Specters

Wicked_DarkWicked_Dark Registered Users Posts: 1,138 Major grins
edited August 8, 2011 in Other Cool Shots
I remain obsessed by Indian pipes, a saprophytic wildflower which means they do not have chlorophyll (which is why they're not green) and do not photosynthesize for energy. Instead they absorb it through roots alone and have a symbiotic relationship with certain bacterias that assist in the process. I've had this shot in my head for a while and found the perfect flowers yesterday - one even has a petal missing to show off the internal structure. Only other photographers will understand how happy that makes me.

Past-the-Sound-of-L.jpg

Olympus E-30 | legacy OM 90mm f2 macro | f8 | 1/20 sec | barley bag ground support | Lightroom PP

Comments

• DaddyODaddyO Registered Users Posts: 4,466 Major grins
    edited August 3, 2011
    Obsession kinda tells it all. Nuff said there ya? :D
    Nice shot. Nice Bokeh. Still, and this is just me, I would like to see both specimens in focus though I understand there not necessarily be a huge need for it.
    Michael
  • Wicked_DarkWicked_Dark Registered Users Posts: 1,138 Major grins
    edited August 3, 2011
    you wantcha focus? I gotcha focus right here, Micheal. :D

6005259142_692f38f5f2_b.jpg

hee. I couldn't resist. The DOF needed to get those in focus made the background REALLY distracting, so I opted for a shallower one. And I like to get an OOF duplicate to echo the main subject; I do it a lot with wildflowers. It's my thang.

thanks for the compliment on the bokeh. I shot the first one here with my 80s vintage OM 90mm f2 macro and it really delivers outstanding bokeh.
  • DaddyODaddyO Registered Users Posts: 4,466 Major grins
    edited August 3, 2011
    :bread Now why doesn't that surprise me? :D
    Can't read this kind of story in nice bokeh alone. This new added one here gets to share the environment off just right for me. Sweet DOF btw. That rotted old stump. Green moistness. Thick woods. Abundant pine needles around the main event. I could have just rolled over on my blanky to be treated with that view. Nice piece of work. In either shot. I just really like the 2nd shared. thumb.gif
    Michael
    edited August 5, 2011
    thanks much.

I put a whole album together on this project over on Google+, but there's not a whole lot of finesse about them yet, I can't even find a URL for it. Bah.
  • CornflakeCornflake Registered Users Posts: 3,346 Major grins
    edited August 5, 2011
    They look fascinating and I can understand why they grab you. Fine shots.
  • WernerGWernerG Registered Users Posts: 534 Major grins
    edited August 5, 2011
    I like the second also, the OOF stump is uniform enough isolate the pipes nicely. I don't think that the rest of the forest clutter is distracting, it sets the scene. The pipes themselves are well separated from everything else. Nicely done.
    edited August 5, 2011
    thanks guys, my obsessions are usually a bit too off the track to appeal to many. The two shots I have here are very different and I have more in my head that have yet to materialize.
    edited August 5, 2011
    "my obsessions are usually a bit too off the track to appeal to many."

Appealing to many is overrated.
    edited August 6, 2011
    that is true, but sometimes it does make one question one's makeup. Luckily I'm mostly over that. : D
  • DogdotsDogdots Registered Users Posts: 8,795 Major grins
    edited August 6, 2011
    It's always nice when one finds exactly what their looking for and then able to photography it so nicely.

#1 is my favorite.
    edited August 6, 2011
    thanks Mary. If anyone saw me discover then photograph these they would have thought me nuts. I think I actually squealed.
    edited August 6, 2011
    thanks Mary. If anyone saw me discover then photograph these they would have thought me nuts. I think I actually squealed.

Squealing is good sometimes .. adds to the 'fun' of discovery rolleyes1.gifroflrolleyes1.gif
    edited August 6, 2011
    very true. Here's another portrait while I'm at it -

6005389179_d0b859b68e_z.jpg
    edited August 6, 2011
    very true. Here's another portrait while I'm at it -

6005389179_d0b859b68e_z.jpg

Never even visualized this in BW, but it works really good thumb.gif
    edited August 8, 2011
    edited August 8, 2011
    Yes, they are the same. I'm going out to try for some more tomorrow. At least, that's the plan.