Would like some feedback on a few. TIA!

anonymouscubananonymouscuban Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 4,586 Major grins
edited August 9, 2011 in People
A few more I took while practicing some poses. Posing is what I find most challenging so I would like some feedback if you have time.

1 - Square crop, a little tight. I really this shot. Not sure about her left arm in the BG. Is it distracting?

DSC7287-Edit-XL.jpg

2 - Not sure about this one. It's supposed to be a playful-type shot. I like it but her head looks a little large due to the angle that I shot it. I'm not sure if it's just a tad too much.

DSC7277-Edit-X2.jpg

3 - Shot this from down low to maximize length on the legs. Too low?

DSC7250-Edit-Edit-X2.jpg

4 - Virtually the same shot but from up high. Again, just playing with angles. Does it work?

DSC7249-Edit-X2.jpg

5 - Another one where I'm not too sure I got the angle right. I took this shot from a bit lower and a bit higher and this seems to work the best. The other two either made her too top or bottom heavy.

DSC7336-Edit-XL.jpg
"I'm not yelling. I'm Cuban. That's how we talk."

Moderator of the People and Go Figure forums

My Smug Site

Comments

• FoquesFoques Registered Users Posts: 1,951 Major grins
    edited August 8, 2011
    wow.. I like lighting on these.. can't wait for pro's to chime in!
    Arseny - the too honest guy.
    My Site
    My Facebook
  • zoomerzoomer Registered Users Posts: 3,688 Major grins
    edited August 8, 2011
    Looks like you are close up using a wide angle...causing some looming.
    Can you get further back and use a longer mm?

Let her pose herself...role play...give her a character to play, ham it up, have fun.

Step away from pose smile click....pose smile click.

As always your lighting and processing really work. 4 is a hot little photo.
  • anonymouscubananonymouscuban Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 4,586 Major grins
    edited August 8, 2011
    Zoom...

I'm shooting with a 28/70mm. I don't have a lot of space due to some furniture I have to eventually move out of the way once I find another place to put it. headscratch.gif

However, I can't really blame it on the space. I have enough space to shoot all of these at 70mm (FF). I have a bad tendency of slowly "encroaching" on my subject as I shoot. I inch forward slowly and before I know it, I'm "all up in their $@%&". :D That's why I end up shooting too wide if a focal length. I think I may lay down "the line" in some tape so I remind myself not to get too close.

My Smug Site
  • zoomerzoomer Registered Users Posts: 3,688 Major grins
    edited August 8, 2011
    Really I don't think anyone here will hold it against you that you tend to "encroach" on this subject :).
  • Bryce WilsonBryce Wilson Registered Users Posts: 1,586 Major grins
    edited August 8, 2011
    I love number one. Arm is a bit of a negative, but if you cloned in some hair to the right of the big lock of it on her arm so the hair goes out of the frame it would fix that pronto.

I also really like the pose and angle on number 4 though I'm not loving the expression on her face. Have you tried the same pose and angle with one of her knees bent a bit?
  • HackboneHackbone Registered Users Posts: 4,027 Major grins
    edited August 8, 2011
    I think the last one has the most potential for pinup. Like it alot.
  • dbvetodbveto Registered Users Posts: 660 Major grins
    edited August 8, 2011
    I tend to agree with Zoomer, I like #1 and 5 which looks like and old type pinup very nice.
    The other to me seem to have some distortion such as #3 it looks like her legs are to long for her body.
    Its just my 2 cents
    Dennis
    http://www.realphotoman.com/
    Work in progress
    http://www.realphotoman.net/ Zenfolio 10% off Referral Code: 1KH-5HX-5HU
  • anonymouscubananonymouscuban Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 4,586 Major grins
    edited August 8, 2011
    I wasn't really going for the pinup look with these. Just trying different poses but I do agree on the last one being pin up-like.

Here is almost the same pose as #5 but I took it from a slightly lower POV. I think she looks much more proportional here:

#6 -

DSC7327-Edit-X2.jpg

My Smug Site
  • BradfordBennBradfordBenn Registered Users Posts: 2,506 Major grins
    edited August 8, 2011
    Nice shooting.

I think you are right about #3, her head is too big. Nothing a longer focal length can't fix. #1 seems a little too processed for me. Not that you did a bad job just that there are little things that make it a little artificial for me (and it could be because I have been working on skin tones recently). I think her lower left lip has too much of a color change and appears a little processed and unnatural to me.

To me #6 would be the pin up of the group. Still all great shots. Now about that furniture.... Why not use it as props?
    -=Bradford

Pictures | Website | Blog | Twitter | Contact
    edited August 8, 2011
    Oh... I could use the furniture as props. The problem is that I'm talking about two 8' sofas. They're really nice sofas. Custom upholstered... cost me a pretty penny. They're in the formal living room... a room that we've probably used about 10 times in the last 10 years. I'd get more use of the room as a studio and is the direction I think I'm headed.

My Smug Site
  • VayCayMomVayCayMom Registered Users Posts: 1,870 Major grins
    edited August 9, 2011
    #2 Doesn't work, looks more comical than playful. Every time I open an image from you of your wife, I think YOU are so lucky to have such a great wife!
    Trudy
    www.CottageInk.smugmug.com

NIKON D700
  • lilmommalilmomma Registered Users Posts: 1,060 Major grins
    edited August 9, 2011
    1/4/5 work really well for me. not crazy about the angles in 2/3. of course i'd still be proud if they were mine.
  • SamSam Registered Users Posts: 7,419 Major grins
    edited August 9, 2011
    Alex,

These are all fine and dandy.........yada, yada..................................I want to see the shots taken after these! :D:ivar

Sam
  • Gary752Gary752 Registered Users Posts: 934 Major grins
    edited August 9, 2011
    All of them are very good! But if I had to pick only one as a favorite, I would definately pick #1 as my favorite. Those eyes and smile are simply beatiful. You mentioned the left arm being cut off, I didn't notice that till I read your entire post and went back to look for that. When I first looked at #1 I was immeadiatly drawn to her eyes.

GaryB
    GaryB
    “The single most important component of a camera is the twelve inches behind it!” - Ansel Adams
  • marikrismarikris Registered Users Posts: 930 Major grins
    edited August 9, 2011
    I like the way 6 looks, and i think 4 could be really fun. But I think she needs to arch more. Instead of an L, like in 4, if she really arched her back and give you a coy open smile, it'd be really cute. I want to say the same for 6, you just need to tell her to curve a little. She looks just a little stiff. She's beautiful with a very nice body, so you just need to get her to do more angles. Think "S" curves with the back and triangles with the arms and contrapposto.