the ground, and the picture was taken looking up at the horse......He had his head twisted, and it made for and optical illusion ....:Dgary
    edited August 1, 2011
    oldoval wrote: »
    Just when I think you can't possibly come up with another original horse shot, you bust out another winner. Well done.

THANKS......Glad you liked it......:D I'm surprised myself.....I didn't think there was a horse pic. left either.......rolleyes1.gif
    edited August 1, 2011
    Very nicely done, Gary. Quite a different shot.thumb.gif

Tom

Thanks for looking, Tom.....glad you liked it.
    edited August 1, 2011
    Awesome shot, love it!

THANKS DARREN.........:Dgary
  • DogdotsDogdots Registered Users Posts: 8,795 Major grins
    edited August 2, 2011
    Great shot thumb.gif
    edited August 2, 2011
    Dogdots wrote: »
    Great shot thumb.gif

THANKS MARY k.........:D
  • redleashredleash Registered Users Posts: 3,840 Major grins
    edited August 2, 2011
    You found another great horse shot because you have such a great eye, Gary! Your PP is always pleasing but I am most impressed by the creative and interesting shots you come up with just by looking around your own back yard. Well done! Are you gonna hang this one? :D
    "But ask the animals, and they will teach you." (Job 12:7)

Lauren Blackwell
    www.redleashphoto.com
    edited August 2, 2011
    redleash wrote: »
    You found another great horse shot because you have such a great eye, Gary! Your PP is always pleasing but I am most impressed by the creative and interesting shots you come up with just by looking around your own back yard. Well done! Are you gonna hang this one? :D

I might hang this one:D THANKS FOR THE KIND COMMENT......:Dgary
  • CowboydougCowboydoug Registered Users Posts: 401 Major grins
    edited August 2, 2011
    Piers Morgan...
    Somebody has to be Piers Morgan here and stop the platitudes and call this what it is...
    A not so flattering candid-shot of a dang horse.

I'm not going to be apologetic for being straight with you, someone has to.
    I am certain you have some great horse shots... this just isn't one of them.

To our friends out here who read this;
    I think when someone asks his peers for C & C, it is incumbent upon us to
    be candid... no pun intended. I look at this forum as a test-bed and a place
    where we can accumulate valuable input from our colleagues.

It is my hope my comments are received with the good intentions intended.
    I'm a Kidnapper... I take terrible pictures of people, then hold them for ransom.

Cowboydoug
    Certified Journeyman Commercial Photographer
    www.iWasThereToo.com
  • redleashredleash Registered Users Posts: 3,840 Major grins
    edited August 2, 2011
    FWIW, I don't consider my remarks to be platitudes. I actually like Gary's work a lot. You will find, CowboyDoug, that many of us do make critical comments and suggestions when warranted. It is also helpful to tell people what we do like about their work. I know that your comments, pro and con, will be appreciated because we are all here to learn from each other.

Lauren
    "But ask the animals, and they will teach you." (Job 12:7)

Lauren Blackwell
    www.redleashphoto.com
  • DaddyODaddyO Registered Users Posts: 4,466 Major grins
    edited August 2, 2011
    :D You know, I can't say as to why it is only just now that it comes to me just how much you love horses.
    Feel just a wee bit silly saying that on account I've seen enough images with horses in them from you that it
    should have been quite clear sometime ago, but there it is.
    Its like this one image cleared things up for me when I didn't even have a question. rolleyes1.gif
    If you use the book title "For The Love of Horses" would you kindly mention the assist? headscratch.gif

Outstanding image Gary thumb.gif A regular cherry in your tree of cherries.
    Michael
    edited August 2, 2011
    DaddyO wrote: »
    :D You know, I can't say as to why it is only just now that it comes to me just how much you love horses.
    Feel just a wee bit silly saying that on account I've seen enough images with horses in them from you that it
    should have been quite clear sometime ago, but there it is.
    Its like this one image cleared things up for me when I didn't even have a question. rolleyes1.gif
    If you use the book title "For The Love of Horses" would you kindly mention the assist? headscratch.gif

Outstanding image Gary thumb.gif A regular cherry in your tree of cherries.

THANKS Michael........:Dgary
    edited August 2, 2011
    Cowboydoug wrote: »
    Somebody has to be Piers Morgan here and stop the platitudes and call this what it is...
    A not so flattering candid-shot of a dang horse.

I'm not going to be apologetic for being straight with you, someone has to.
    I am certain you have some great horse shots... this just isn't one of them.

To our friends out here who read this;
    I think when someone asks his peers for C & C, it is incumbent upon us to
    be candid... no pun intended. I look at this forum as a test-bed and a place
    where we can accumulate valuable input from our colleagues.

It is my hope my comments are received with the good intentions intended.

Candid-shot unposed photos, often taken without the subjects knowledge...... I don't shoot posed pictures of horses, dogs or coyotes. Everything I shoot is a picture of opportunity....I like to catch them doing what they do, even if it is eating on a tree. My work may not be of interest to you....I do thank you for dropping in and commenting..........:Dgary
  • David-StallardDavid-Stallard Registered Users Posts: 252 Major grins
    edited August 3, 2011
    Don't care what anyone say's - it's a terrific 'candid' shot, one of those 'right place, right time' moments.

