My first pano..

TammiGTammiG Registered Users Posts: 5 Beginner grinner
edited August 2, 2011 in Landscapes
I can't believe I'm just finding this place! This is my first cs5 panoramic including 6 images. C&C welcome.

Comments

• CowboydougCowboydoug Registered Users Posts: 401 Major grins
    edited August 2, 2011
    are ya ready?
    Are ya sitting down and ready? Good...
    1st off... welcome, I'm a nube to Dgrin and SmugMug too. I think both are the perfect place for
    you, me... all of us to be... it's like church without the sore knees mwink.gif and is a great learning Institution.

For your 1st pano I think you did great... Having said that... In this case you got lucky...
    Let me explain what I see... Your camera did not spin level. How do I know?

The only question is... did you mean for that to happen? I think the result is very nice and certainly acceptable but in
    the same breath, not being level can be a death nail in panoramas. Don't get me wrong, it's ok to have the camera
    tilted but great care should be taken to always be level.

The only thing I would like to see is a little more saturation... and remove what might be the moon
    (a tiny white dot in the center of the image that caught my eye right away).

I'd like to see more 2 thumb.gifthumb
    I'm a Kidnapper... I take terrible pictures of people, then hold them for ransom.

Cowboydoug
    Certified Journeyman Commercial Photographer
    www.iWasThereToo.com
  • wolf911wolf911 Registered Users Posts: 273 Major grins
    edited August 2, 2011
    yea, the sky is nice, but the uneven ground horizon is a bit distracting
  • aj986saj986s Registered Users Posts: 1,100 Major grins
    edited August 2, 2011
    I think its a very good 1st attempt. The lack of clarity caught my attention. But I like to sky & colors.

As far as the horizon, I'm seeing it as rolling terrain, so the lack of level line isn't distracting to me. As it would be if the horizon was over water. I've only attempted a few pano's, so don't have alot of experience. Technically, I guess the gurus may be seeing something I don't. But aesthetically, I think the horizon is fine.
    Tony P.
    Canon 50D, 30D and Digital Rebel (plus some old friends - FTB and AE1)
    Long-time amateur.....wishing for more time to play
    Autocross and Track junkie
    tonyp.smugmug.com
  • TammiGTammiG Registered Users Posts: 5 Beginner grinner
    edited August 2, 2011
    Thank you! You are correct - the camera wasn't level....it was hand held.
    The tiny dot in the center is a star....now that you mention it, it is a little distracting because you cant' really tell what it is.

Next one, I will try a tripod.

Question - How do you manage the enormous file size when working on a pano? In this case, I had to reduce the file size of each image prior to merging. I guess I will need to beef up my computer memory if I plan on doing many of these!
  • CowboydougCowboydoug Registered Users Posts: 401 Major grins
    edited August 2, 2011
    Tell us about...
    Tell us about your PC, what are you running & shooting with?
    I shoot a 5d II and have pushed huge fills through less than stellar PC's and
    yes, it can become "a bit slow" :deadhorse but I wouldn't chop your file size to
    accommodate your computer, unless it's a shot you can easily recreate or one
    you don't really care about.

Show us some more of your stuff9496500-Ti.gif
    I'm a Kidnapper... I take terrible pictures of people, then hold them for ransom.

Cowboydoug
    Certified Journeyman Commercial Photographer
    www.iWasThereToo.com
  • dbddbd Registered Users Posts: 216 Major grins
    edited August 2, 2011
    TammiG wrote: »
    ... This is my first cs5 panoramic including 6 images. C&C welcome.

You might consider using cylindrical projection ("layout" in CS5-speak) for a more natural presentation of wide panoramas.

Dale B. Dalrymple
    "Give me a lens long enough and a place to stand and I can image the earth."
    ...with apology to Archimedies