client wants to edit my pics....

KristineDurkin79KristineDurkin79 Registered Users Posts: 29 Big grins
edited August 4, 2011 in People
Ok...so I have a session on Saturday, and the client only wants a disc of my edited photos.....No problem....but then she made a statement that she wants to edit them when she gets home....:scratch....I didn't know how to respond, I asked her what she meant by "edit them when she gets home", and she said she wanted to make some b&w, and some writing, etc. Has anyone else had someone do this? I feel like I should explain to her that she cant edit my photos..but I guess I need to know if I'm allowed to say that? Or what I should do.....

I swear....out of all my jobs, this has been the most difficult when it comes to dealing with people. Some people are so easy to deal with, and absolutely happy. But I seem to have found the people who want something for nothing. Normally I offer 30-50 shots per gallery, and I had one person get upset with me because she thought there was going to be more. Am I the only one who has to deal with difficult people? Ugh...makes me want to quit sometimes....

Comments

• zoomerzoomer Registered Users Posts: 3,688 Major grins
    edited August 4, 2011
    Once you have been paid and delivered the product not much you can do about it.
    I would tell her to make sure that any photos she messes with to make sure your name is not associated with them in any way.

I have had some people do edits to my photos and then put them on Facebook, weird crops and effects....I have a little different opinion than most photographers in this area probably.

Yeah you can tell her she can't edit your photos....but good luck with that :).
  • ScootersbabygirlScootersbabygirl Registered Users Posts: 224 Major grins
    edited August 4, 2011
    I'm with Zoomer - just make sure that your watermark isn't on the photos and she'll do whatever she wants with them. I'm of the opinion that photos belong to the client, but something that was edited that I didn't approve of I wouldn't want my name on.
  • HackboneHackbone Registered Users Posts: 4,027 Major grins
    edited August 4, 2011
    If you give her the files she will do with them what she wants. Whatever she does to the files will the public assume that was your work??????? What if it turns out horrible!! Does make a case for not selling the files. Then agian if you get enough for your files....why care!!??
  • rontront Registered Users Posts: 1,473 Major grins
    edited August 4, 2011
    This is an area that I know NOTHING about, so my question will probably seem very dumb!! If they buy the disk, are they not free to do whatever they want to with them? Of maybe you could sell them a disk of unedited photos?

Ron
    "The question is not what you look at, but what you see". Henry David Thoreau

http://ront.smugmug.com/
    Nikon D600, Nikon 85 f/1.8G, Nikon 24-120mm f/4, Nikon 70-300, Nikon SB-700, Canon S95
  • DarrylDSmithDarrylDSmith Registered Users Posts: 15 Big grins
    edited August 4, 2011
    It's a catch-22. If you give her files without your name on them, and all she does is make a few B&W, and post them on FB, you don't get credit. But if you do put your name on them, and she makes horrible edits, and post them to FB, you get known as a "Picnik" photographer.

Best way is to give her a disc with your watermarks and without. Tell her if she uses a photo without editing to please used the watermarked one. If she makes edits to anything, tell her to use the unwatermarked one. It's a bit extra, but at least you control -- slightly -- the outcome of what the public sees. Of course, she could ignore you completely and use all your watermarked photos. It's a chance you have to take.
  • KristineDurkin79KristineDurkin79 Registered Users Posts: 29 Big grins
    edited August 4, 2011
    thanks everyone for your feedback....I'm going to make sure my name and watermark are nowhere to be seen....
  • QarikQarik Registered Users Posts: 4,959 Major grins
    edited August 4, 2011
    one of my marketing points is that when you I give them the disk they are free to do what ever they want with them. I Have never had anyone edit photo of mine and put it up somewhere. I would like to think in no small part because you have a better eye then them and have the proper software to make GREAT edits. Why would somone edit a photo if they already like it? I just wouldn't worry about it. If you want you can ask them what they want..give them a BW set and color set for example.
    D700, D600
    14-24 24-70 70-200mm (vr2)
    85 and 50 1.4
    45 PC and sb910 x2
    http://www.danielkimphotography.com
  • Brock62Brock62 Registered Users Posts: 57 Big grins
    edited August 4, 2011
    If you put the ones you edit on Facebook or what ever Internet site you use then People can see what you have done to the Photo as far as edit goes. And then they can compare yours to hers.