Well done Gary, love the colours as well

.DAVID.
    http://www.davidstallardphotography.com/

Take nothing but pictures. Leave nothing but footprints
    edited August 3, 2011
    it is off interest...
    Gary,

This thread has caused me a certain amount of consternation since yesterday.
    So at the risk of sticking my preverbal foot in my mouth I have an addition to make.

First let me say; your work is of interest to me and I had reviewed
    many of your images before writing in this thread. In fact, it was
    because so many of your images were stellar, that I wrote.

Look, I thought you were interested in some honest C & C and didn't feel
    you were getting it. I still feel I am right. It was NOT my intension to
    insult you or any other for that matter with my remarks. I guess I
    thought I made that clear... All the wonderful's just aggravated me.

And yes, I understand and appreciate candid
    photos
    but I think that a few seconds either way would have
    rendered you a two eared horse. With all the great colors you have in
    this image, I simply found it a huge distraction to see one ear poking out
    causing me to fixate on " it " rather than the image as a whole.

In reading the comments for your image I felt and still feel my comments
    were right and you were being dealt and injustice for fear of offending you.
    I think others should have mentioned the one eared horse is a distraction,
    albiet a wonderful image otherwise.
    I suppose I'm thinking more like an editor, considering our forum, which goes
    back to the C & C thing. Perhaps I need to relax more... Maybe take up golf or something:D

Thanks for hearing/reading me out and I hope we can C & C again.

Warm regards,
    I'm a Kidnapper... I take terrible pictures of people, then hold them for ransom.

Cowboydoug
    www.iWasThereToo.com
  • jirojiro Registered Users Posts: 1,865 Major grins
    edited August 4, 2011
    This image works for me. If I want to further explain myself as to the merit of the shot I can simply enumerate:

1. Color harmony. The shot used ANALOGOUS COLORS leaning on the warm tones that leads to a strong contrast.
    2. Diagonal movement of the main subject.
    3. Good use of the rule of thirds in composition.
    4. The main subject is sharper than the background.

Now, if I want to say that the image does not work for me then I need to further clarify my point. Better yet, in most cases when you are under the mentorship of a teacher or educator, usually they will point the demerits on your work and would even show you the thing that would make your image look better by editing it. Some individuals appreciate a good edit while others prefer not to let any people commenting on their work to edit it at all. Whatever the inclination of the one who posted the image, it will either help him grow more in his photographic journey or reduce it. I have found out that the DGrin family has helped me a lot by telling me straight to the point at what aspect of my shot doesn't work and why. As for Gary's horse image, it just simply works for me that well that I can only share "Well done, my friend." Just my 2 cents from a total newbie.
    Sitting quietly, doing nothing. Spring comes and the grass grows by itself.

http://imagesbyjirobau.blogspot.com/
  • oldovaloldoval Registered Users Posts: 456 Major grins
    edited August 4, 2011
    Cowboydoug wrote: »

In reading the comments for your image I felt and still feel my comments
    were right and you were being dealt and injustice for fear of offending you.
    I think others should have mentioned the one eared horse is a distraction,
    albiet a wonderful image otherwise.

This statement, whether you meant it to be or not, is actually pretty offensive. You're saying that all those who commented on Gary's image were basically pandering to him. What if we actually do enjoy the image and don't have a problem with the ear? I see two ears myself and don't find it a distraction in the least. Does this mean we have poor taste or a lack of photographic skill? Personally I'm quite comfortable with what I like and don't like in an image.
    edited August 4, 2011
    well there you have it then...
    well there you have it then... :deadhorse
    I guess that solves that

Cowboydoug
    www.iWasThereToo.com
    edited August 4, 2011
    Don't care what anyone say's - it's a terrific 'candid' shot, one of those 'right place, right time' moments.

Well done Gary, love the colours as well

.DAVID.

Thanks David for the nice comment....glad you liked it.........gary:D
    edited August 4, 2011
    jiro wrote: »
    This image works for me. If I want to further explain myself as to the merit of the shot I can simply enumerate:

1. Color harmony. The shot used ANALOGOUS COLORS leaning on the warm tones that leads to a strong contrast.
    2. Diagonal movement of the main subject.
    3. Good use of the rule of thirds in composition.
    4. The main subject is sharper than the background.

Now, if I want to say that the image does not work for me then I need to further clarify my point. Better yet, in most cases when you are under the mentorship of a teacher or educator, usually they will point the demerits on your work and would even show you the thing that would make your image look better by editing it. Some individuals appreciate a good edit while others prefer not to let any people commenting on their work to edit it at all. Whatever the inclination of the one who posted the image, it will either help him grow more in his photographic journey or reduce it. I have found out that the DGrin family has helped me a lot by telling me straight to the point at what aspect of my shot doesn't work and why. As for Gary's horse image, it just simply works for me that well that I can only share "Well done, my friend." Just my 2 cents from a total newbie.

Hi Jiro..........Thanks for the nice comment about my picture......And that is a well thought out paragraph on critiquing another persons work...... I always appreciate comments about my stuff, be it positive or negative..... There isn't anything worse than the lonely " 0" as it works way to the bottom of the page....rolleyes1.gif