The Shell.

jirojiro Registered Users Posts: 1,865 Major grins
edited August 8, 2011 in Other Cool Shots
A black and white rendition of a seashell. This was shot with the 12-inch softbox. Thank you very much for viewing.

6019890963_7e599f8ef2_b.jpg

Nikon D70, 70mm lens, ISO 200. f/11 at 1/250 second.
Sitting quietly, doing nothing. Spring comes and the grass grows by itself.

http://imagesbyjirobau.blogspot.com/

Comments

• DogdotsDogdots Registered Users Posts: 8,795 Major grins
    edited August 7, 2011
    Turned out really good. Not sure about it's position. Works, but then again it has me thinking about how it's staying upright.

How the heck did you ever get it to stand up like that headscratch.gif
  • jirojiro Registered Users Posts: 1,865 Major grins
    edited August 7, 2011
    Dogdots wrote: »
    Turned out really good. Not sure about it's position. Works, but then again it has me thinking about how it's staying upright.

How the heck did you ever get it to stand up like that headscratch.gif

Thanks, Mary. If you can guess the answer as to how I made it stand I will give you a real gift! No kidding. Wanna play? mwink.gif:D

edited August 8, 2011
    jiro wrote: »
    Thanks, Mary. If you can guess the answer as to how I made it stand I will give you a real gift! No kidding. Wanna play? mwink.gif:D

I'll play wings.gif .... but no gift needed other then a link to your set up of your soft box if you've posted it :D Been trying to figure out how I can set up something like that. Thought I'd saved all the links to your 'set-ups', but can't find it.

As for how you stood it up ... I'm thinking you tied a string around the top and cloned it out. But I see a shadow being cast to the right behind the shell, but it could be just how the fabric is sitting.
    edited August 8, 2011
    I'll play wings.gif .... but no gift needed other then a link to your set up of your soft box if you've posted it :D Been trying to figure out how I can set up something like that. Thought I'd saved all the links to your 'set-ups', but can't find it.

As for how you stood it up ... I'm thinking you tied a string around the top and cloned it out. But I see a shadow being cast to the right behind the shell, but it could be just how the fabric is sitting.

Very close guess, Mary but not strings. I used a wooden chopstick to secure the seashell. I sharpened one of the edge and poke it at the small opening on top of the shell. Then, on the post-processing I cloned it out. Here is my simple closeup setup on my seashell shots:

6022216742_e095c6d322_b.jpg

Hope this helps. thumb.gif:D

edited August 8, 2011
    Very close guess, Mary but not strings. I used a wooden chopstick to secure the seashell. I sharpened one of the edge and poke it at the small opening on top of the shell. Then, on the post-processing I cloned it out. Here is my simple closeup setup on my seashell shots:

6022216742_e095c6d322_b.jpg

Hope this helps. thumb.gif:D

A chopstick .... smart guy thumb.gif Never thought of using that.

Really like your set up -- thanks for posting a photo of it. Think I can do this. I don't have a flash, but I will try something different.

Although .. I know I can't wrap duct tape as well as you. Shows why that kind of tape is a 'mans tape' rolleyes1.gif

Thanks again :D:D:D
    edited August 8, 2011
    A chopstick .... smart guy thumb.gif Never thought of using that.

Really like your set up -- thanks for posting a photo of it. Think I can do this. I don't have a flash, but I will try something different.

Although .. I know I can't wrap duct tape as well as you. Shows why that kind of tape is a 'mans tape' rolleyes1.gif

Thanks again :D:D:D

I have thought about using strings, Mary. I think the problem with strings is that the subject will have a tendency to wobble since it will act like a plumb bob. If it is not perfectly symmetrical it will spin wobbly. With the chopstick, I can reorient the shell the way I want to because it has a strong grasp at the top. Tom (AKA Black Mamba) gave me the SB-24 flash unit as a gift. As soon as I was able to get hold of a flash cord to trigger the flash I started reading a lot about flash photography and started experimenting. There's no easier way to learn than to do it and take note of the changes on your setup. I saw some SB-24 flash on sale at ebay for less then $50 if you're lucky to win the bid. I think you can use any flash on this type of setup as long as you are setting it in Manual flash mode. I am hoping I can save some money for a wireless trigger unit so I can position the flash farther than the limit imposed by the flash cord. That can help me experiment on portrait shots soon. :Dthumb.gif

edited August 8, 2011
    I have thought about using strings, Mary. I think the problem with strings is that the subject will have a tendency to wobble since it will act like a plumb bob. If it is not perfectly symmetrical it will spin wobbly. With the chopstick, I can reorient the shell the way I want to because it has a strong grasp at the top. Tom (AKA Black Mamba) gave me the SB-24 flash unit as a gift. As soon as I was able to get hold of a flash cord to trigger the flash I started reading a lot about flash photography and started experimenting. There's no easier way to learn than to do it and take note of the changes on your setup. I saw some SB-24 flash on sale at ebay for less then $50 if you're lucky to win the bid. I think you can use any flash on this type of setup as long as you are setting it in Manual flash mode. I am hoping I can save some money for a wireless trigger unit so I can position the flash farther than the limit imposed by the flash cord. That can help me experiment on portrait shots soon. :Dthumb.gif

Your learning a whole lot .. good for you thumb.gif Experimenting is the key to success and you have the patience to do so. Me ..I've not done any reading on flashes, etc. Always used natural lighting, flash light or a light bulb. Looks like I need to move on up to something better and do a whole lot of reading.

Your right .. a string would of been too wobbly. Shells really have a tendency to move.

Looking forward to seeing your portrait shots :D