Options

Miniature Die-cast Yamha R6 Bike.

jirojiro Registered Users Posts: 1,865 Major grins
edited August 6, 2011 in Other Cool Shots
I made a DIY 12-inch softbox made out of packing cardboards with aluminum foil layer inside, some duct tape, and a translucent plastic to act as a front diffuser of the softbox. The flash used inside was my Nikon SB-24 flash courtesy of my very good friend Tom (AKA black mamba). Here's a test shot result using my softbox. Thank you very much for viewing.

6012621382_b143a226e4_b.jpg
Sitting quietly, doing nothing. Spring comes and the grass grows by itself.

http://imagesbyjirobau.blogspot.com/

Comments

• Options
    black mambablack mamba Registered Users Posts: 8,321 Major grins
    edited August 5, 2011
    Terrific shot.thumb.gif I tell you, Jiro, you never cease to amaze me. Not only do you possess extraordinary PP skills, but your adeptness at fabricating tools and equipment just blows me away. I still can't get over that extension tube caper you pulled off. clap.gifclap

Take care my friend,

Tom
    I always wanted to lie naked on a bearskin rug in front of a fireplace. Cracker Barrel didn't take kindly to it.
  • Options
    edited August 5, 2011
    Terrific shot.thumb.gif I tell you, Jiro, you never cease to amaze me. Not only do you possess extraordinary PP skills, but your adeptness at fabricating tools and equipment just blows me away. I still can't get over that extension tube caper you pulled off. clap.gifclap

Take care my friend,

Tom

Thanks a lot, Tom. Without your gift, I wouldn't have learned something about the wonderful world of flash photography. Still a long way to go but one foot is already at the open door to learning. As for the DIY stuff, I need to improvise because I can't afford the light modifiers available in the market. thumb.gif:D

• Options
    DogdotsDogdots Registered Users Posts: 8,795 Major grins
    edited August 6, 2011
    Wow ... you do such good work. Something I've always wanted to do, but I don't have a box nor a flash :cry Looks like I'm going to have to start building stuff like you are thumb.gif
  • Options
    edited August 6, 2011
    Dogdots wrote: »
    Wow ... you do such good work. Something I've always wanted to do, but I don't have a box nor a flash :cry Looks like I'm going to have to start building stuff like you are thumb.gif

Thank you very much, Mary. Without Tom's help (Black Mamba) I wouldn't have learned something about flash photography and enjoying it. For the light modifiers (softbox) you can easily make one using simple household materials. The only thing I bought to make mine was the duct tape which costs me less than $4.

Here's another example using flash photography on the same bike but this time using the SB-24 as a bare flash unit for more defined shadows.

6015228934_59f21932a6_b.jpg

• Options
    DogdotsDogdots Registered Users Posts: 8,795 Major grins
    edited August 6, 2011
    jiro wrote: »
    Thank you very much, Mary. Without Tom's help (Black Mamba) I wouldn't have learned something about flash photography and enjoying it. For the light modifiers (softbox) you can easily make one using simple household materials. The only thing I bought to make mine was the duct tape which costs me less than $4.

Here's another example using flash photography on the same bike but this time using the SB-24 as a bare flash unit for more defined shadows.

6015228934_59f21932a6_b.jpg

Tom is a great teacher when it comes to photography :D

I like this photo too. I'm a shadow person so I really like the shadow that is being cast.
  • Options
    oltimer46oltimer46 Registered Users Posts: 5 Big grins
    Awesome work. I like shooting miniatures a lot.
  • Options
    StumblebumStumblebum Registered Users Posts: 8,480 Major grins

Super images!

• Options
    GattoGatto Registered Users Posts: 413 Major grins

Super nice shot...can you post what the box looks like ?

• Options
    denisegoldbergdenisegoldberg Administrators Posts: 14,237 moderator

@Gatto said:
    Super nice shot...can you post what the box looks like ?

Hmm... original post is dated 2011. I just checked the poster's profile, hasn't logged on here since 2012 - so I would be surprised if you get a response.

• Options
    GattoGatto Registered Users Posts: 413 Major grins

I am a patience guy, I'll wait....LOL thx Denise I didn't look at the date.

• Options
    black mambablack mamba Registered Users Posts: 8,321 Major grins
    edited December 18, 2016

Jiro ( Willie Bau ) is a very talented photographer. He has a great sense of good composition and worked with an eclectic range of subjects. His PP skills are exceptional. I'd put his B&W work up with the very best out there. He moved back to the Philippines about 5 years ago, hasn't been heard from since. That guy knows his stuff.

Tom

I always wanted to lie naked on a bearskin rug in front of a fireplace. Cracker Barrel didn't take kindly to it.
  • Options
    StumblebumStumblebum Registered Users Posts: 8,480 Major grins

@Gatto said:
    I am a patience guy, I'll wait....LOL thx Denise I didn't look at the date.

:D