Options

#82 - Spirits of the Night

torrbraetorrbrae Registered Users Posts: 203 Major grins
edited August 8, 2011 in The Dgrin Challenges
Have tried to think what would signify midnight, and while not a Michael Jackson fan his song Thriller comes to mind. Not too keen on trying to take a spooky photo at a cemetery at midnight, so have tried to create the impression of spirits coming alive at home:

#1 Spirits Come Alive

[IMG][/img]C201108051004161SpiritsAwake1-M.jpg

#2 Spirits Come Alive (tighter crop - and taking watch off centre)

[IMG][/img]C201108051004161SpiritsAwake2-M.jpg

#3 Spirits Come Alive

[IMG][/img]C201108051004163SpiritsAwake3-M.jpg

Tried to get smoke coming from the bowl, but not being picked up in the photo.

Critique / comments be appreciated.

Comments

• Options
    angevin1angevin1 Registered Users Posts: 3,403 Major grins
    edited August 5, 2011
    Cool idea. I love creations like this. no ideas on how to improve it though~
    tom wise
  • Options
    WhatSheSawWhatSheSaw Registered Users Posts: 2,221 Major grins
    edited August 5, 2011
    Very cool. The placement of the watch bothers me a bit. Try laying it flat next to the goblet.
  • Options
    kwickerskwickers Registered Users Posts: 310 Major grins
    edited August 5, 2011
    I like the idea. I agree about moving the clock, not the focal point of image. The smoke may help... here is a link to a smoke photo tutorial, I have been meaning to try it.... but have not yet. http://www.shutter-lag.com/2011/07/smoke-art-tutorial/
    Photos.KeithWickersham.com
  • Options
    FrochFroch Registered Users Posts: 571 Major grins
    edited August 5, 2011
    Cool idea. My thought is that this is a kind-of 'product shot'...if that makes sense. So my personal thought is that the watch should be balanced in the frame. To me, it looks like a mistake in the framing when it's moved out left or right.
  • Options
    torrbraetorrbrae Registered Users Posts: 203 Major grins
    edited August 5, 2011
    Thank you for the comments. kwickers - thanks for the link to the smoke art photography, excellent article and have some incence cones so will try photographing that (bit safer than the hot embers from the fire been using!). Had tried searching for making smoke on the internet, but had only come up with the dry ice or mist making machines, neither of which I have.
    Agree about the watch - had put in to signify the time, but will try without. The picture should stand on its own without the need to point out midnight?
    Roll on midnight so can try again.
  • Options
    billseyebillseye Registered Users Posts: 847 Major grins
    edited August 8, 2011
    I know there's no more midnights left, but thought I'd throw in my 2 cents... I really like the colors and the sense of midnight (with or without the watch). Have you considered avoiding the centered composition?
    Bill Banning

Check out billseye photos on SmugMug