Options

Photo sizes & shapes

hudakorehudakore Registered Users Posts: 37 Big grins
edited August 4, 2011 in Finishing School
I'm concerned about the appearance of some of my images when printed. Most of them are in the standard format ratio (i.e. 4x6, 5x7, 8x10) but many have also been cropped into irregular sizes I'm wondering how they'll look when printed. Anyone run into this problem?
www.omnimagesonline.com (SmugMug)
www.123rf.com/portfolio/hudakore/1.html (stock photos)
www.hilmasimages.com

Nothing is what it seems nor is it otherwise.

Comments

• Options
    zoomerzoomer Registered Users Posts: 3,688 Major grins
    edited August 4, 2011
    I don't give it a second though. I crop randomly however my eye tells me to. So few photos ever get printed....
    Not one customer has ever come back to me asking for a recrop or resize.
  • Options
    SamSam Registered Users Posts: 7,419 Major grins
    edited August 4, 2011
    hudakore wrote: »
    I'm concerned about the appearance of some of my images when printed. Most of them are in the standard format ratio (i.e. 4x6, 5x7, 8x10) but many have also been cropped into irregular sizes I'm wondering how they'll look when printed. Anyone run into this problem?

If your anticipating printing an image you can try cropping to a standard unconventional size. What I mean by that is look at what frame / mat sizes are commercially available and try cropping to that size. You can always create an extended canvas around the cropped image so you can send it to the printer as a standard size print. Then trim as necessary.

Look at Frame Destination for a very large selection of sizes.

Sam
  • Options
    rainbowrainbow Registered Users Posts: 2,765 Major grins
    edited August 4, 2011
    I advise cropping the photo yourself before printing. If you have a different aspect ratio and send it for printing, you will leave it up to the lab to make the decision. One thing I do is take the photo and crop it to different print sizes (eg - a group shot) and label it such as "group 8x10, group 5x7, etc. so that there are no unpleasant surprises or potential dissatisfaction.

If it needs to be unconventional, then follow Sam's advice, understanding that you will need to trim the white borders off the print to the unconventional size before displaying or mounting.