Options

The Cream Of The Crop

black mambablack mamba Registered Users Posts: 8,321 Major grins
edited August 7, 2011 in Other Cool Shots
From past postings, most of you who follow my car-show photography know a little bit about the Duesenberg automobiles. These cars were for the rich and ultra-wealthy buyer. The great majority of these cars were fitted with custom bodywork by a select group of coachwork companies that let the owner really personalize his ride.

This first car has a quite interesting story behind it. It is a 1929 Duesenberg Model J. The custom body on it was done by LeBaron Coachworks. It sold new for $20,000. To put that in perspective, in 1929 that amount of money would have purchased two average middle-class homes PLUS 24 Model A Ford automobiles. This car was shown at the New York and Los Angeles shows and then became a company demonstrator to the Hollywood elite. It was ultimately sold to James Talmadge, son of actors Buster Keaton and Natalie Talmadge. In 1947, this very car was sold as " used " for $143.00.
It's now valued at well north of $1,000,000.

Amelia-2011-1-223-X2.jpg

Amelia-2011-1-239-X2.jpg

THis is another fine 1929 model. It's a Duesenbeg J-237. It was originally sold to a Mr. Kenneth Smith, then President of Pepsodent toothpaste. Like most other " Dueseys ", this one was fitted with custom coachwork. In fact, it had two custom fittings: First by Willoughby Coachwork, then later by Derham Town Car. It was last restored in the 80's to its even now magnificent condition.

Amelia-2011-1-241-X2.jpg

Amelia-2011-1-242-X2.jpg
I always wanted to lie naked on a bearskin rug in front of a fireplace. Cracker Barrel didn't take kindly to it.

Comments

• Options
    DogdotsDogdots Registered Users Posts: 8,795 Major grins
    edited August 6, 2011
    Another wonderful set of car photos thumb.gif

Can't believe how cheap it was sold for long ago. Then again back then .. it may not of been cheap for the person buying it.

Bummer the last car wasn't all red with the black top. That would of been beautiful. Is that the original color combo?
  • Options
    edited August 6, 2011
    Dogdots wrote: »
    Another wonderful set of car photos thumb.gif

Can't believe how cheap it was sold for long ago. Then again back then .. it may not of been cheap for the person buying it.

Bummer the last car wasn't all red with the black top. That would of been beautiful. Is that the original color combo?

Thanks for the kind words, Mary.

To my knowledge, those are the original colors on the red and silver car. Keep in mind, though, that the body you see on this car is the second one to be fitted to that chassis. I have no idea what colors were on the first custom coachwork.

Take care,

Tom
    I always wanted to lie naked on a bearskin rug in front of a fireplace. Cracker Barrel didn't take kindly to it.
  • Options
    RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,929 moderator
    edited August 6, 2011
    Dogdots wrote: »
    I did a little quick research: According to one source, $20,000 in 1929 dollars is the equivalent of $260,000 today. No, not cheap. mwink.gif

Great set of pics and good information, Tom. thumb.gif
  • Options
    DogdotsDogdots Registered Users Posts: 8,795 Major grins
    edited August 6, 2011
    Richard wrote: »
    I did a little quick research: According to one source, $20,000 in 1929 dollars is the equivalent of $260,000 today. No, not cheap. mwink.gif

Wow .. that's spendie.
  • Options
    edited August 6, 2011
    Richard wrote: »

Great set of pics and good information, Tom. thumb.gif

I'm really glad you stopped by, Richard. It's always great to hear from your quarters.

Thanks for the nice words.

Tom
  • Options
    PantherPanther Registered Users Posts: 3,658 Major grins
    edited August 6, 2011
    Howdy Tom,

Another Wonderful Series, I always learn so much about these Works of Art, with
    your beautiful presentations.

Very nicely done!!
    Take care,

Craig

Burleson, Texas
  • Options
    DaddyODaddyO Registered Users Posts: 4,466 Major grins
    edited August 6, 2011
    Awesome autos. Tailored to taste. Nice to have that luxury.
    Was reading some, just the other day, about the time range 1929. These fit real nicely with that read.
    Michael
  • Options
    edited August 7, 2011
    Panther wrote: »
    Howdy Tom,

Another Wonderful Series, I always learn so much about these Works of Art, with
    your beautiful presentations.

Very nicely done!!

You're so right, Craig. These cars are truly works of art. I'm happy to share what I see and what I know with you, my friend.

Tom
  • Options
    edited August 7, 2011
    DaddyO wrote: »
    Awesome autos. Tailored to taste. Nice to have that luxury.
    Was reading some, just the other day, about the time range 1929. These fit real nicely with that read.

The end of the 20's signaled the beginning of the end for many of the luxury brands of cars. The Great Depression loomed large and even those folks who could still afford these kind of cars became overly conscious about displaying their wealth. By the mid 30's, the era of the grand automobile was rapidly drawing to a close. By the time WW II rolled around, the curtain was drawn on a period of motoring never to be seen again.

Tom