Redwoods - Beauty and the Beast

SequoiaSequoia Registered Users Posts: 20 Big grins
edited August 20, 2011 in Landscapes
Finally getting a grasp on shooting the coast redwoods. I'm finding that spending full days from 6am to 9pm can lend an advantage many times. The following Prairie Creek Redwoods State Park, is a finalist in the 2011 Save the Redwoods Photo Contest.

2011 Redwoods Photo Contest Finalists

The first photo here, was taken about 1 hour before discovering the world's tallest known Hemlock in the same park. So the pic is memorable too.

The second photo is in Jedediah Smith Redwoods State Park. After half a dozen visits including dry days, I concluded that the huge redwood is best photographed in rainy weather because the lichens and mosses pop and give texture. In general, I believe that October to June is the best time of year for most coast redwood photography. I think of these two photos as the Beauty and the Beast. These look better as 16 x 20 and 20 x 30 to see the smaller details.

James_Irvine_800.jpg

Jedediah Smith Redwoods Coast Redwood

Redwood_3.jpg

Comments

• schmooschmoo Registered Users Posts: 8,468 Major grins
    edited August 9, 2011
    I absolutely love green forests and the redwoods in this part of the country. However, I've never really come out of the parks with any shots worth sharing. These are incredible! Thanks for the tip on when to go, and good luck to you on the contest thumb.gif
  • SequoiaSequoia Registered Users Posts: 20 Big grins
    edited August 9, 2011
    schmoo wrote: »
    I absolutely love green forests and the redwoods in this part of the country. However, I've never really come out of the parks with any shots worth sharing. These are incredible! Thanks for the tip on when to go, and good luck to you on the contest thumb.gif

There at several reasons I like the cool & wet season best, in the redwoods.

1. Rain washes dust and pollen off the leaves.
    2. Less visitors making shots in popular areas easier.
    3. The rain wets the needles, darkening the reddish color on the ground and paths.
    4. View corridors blocked by deciduous plant foliage are revealed: more views to shoot.
    5. Seasonal brooks are running again. Like Calf Creek, or smaller brooks.
    6. Colors on trunks become rich.
    7. Fungi grow: coral fungi, Chanterelle mushrooms, etc..

The greens on the trunks and roof at Richardson Grove (below) are a winter season characteristic. The carving is at the Trees of Mystery near Klamath (I was the only visitor when I hiked the trail and rode solo on the Gondola to the mountain top).

The 3rd photo below was August, off the beaten path in Jedediah Smith. It's the shapes, ferns and textures that makes that pic, more so than mosses or moisture.

Redwood_54.jpg

Trees of Mytery

Redwood_53.jpg

Jedediah Smith Redwoods off-trail deep in the forest south of Hy. 199

growth_rewood.jpg
  • PhotoDavid78PhotoDavid78 Registered Users Posts: 939 Major grins
    edited August 9, 2011
    #1 is beautiful. nice composition
    David Weiss | Canon 5D Mark III | FujiFilm XT-4 | iPhone
    My Website
    Facebook | Twitter | | VSCOgrid | Instagram |
    edited August 10, 2011
    In light of what I shared about winter photography in the redwoods, it's worth adding that summer can be better for traveling. One needs to decide whether photography is going to be important or not.

Because it does not rain very much at all in the coast redwood forest between July and early October. Those are the most reliable months if someone does not want to get rained on or drizzled.

So the winter photography is often done easier for someone who lives there, or maybe within 8 hours drive. Allowing spontaneous trips after watching for a clear weather forecast.

For rain percentage, I usually find that 0% to about 60% chance of rain means pretty good photography weather. I tend to pause my drive sometimes when I see 70% to 100%.

For travelers from abroad who want to photograph the forest moist, with less chance of rain, better target months would probably be May, June, late October, and November.
  • Wicked_DarkWicked_Dark Registered Users Posts: 1,138 Major grins
    edited August 10, 2011
    oh man I've got to get to one of those forests. The first shot is absolutely great. And thanks for the tips on when to go, it will definitely help.
    edited August 12, 2011
    oh man I've got to get to one of those forests. The first shot is absolutely great. And thanks for the tips on when to go, it will definitely help.

If you get a chance, put forth the effort to see one of these northern parks:

1. Jedediah Smith redwoods
    2. Prairie Creek redwoods
    3. Redwood National Park (proper)
    4. Humboldt redwoods (Avenue of the Giants)

Del Norte Redwoods State Park too, for redwoods. The park is closing soon, but the highway and Damnation Creek trail will be free to roam.

Muir Woods near San Francisco, may get more visitors than any of those, but Muir Woods trees are smaller and shorter than what's up north.
  • Wicked_DarkWicked_Dark Registered Users Posts: 1,138 Major grins
    edited August 12, 2011
    We'll probably go north if we go at all, which I hope we do. Thanks much.
  • choudhrysaabchoudhrysaab Registered Users Posts: 249 Major grins
    edited August 14, 2011
    all are nicely captured but my favorite is the 1st one.
    edited August 19, 2011
    Tried something different this weekend. Usually, I photograph trees and forest, and people are added mainly for scale. So I decided to practice photographing a person in the redwood forest. Never really tried this aspect of taking pics of people ever before. For me, this seems like being used to Earth, then attempting a flight to the Moon.

Just realized that this one, in this river, at this park, has to be done in summer and early fall if the reflection was desired. Stout Redwood grove is behind the bridge and the campground is to the left of the camera.
    edited August 19, 2011
    And one next to the trunk of a redwood in Stout Grove. It was already close to 6pm and getting dark. Decided to just go hand-held on these, but they turned out okay.