Options

12% Gray card

EddyEddy Registered Users Posts: 320 Major grins
edited August 3, 2011 in Technique
hi All:
Anyone know where i can get a 12% gray card to dnload, Using the 18% is not for me.
Thanks in Advance
E.J.W

Great understanding is broad and unhurried, Little understanding is cramped and busy" ..... Chuang Tsu

Comments

• Options
    SamSam Registered Users Posts: 7,419 Major grins
    edited August 1, 2011
    Eddy wrote: »
    hi All:
    Anyone know where i can get a 12% gray card to dnload, Using the 18% is not for me.
    Thanks in Advance

You want to buy one or download one?

Sam
  • Options
    cmasoncmason Registered Users Posts: 2,506 Major grins
    edited August 2, 2011
    Downloading probably won't work too well, as you must print it, and ensure your printer is calibrated. They are cheap enough online, check for the Kodak cards at B&H or Adorama.

A number if photography books, like Kelby guides, have a tearout card in the back.

Personally, I prefer the Whibal card as it is calibrated and very durable.
  • Options
    edited August 2, 2011
    Either download or buy, everyone has the 18% gray card but hard to find the 12% version of the gray card.. thanks guys
    Eddy
    E.J.W

Great understanding is broad and unhurried, Little understanding is cramped and busy" ..... Chuang Tsu
  • Options
    SamSam Registered Users Posts: 7,419 Major grins
    edited August 2, 2011
    Either download or buy, everyone has the 18% gray card but hard to find the 12% version of the gray card.. thanks guys
    Eddy

Downloading isn't going to work, unless you have an absolute method for printing that will guarantee an exact color match for 12% gray. In reality if your really concerned about using 12% gray versus 18% gray you need to buy one.

Sam
  • Options
    pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,697 moderator
    edited August 3, 2011
    I am with Sam and Eddy, grey cards are bought, not printed at home. Too many variables with a home made one.

And they're pretty cheap too.
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • Options
    edited August 3, 2011
    Thanks Sam and Pathfinder, went looking last nigth but all i saw was 18% gray.. might have to order one through B+H
    TY
    Eddy
    E.J.W

• Options
    pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,697 moderator
    edited August 3, 2011
    I should ask, what precisely do you need the 12% grey card for?

18% grey cards were originally used for light metering with reflected light meters. Although they are frequently discussed as a white balance target, they are not always ideal for that task, and many camera manufacturers suggest using a white target, not a grey target for a custom white balance. Andrew Rodney says many grey cards are not a true neutral also.

I am not certain I know what the 12% is preferred for.
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • Options
    edited August 3, 2011
    Wb
    Just trying to figure out why Nikon Usa and Japan have 2 different answers for WB..I do prefer the 12% but i wanna be 100% sure

http://bythom.com/graycards.htm

There are two questions that need to be asked (and of engineers at Nikon that would know of what we speak, not the Nikon USA folk who read translated documentation and learned from the same Photography 101 books we did):
    Does Nikon calibrate its meters to ANSI standards? (My previous conversations with Nikon engineers leads me to believe the answer is yes Would you need a 12% gray card to get the correct exposure using an ANSI calibrated meter (i.e., is the luminance setting for ANSI really equivalent to 12% reflectance?)? (I believe the answer is again yes, but we can make do with 18% gray cards. Simply take a reading with the card angled between the lens axis and light source, then open up 1/2 stop
    You'll note that some recent Kodak gray cards have had a somewhat cryptic message on them about using compensation to get correct results. There have been several threads on photo.net discussing this issue without resolution:
    E.J.W

• Options
    Dan7312Dan7312 Registered Users Posts: 1,330 Major grins
    edited August 3, 2011
    Don't know if this helps clarify grayness but Sekonic sells gray cards that correspond to the gray their meters are calibrated against. The don't say what the % the gray is. However some of their meters can be calibrated against the camera you are using so that meter reading shows you the mid-tone aperature setting of the camera and where it falls in the dynamic range of the camera.

Just trying to figure out why Nikon Usa and Japan have 2 different answers for WB..I do prefer the 12% but i wanna be 100% sure

http://bythom.com/graycards.htm

There are two questions that need to be asked (and of engineers at Nikon that would know of what we speak, not the Nikon USA folk who read translated documentation and learned from the same Photography 101 books we did):
    Does Nikon calibrate its meters to ANSI standards? (My previous conversations with Nikon engineers leads me to believe the answer is yes Would you need a 12% gray card to get the correct exposure using an ANSI calibrated meter (i.e., is the luminance setting for ANSI really equivalent to 12% reflectance?)? (I believe the answer is again yes, but we can make do with 18% gray cards. Simply take a reading with the card angled between the lens axis and light source, then open up 1/2 stop
    You'll note that some recent Kodak gray cards have had a somewhat cryptic message on them about using compensation to get correct results. There have been several threads on photo.net discussing this issue without resolution: