Two days later....

divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
edited August 5, 2011 in People
Some of y'all saw the quick shots I posted of The Child and The Dawg a couple of days ago.

Well, The Child let me have a few more yesterday, after a snazzy new haircut. She's been angling for coloured streaks for a while, and we'd agreed she could have it done before 8th grade started. My price was to get to take some more pictures :D

In any case, nothing terribly special and possibly just "mom shots", but C&C always welcomed!!! 7d+24-70/Lensbaby+430ex bounced off white porch ceiling/light-grey house.

1 New do

i-HgdPS27-XL.jpg

And some Lensbaby love, although I really have to remember not to try and shoot with anytihing wider than f4 with this - these are f2.8 and I'm so bad at manual focusing that I invariably miss! Still, I do love the effect, and until the day when I can justify/afford a tiltshift.... :D

2. i-kHxt8Pk-M.jpg

3 And a BW, since the WB was bugging me (I really need to gel my flash when I use it for fill, but I can never remember which way to go with it. We were in open shade ~6pm in the northern hemisphere, but it was overcast. CTO? CTB? Bleah. I always get it wrong.)

i-wxD7z63-M.jpg

Comments

• bmoreshooterbmoreshooter Registered Users Posts: 210 Major grins
    edited August 3, 2011
    She looks a lot like your avatar in #1, just needs some shades. Not a big fan of the lensbaby look. I have not seen a shot taken with one yet that I actually like.
  • lilmommalilmomma Registered Users Posts: 1,060 Major grins
    edited August 3, 2011
    i love the pink streaks! and I have to disagree about the lensbaby, i really like it :)
  • divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
    edited August 3, 2011
    I love the Lensbaby look myselff, but I really need to remember to leave the f4 disk in it; this was 2.8, and it's near impossible for me to snag clean focus in this kind of shot without more depth of field. But I still like it, and it's the closest I'm going to get to a TS or the 85L 1.2 for quite some time, so I may as well learn to make it work for me rolleyes1.gif

Everybody says she looks like me, although I just don't see it - she is WAY prettier than I was at that age (or any age!) and, while there's certainly a resemblance, I see tons of daddy and both of her grandfathers in there too (my husband was also dark, although went silver very early, so people don't make the connection right away).
  • BilsenBilsen Registered Users Posts: 2,143 Major grins
    edited August 3, 2011
    NOW DivaMum I get to not like something. wings.gif

She's a pretty kid and # 1 is cute as all get out. HOWEVER, going for that wide open Av blurred the front eye in # 2. eek7.gif

Won't argue with you about style but that's a big No no to me.

I assume we'll just agree to disagree here too.
    Bilsen (the artist formerly known as John Galt NY)
    Canon 600D; Canon 1D Mk2;
    24-105 f4L IS; 70-200 f4L IS; 50mm 1.4; 28-75 f2.8; 55-250 IS; 580EX & (2) 430EX Flash,
    Model Galleries: http://bilsen.zenfolio.com/
    Everything Else: www.pbase.com/bilsen
    edited August 3, 2011
    No disagreement here! Like I said... I need to make sure that I only use the Lensbaby at f4 and more stopped down. If it'd been a client, I'd have taken the time to go in the house and get the disks and stopped it down (the aperture is phsyically, rather than electronically, changed on an LB). But since it was just for fun I decided to have a go anyway thumb.gif.
  • VayCayMomVayCayMom Registered Users Posts: 1,870 Major grins
    edited August 5, 2011
    I like #2!! I like the color combo, red and green, and then the third color ( skin) being the only color in focus. I like it alot !
    Trudy
    www.CottageInk.smugmug.com

NIKON D700
    edited August 5, 2011
    Thanks Trudy thumb.gif

One other from the Lensbaby shots - this one actually does get both eyes in focus rolleyes1.gif. For some reason I'm really enjoying BW conversions with this look, although the more traditionally processed one is kind of fun because the bg gets a sort of dreamy, glowy look from the lens effect.

i-LbpX8nG-L.jpg
  • BradfordBennBradfordBenn Registered Users Posts: 2,506 Major grins
    edited August 5, 2011
    Nice shooting DM. I agree that #1 could be your avatar just san sunglasses + some hair striping. The B&W Conversion is very nice on the shot above, but I think you lose some of her age, she looks older than she is.

Also remember what I always say, sometimes a snapshot that captures the time and emotion is more important than a photograph.
    -=Bradford

Pictures | Website | Blog | Twitter | Contact
    edited August 5, 2011
    Also remember what I always say, sometimes a snapshot that captures the time and emotion is more important than a photograph.

Yup - you bet! Fortunately, plenty of those in the series as well :D I'm so glad I have all these shots of her from the last few years (which is why I save the "bad" ones as well as the more photographically successful) and I know that I'll even be MORE glad down the line once she's all growed up!! iloveyou.gifcryiloveyou.gif