Options

What do you say to clients so they smile?

ssersser Registered Users Posts: 233 Major grins
edited August 14, 2011 in Weddings
I thought this would be a fun thread to start.

What do you say right before the hit the shutter to make them laugh, smile etc.?

Family shots i'll say "pretend you like eachother" this always seems to work, another one i'll say "don't worry about smiling i'll photoshop it later"

Comments

• Options
    ScootersbabygirlScootersbabygirl Registered Users Posts: 224 Major grins
    edited August 2, 2011
    Laughing.gif - I say things like that as well! I say "pretend you like each other" too (too funny) and I say "you're married now - it's okay to touch each other" - things like that. I like the photoshop phrase, though! I may use that next wedding!! :)
  • Options
    Moogle PepperMoogle Pepper Registered Users Posts: 2,950 Major grins
    edited August 2, 2011
    I just let them be themselves. But if it gets a little stiff I crack jokes.
    Food & Culture.
    www.tednghiem.com
  • Options
    sphyngesphynge Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 172
    edited August 3, 2011
    What?? you're married??
    I say... "pretend you like each other. You know. A little" ;-)
  • Options
    Mark1616Mark1616 Registered Users Posts: 319 Major grins
    edited August 3, 2011
    Similar sort of things, like "OK, lets pretend it's a wedding and we are having fun", I also get them to 'gossip', this always gives some narural fun shots and gets away from everyone just looking at the camera. I like shots where people are interacting rather than just looking at me.

I'm here to learn so please feel free to give me constructive criticism to help me become the photographer I desire to be.

• Options
    AWPhotoAWPhoto Registered Users Posts: 8 Beginner grinner
    edited August 3, 2011
    This is great, I do similar but it depends on the couple. When I want the couple to get closer I'll say something like "its ok, i shook his hand, he really doesn't smell that bad". Or for the groom its "smile now, in a few months it'll just be 'yes dear'". Or whatever. I'm pretty random :)
  • Options
    FoquesFoques Registered Users Posts: 1,951 Major grins
    edited August 3, 2011
    funny. I was going to start a thread like that soon.

How do you talk to the couple and to the family in general? How do you guys approach the shots with bridesmaids and groomsmen?
    Arseny - the too honest guy.
    My Site
    My Facebook
  • Options
    zoomerzoomer Registered Users Posts: 3,688 Major grins
    edited August 3, 2011
  • Options
    ScootersbabygirlScootersbabygirl Registered Users Posts: 224 Major grins
    edited August 4, 2011
    Yup, same here. Weddings are supposed to be fun! EVERY wedding I've ever done has people coming up to me and going "you did a terrific job" before they even saw any of the photos! Attitude is huge in weddings and if they like you they're more willing to laugh and be open and then you'll get some seriously amazing shots.
  • Options
    tenoverthenosetenoverthenose Registered Users Posts: 815 Major grins
    edited August 4, 2011
    I usually tell them to picture me naked. That will get them laughing.

Seriously though, if anything I am asking them not to smile (just my taste) which will of course make them smile. I've never really had a problem with this in the slightest. By the wedding day, my clients and I normally have a pretty good feel for each other so we are all relaxed and enjoying the day. Oh yeah, and they are with their life long partner...
  • Options
    sphyngesphynge Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 172
    edited August 5, 2011
    For large groups, I usually use a trigger that I kinda hide, and I pretend to be setting up. Then I ask people if they know how it works ;-)
  • Options
    SequoiaSequoia Registered Users Posts: 20 Big grins
    edited August 7, 2011
    Does it work to say "Now don't smile" ?

Works for our children. Then they can't fight back the grin or smile.
  • Options
    VayCayMomVayCayMom Registered Users Posts: 1,870 Major grins
    edited August 8, 2011
    Whisper some sweet nothings in your spouses ear!!
    Trudy
    www.CottageInk.smugmug.com

NIKON D700
  • Options
    ShimaShima Registered Users Posts: 2,547 Major grins
    edited August 12, 2011
    I tell them all to frown really hard and then they usually end up busting into giggles :)
  • Options
    ThatCanonGuyThatCanonGuy Registered Users Posts: 1,778 Major grins
    edited August 14, 2011
    I don't shoot weddings, but I have some tricks at getting people to smile: "You can stop laughing..." (this works well when you need one person to smile, ie, "Uncle Joe, you can stop laughing any time now...") or "OK folks, we need you to look cheerful for this.... So I want you to PRETEND you're having a good time!"

Also, a good trick to avoid blinking is to count down: "3...2...1..." but take the photo on 1.