Options

Wnba

FirstteamFirstteam Registered Users Posts: 53 Big grins
edited August 6, 2011 in Sports
Shot a couple of WNBA games while I was in NYC. All images taken with a Nikon D700, 70-200 F/2.8 or 300mm F/2.8. C & C always welcome! Thanks and Enjoy!

CCM11062640_Sparks_v_Liberty.JPG
26 June 2011: New York Liberty guard Leilani Mitchell (5) reaches for a loose ball in front of Los Angeles Sparks guard Kristi Toliver (20) during the first half at the Prudential Center in Newark, NJ.

CCM11062609_Sparks_v_Liberty.JPG
26 June 2011: Los Angeles Sparks guard Natasha Lacy (1) elevates for a lay up in front of New York Liberty forward/guard Essence Carson (17) during the second half at the Prudential Center in Newark, NJ.

CCM11062638_Sparks_v_Liberty.JPG
26 June 2011: 2011 New York Knicks draft picks Josh Harrellson (left) and Iman Shumpert (center) sit court side at the WNBA game between New York Liberty and the Los Angeles Sparks at the Prudential Center in Newark, NJ. Shumpert was celebrating his 21st birthday at the game.

CCM11062633_Sparks_v_Liberty.JPG
26 June 2011: Los Angeles Sparks forward Tina Thompson (32) takes a shot over New York Liberty forward/guard Essence Carson (17) during the first half at the Prudential Center in Newark, NJ.

CCM11070106_Silver_Stars_v_Liberty.JPG
01 July 2011: San Antonio Silver Stars head coach Dan Hughes is upset with an officials call late in the second half against the New York Liberty at the Prudential Center in Newark, NJ. The Liberty won the game 81-75.

CCM11062628_Sparks_v_Liberty.JPG
26 June 2011: New York Liberty guard Cappie Pondexter (23) splits the defense of Los Angeles Sparks forward Candace Parker (3) and guard Kristi Toliver (20) during the first half at the Prudential Center in Newark, NJ.

CCM11070145_Silver_Stars_v_Liberty.JPG
01 July 2011: New York Liberty guard Cappie Pondexter (23) reacts to a call during the second half against the San Antonio Silver Stars at the Prudential Center in Newark, NJ.

CCM11062631_Sparks_v_Liberty.jpg
26 June 2011: Los Angeles Sparks forward Candace Parker (3) drives to the basket around the defense of New York Liberty forward Nicole Powell (14) during the second half at the Prudential Center in Newark, NJ. The Liberty won the game 77-67.

CCM11062654_Sparks_v_Liberty.JPG
26 June 2011: Los Angeles Sparks forward DeLisha Milton-Jones (8) elevates to the basket for a lay up in front of New York Liberty forward Nicole Powell (14) during the second half against the New York Liberty at the Prudential Center in Newark, NJ.

CCM11070138_Silver_Stars_v_Liberty.JPG
01 July 2011: New York Liberty guard Leilani Mitchell (5) makes a pass around the defense of San Antonio Silver Stars guard Becky Hammon (25) during the second half at the Prudential Center in Newark, NJ.

CCM11070122_Silver_Stars_v_Liberty.JPG
01 July 2011: New York Liberty guard Cappie Pondexter (23) takes a shot during the first half against the San Antonio Silver Stars at the Prudential Center in Newark, NJ.

CCM11070128_Silver_Stars_v_Liberty.JPG
01 July 2011: San Antonio Silver Stars guard Becky Hammon (25) elevates for a shot around a host of New York Liberty players during the second half at the Prudential Center in Newark, NJ.

Comments

• Options
    johngjohng Registered Users Posts: 1,658 Major grins
    edited August 2, 2011
    Strong action series. Some good shots here. But WB appears off in most. Otherwise a great set.
  • Options
    edited August 2, 2011
    johng wrote: »
    Strong action series. Some good shots here. But WB appears off in most. Otherwise a great set.

Thanks. Agree on the WB. WB in this arena was all over the place depending what area of the court you were shooting at. I find that to be the case in most.
  • Options
    splashtracksplashtrack Registered Users Posts: 32 Big grins
    edited August 2, 2011
    Hello!
    Impressive shots!
    Which was your attitude regarding the WB setup? Auto WB?
    I'm about to shot some images in an arena and never faced indoors.
    Thanks!

PS. #2 is very nice!
  • Options
    edited August 2, 2011
    Hello!
    Impressive shots!
    Which was your attitude regarding the WB setup? Auto WB?
    I'm about to shot some images in an arena and never faced indoors.
    Thanks!

PS. #2 is very nice!

Thanks. I used Kelvin balance for one game and used an ExpoDisc for the other. Both causing the pics to be a little too green-ish.
  • Options
    David EvertsenDavid Evertsen Registered Users Posts: 524 Major grins
    edited August 3, 2011
    Firstteam wrote: »
    Thanks. I used Kelvin balance for one game and used an ExpoDisc for the other. Both causing the pics to be a little too green-ish.

Did you shoot RAW or JPEG?? You could save some of them with the eyedropper, that is why I shoot AWB indooors and RAW.
  • Options
    edited August 3, 2011
    Did you shoot RAW or JPEG?? You could save some of them with the eyedropper, that is why I shoot AWB indooors and RAW.

I only shoot JPEG unless I am doing a portrait. I was shooting for a wire service so depending on the game I am taking 200-400 frames per half. I am sure you would agree it is just a faster process to sort the pics in Photo Mechanic, crop and a slight "touch up" if needed in Photoshop then return back to PM to caption using JPEG images. As long as the WB is not way off, they could get picked up.

CP3.jpg
  • Options
    edited August 3, 2011
    I only shoot JPEG unless I am doing a portrait. I was shooting for a wire service so depending on the game I am taking 200-400 frames per half. I am sure you would agree it is just a faster process to sort the pics in Photo Mechanic, crop and a slight "touch up" if needed in Photoshop then return back to PM to caption using JPEG images. As long as the WB is not way off, they could get picked up.

CP3.jpg

is it yours?
  • Options
    edited August 3, 2011
    is it yours?

Yes sir. Link to the story the photo went to is here with the same pic. http://sports.espn.go.com/wnba/columns/story?columnist=voepel_mechelle&id=6712460
  • Options
    edited August 3, 2011
    Yes sir. Link to the story the photo went to is here with the same pic. http://sports.espn.go.com/wnba/columns/story?columnist=voepel_mechelle&id=6712460

Congrats! Very nice picture btw!
    My dream is having a picture printed in a cover...someday ;)
  • Options
    jonh68jonh68 Registered Users Posts: 2,711 Major grins
    edited August 3, 2011
    Great set. I'm impressed by both composition and sharpness.
  • Options
    jonh68jonh68 Registered Users Posts: 2,711 Major grins
    edited August 3, 2011

Shooting RAW when on a deadline or wire service is a time killer, and you can use the WB eyedropper on jpg too if needed.
  • Options
    David EvertsenDavid Evertsen Registered Users Posts: 524 Major grins
    edited August 4, 2011
    jonh68 wrote: »
    Shooting RAW when on a deadline or wire service is a time killer, and you can use the WB eyedropper on jpg too if needed.

Agreed, did not see he was shooting for a wire service. Most folks I know have a preset for JPG WB settings and just run with it for each arena they shoot..
  • Options
    travischancetravischance Registered Users Posts: 642 Major grins
    edited August 6, 2011
    Great series. Well done.
    Travis M. Chance
    twin Mark IV's & a bunch of "L" glass
    sitefacebook