Are we too Rigid?

13»

Comments

• KvPhotoKvPhoto Registered Users Posts: 364 Major grins
    edited February 19, 2007
    I am so glad to see this thread! I recently went to a lecture of Tony Sweet's at the New York City Sierra Club and realized that it IS ok to have things out of focus. It can work!
    My college degree, when I get to finish it, will be in photography. Before I left school a few years ago to work full time my photography professor told me that technically my printing and exposure is excellent but my creativity is lacking. (Mind you this was when I was still doing 35mm black and white, when I got my DSLR the whole world changed for me.) Before that I was taught that rules of third and sharp focusing was the basis of an excellent photograph. NOT SO!! I want to go out of the box, but have been afraid to based on what I was told in the past. Now I am just trying to find my 'vision', what it is that is my realm of photography. Trial and error can be a tedious thing but you wind up making what you think are mistakes but can turn out to be beautiful images.
    Now if my college only had a lighting class lol!
  • rorytaterorytate Registered Users Posts: 39 Big grins
    edited February 24, 2007
    Yes indeed, a refreshing post and thread. I've fled from several foto forums for these very reasons.

For myself, art is simply the quality of communication. Take your child's first crayon scrawls..tell me that's not a quality communication! And..truth be known, for the same reason, Ansel Adams has always left me chilled emotionally. I've rarely seen someone wax enthusiastic over the sharpness of an image or drool over the lack of chrominence noise.

I see so many emotionally expressive images on this site that I keep coming back for the pleasure. You just never know when anyone is just going to blow you away with their art. It just shouts, or murmmers, or chuckles or whispers or does something that is just such a unique communication.

So that's my exposition on the matter and I'm so pleased I was provoked into commenting.

Rory Tate
    Canadian, Okla.