HDR Church

PhotoDavid78PhotoDavid78 Registered Users Posts: 939 Major grins
edited August 4, 2011 in Landscapes
So I just got into HDR after joining Google+ and following photographers like trey ratcliff and others. Here is one of my attempts. I actually didn't take different exposures in camera, I took an older photo and made 5 different exposures using levels in PS and then combining them with photomatix. Please let me know what you think. Can this method be still considered High Dynamic Range?

lightAnd4moretonemapped-L.jpg
David Weiss | Canon 5D Mark III | FujiFilm XT-4 | iPhone
My Website
Facebook | Twitter | | VSCOgrid | Instagram |

Comments

• PhotoDavid78PhotoDavid78 Registered Users Posts: 939 Major grins
    edited August 3, 2011
    anyone?
    My Website
  • David_S85David_S85 Administrators Posts: 13,240 moderator
    edited August 3, 2011
    Yes, it is still HDR since you combined from different exposures made in post. If you did that from a RAW exposure, then that's better than from an 8-bit JPG. Maybe not as effective as 3 or 5 different shots at different exposures, but that doesn't matter here, since you said it was from an older shot where HDR wasn't in the plans. Going on to the pic itself - I can clearly see the halos over the trees and that bothers me as a viewer. The colors also seem too intense (saturated). The scene and comp are pleasing though.
    My Smugmug
    "You miss 100% of the shots you don't take" - Wayne Gretzky
    edited August 3, 2011
    David_S85 wrote: »
    Yes, it is still HDR since you combined from different exposures made in post. If you did that from a RAW exposure, then that's better than from an 8-bit JPG. Maybe not as effective as 3 or 5 different shots at different exposures, but that doesn't matter here, since you said it was from an older shot where HDR wasn't in the plans. Going on to the pic itself - I can clearly see the halos over the trees and that bothers me as a viewer. The colors also seem too intense (saturated). The scene and comp are pleasing though.

Thank you for the advice. These are jpegs. I took this a few years ago before I started shooting RAW. My next step is to find a new subject and actually shoot at different exposures.
    I have the stand alone version of photomatix. Do you know if you can import RAW into it?
    My Website
  • David_S85David_S85 Administrators Posts: 13,240 moderator
    edited August 3, 2011
    dtw78 wrote: »
    Do you know if you can import RAW into it?

I don't use it myself. Someone will chime in.
    My Smugmug
    "You miss 100% of the shots you don't take" - Wayne Gretzky
  • CameronCameron Registered Users Posts: 745 Major grins
    edited August 3, 2011
    I have the stand alone version of photomatix. Do you know if you can import RAW into it?

Yes, you can import actual RAW files, but you don't have much control over the RAW processing. It would probably be better to use your camera-specific software, or something like Lightroom to export 16-bit TIFF files that can then be imported into Photomatix. I don't use it that much so someone who does lots of HDR will probably have a more detailed answer for you. ;)
    edited August 4, 2011
    Sounds like a plan. Thanks guys
    My Website
  • eoren1eoren1 Registered Users Posts: 2,391 Major grins
    edited August 4, 2011
    David-
    Take a read on Trey's Stuck in Customs site for detailed walkthroughs.
    For starters, I recommend shooting at +/- 1EV (in Av mode) and often will get 6 brackets in total unless the dynamic range isn't large.
    Import RAW into LR and then use the Export to Photomatix plugin.
    Don't forget to process the photo in LR afterwards. It can always use some added blacks and contrast as well as sharpening.
    edited August 4, 2011
    eoren1 wrote: »
    David-
    Take a read on Trey's Stuck in Customs site for detailed walkthroughs.
    For starters, I recommend shooting at +/- 1EV (in Av mode) and often will get 6 brackets in total unless the dynamic range isn't large.
    Import RAW into LR and then use the Export to Photomatix plugin.
    Don't forget to process the photo in LR afterwards. It can always use some added blacks and contrast as well as sharpening.

I always use photoshop afterwards for my sharpening etc. I don't have lightroom. Also I have the stand alone program for photomatix, not the plug in.
    My Website
  • hawkeye978hawkeye978 Registered Users Posts: 1,218 Major grins
    edited August 4, 2011
    You can always process the RAW files and then import them into the stand along PhotoMatix. That way you have a little more control over the individual images. I also find that with HDR that it will generate strong contrast everywhere so your brain gets overloaded. With my workflow I will take the HDR image back into Photoshop and then tone down the strong contrast except for the areas where I want to emphasize to lead the viewer through the image.
    edited August 4, 2011
    Thanks for everybody's advice!
    My Website
  • ryanerbryanerb Registered Users Posts: 2 Beginner grinner
    edited August 4, 2011
    My only comment is that it doesn't appear to be a high contrast scenario. Trey usually takes shots where you have a lot of light in one part of the picture, and darkness in the other. Think sunsets, etc. Your picture seems like it was maybe taken mid-day when there wasn't much light contrast? I'm a newb too, but this is my evaluation. Correct me if I'm wrong.
    edited August 4, 2011
    ryanerb wrote: »
    My only comment is that it doesn't appear to be a high contrast scenario. Trey usually takes shots where you have a lot of light in one part of the picture, and darkness in the other. Think sunsets, etc. Your picture seems like it was maybe taken mid-day when there wasn't much light contrast? I'm a newb too, but this is my evaluation. Correct me if I'm wrong.

No, not midday at all. look at the light hitting the sides of the church creating light on one side and shadow on the other. In no way was it sunset either though.
    My Website
  • ryanerbryanerb Registered Users Posts: 2 Beginner grinner
    edited August 4, 2011
    No, not midday at all. look at the light hitting the sides of the church creating light on one side and shadow on the other. In no way was it sunset either though.

sounds good. i think HDR can really be interesting when you have a lot of foreground mixed with background, and i think that what was lacking for me in this picture, that its a little flat with most of the subject far away. Awesome shot though, can't wait to see more of your hdr once you go out and play.
    edited August 4, 2011
    ryanerb wrote: »
    sounds good. i think HDR can really be interesting when you have a lot of foreground mixed with background, and i think that what was lacking for me in this picture, that its a little flat with most of the subject far away. Awesome shot though, can't wait to see more of your hdr once you go out and play.

This is another with foreground and background

lionatthe-forbiddencity-L.jpg
    My Website