Options

Anyone like thumbnails in thread titles?

BaldyBaldy Registered Users, Super Moderators Posts: 2,853 moderator
edited July 20, 2004 in Dgrin Forum Support
So as an experiment to liven up our sorta dull-looking forum home page (which is easy for me to say since I created it), I added a thumbnail next to the title of the dgrin photo challenges forum.

Like the idea? Not like it?

I didn't realize when I tried it that it would also place the thumb on the new posts page and repeat it twice on top of each forum page, so you might want to look at those.

If we did go forward, I was thinking we'd use (with permission) the photos of our members as much as possible.

I made the current one 55 pixels high by 72 wide. It looks like it might be better smaller if we do this. To make a thumb that small, it has to be a pretty simple subject without too much detail.

Your thoughts.

Thanks,
Baldy

Comments

• Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited July 19, 2004
    i dig it
    i like it. let's see how it looks full up - i think it'll be really cool.

andy

Baldy wrote:
    So as an experiment to liven up our sorta dull-looking forum home page (which is easy for me to say since I created it), I added a thumbnail next to the title of the dgrin photo challenges forum.

Like the idea? Not like it?

I didn't realize when I tried it that it would also place the thumb on the new posts page and repeat it twice on top of each forum page, so you might want to look at those.

If we did go forward, I was thinking we'd use (with permission) the photos of our members as much as possible.

I made the current one 55 pixels high by 72 wide. It looks like it might be better smaller if we do this. To make a thumb that small, it has to be a pretty simple subject without too much detail.

Your thoughts.

Thanks,
    Baldy
  • Options
    DoctorItDoctorIt Administrators Posts: 11,951 moderator
    edited July 19, 2004
    eh, i'll have to vote against on this. It expands the boxes. Not bad now, but imagine when there are thumbnails on more forums. Also, most of the work here is too detailed to look good as a thumbnail, no?

Call me a stick in the mud.
    Erik
    moderator of: The Flea Market [ guidelines ]

• Options
    zero-zerozero-zero Registered Users Posts: 147 Major grins
    edited July 19, 2004
    What the doc sez.
  • Options
    tmlphototmlphoto Registered Users Posts: 1,444 Major grins
    edited July 19, 2004
    zero-zero wrote:
    What the doc sez.
    Maybe one thumbnail at the top for each of the four major sections only.
    Thomas :D

TML Photography
    tmlphoto.com
  • Options
    cletuscletus Registered Users Posts: 1,930 Major grins
    edited July 19, 2004
    tmlphoto wrote:
    Maybe one thumbnail at the top for each of the four major sections only.
    nod.gifthumb.gif
  • Options
    patch29patch29 Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 2,928 Major grins
    edited July 19, 2004
    I am not sure yet, at first glance, no I do not like it. A couple of the other sites I visit have added some images (mostly ads, some animated) and at first they were an eyesore, but now I am used to them, but I would still prefer to not see them.

Can the photo go after the text of the forum name? That might make it easier to navigate. ne_nau.gif
  • Options
    wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited July 20, 2004
    Lemme get used to it for a bit, then give you some feedback.
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
  • Options
    BaldyBaldy Registered Users, Super Moderators Posts: 2,853 moderator
    edited July 20, 2004
    patch29 wrote:
    Can the photo go after the text of the forum name? That might make it easier to navigate. ne_nau.gif
    Yes, and I can make it smaller, vertically, so it doesn't spread out the row. But of course we'd lose some detail.
  • Options
    DoctorItDoctorIt Administrators Posts: 11,951 moderator
    edited July 20, 2004
    Baldy wrote:
    Yes, and I can make it smaller, vertically, so it doesn't spread out the row. But of course we'd lose some detail.
    my problem with the spreading rows is when you do, for example, new posts. Then obviously many new posts are from the same forum, and what was one page becomes 3... or something like that.

use the pictures for the entrance page... advrider style entrance page... sorry, i had to :D
    Erik
    moderator of: The Flea Market [ guidelines ]