Options

Sending photo's via email

EEBEEB Registered Users Posts: 65 Big grins
edited August 5, 2011 in Mind Your Own Business
Not sure this is the right place but if you are sending photos via email to a customer. Do you charge sales tax if they are in the same state as you are? Anyone else in PA doing this?

Thanks

Comments

• Options
    SlowWalkereSlowWalkere Registered Users Posts: 7 Beginner grinner
    edited August 3, 2011
    EEB wrote: »
    Not sure this is the right place but if you are sending photos via email to a customer. Do you charge sales tax if they are in the same state as you are? Anyone else in PA doing this?

Thanks

From the PA department of Revenue...
    Photographers, photo finishers and photo-refinishers are vendors of photographs, materials and services purchased by their customers, whether or not produced to the special order of the customer. The photographer or photo finisher shall collect and remit tax upon the total purchase price charged for the photographs or services.

That's some fairly broad language that doesn't specify about digital downloads / e-mails. However, I would assume that they could make a good case that an e-mailed photo is either "a photograph" or part of the photographic services for which you are charging. To be on the safe side, I would say yes it would be a good idea to collect/remit the sales tax.

Usual disclaimers apply: I'm not an accountant nor an attorney, and I live next door in New Jersey...

- Brian
  • Options
    AngeloAngelo Super Moderators Posts: 8,937 moderator
    edited August 4, 2011
    method of conveyance has no bearing on your responsibility to collect sales tax if you are the conductor of the sale

• Options
    Mark DickinsonMark Dickinson Registered Users Posts: 337 Major grins
    edited August 5, 2011
    In florida my accountant said to charge the tax because it is so vague even when supplying non tangible products (digital) since they are still physical items in nature