First softbox pics

MitchellMitchell Registered Users Posts: 3,503 Major grins
edited October 17, 2005 in People
This was my first attempt using a softbox. Any suggestions on lighting placement? I used the softbox to my right above my shoulder. I had an on camera flash using a lumiquest bounce.

The lighting looks less flat than with an on camera flash alone, but I wonder if I should dial down the flash on the camera to give more depth. Any thoughts?

39850876-L.jpg

Comments

• lynnmalynnma Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 5,208 Major grins
    edited October 13, 2005
    Mitchell wrote:
    This was my first attempt using a softbox. Any suggestions on lighting placement? I used the softbox to my right above my shoulder. I had an on camera flash using a lumiquest bounce.

The lighting looks less flat than with an on camera flash alone, but I wonder if I should dial down the flash on the camera to give more depth. Any thoughts?
    Hi Mitch.. lovely baby and what a grin!!! I'm terrible at portraits but I think I would try dialing it down a bit just to see.. (I wanna see rolleyes1.gif )
    I'd like to see what it would look like further round to the side as well.. I use the same thing and I can never get the result I want..
  • MitchellMitchell Registered Users Posts: 3,503 Major grins
    edited October 13, 2005
    Thanks for the reply, Lynn. What do you do with multiple catchlights when using several light sources? Do you clone them out to leave just one?

Another (tried Andy's happy angle)...

39855242-L.jpg
    edited October 13, 2005
    Here it is with one of the catchlights removed. I think I prefer this one.

39880879-L.jpg
    edited October 13, 2005
    Mitchell wrote:
    Thanks for the reply, Lynn. What do you do with multiple catchlights when using several light sources? Do you clone them out to leave just one?

Another (tried Andy's happy angle)...
    39855242-S.jpgthis is lovely Mitch.. I leave them in, I've never cloned them out but some people do. Have you tried cloning them out? what does it look like.. I'm curious..clap.gif
    edited October 13, 2005
    lynnma wrote:
    this is lovely Mitch.. I leave them in, I've never cloned them out but some people do. Have you tried cloning them out? what does it look like.. I'm curious..clap.gif
    Oh you posted just ahead of me.. it looks much better!!! I'm surprised indeed! lovely post on it as well - maybe a tinsy bit heavy on the soft effect..:D
  • tmlphototmlphoto Registered Users Posts: 1,444 Major grins
    edited October 13, 2005
    Mitch,
    I would lose the on camera flash and get a white piece of foam board or cardboard to use as a fill reflector. Place it on the opposite side from the softbox and place it far enough to the side that it doesn't give another catchlight.(If you don't want multiple catchlights) Play around with the distance to subject to give you the amount of fill you want. This will give you much less of a flat lighting effect. You can make lighting corrections using the histogram and appearance on the LCD. I would also try moving the softbox closer to your subject. (softer shadows) Also, these look tad underexposed. Try bumping up the lights a little. (use the histogram as a guide). Cute subject BTW, you should have many opportunities to practice your studio portraits. I like the black background. Got any B&W conversions? Keep shooting and posting...
    Thomas :D

TML Photography
    tmlphoto.com
    edited October 13, 2005
    Lynn, I was surprised also at how much more I liked this shot with only one catchlight. In retrospect, the two were distracting. Thanks for your kind comments and encouragement.

Thomas, I appreciate your suggestions. I will try a reflector next time she is willing to be photographed. I have always enjoyed your B&W portraits. With your suggestion, I gave it a try. Any comments? I promise this will be my last posting of this pic!ne_nau.gif

39912141-M.jpg
    edited October 13, 2005
    Hey Mitch,
    I like the conversion. What method did you use? Very nice result.

TML Photography
    tmlphoto.com
  • OwenOwen Registered Users Posts: 948 Major grins
    edited October 14, 2005
    Can you say "Gerber Baby?"

GerberBaby.jpg
    edited October 14, 2005
    Thomas,

Thanks for looking. I use optikVerve Labs in photoshop for my B&W conversions. It is a neat little filter program which can also soften and add grain. I downloaded it free last year.
    edited October 14, 2005
    edited October 14, 2005
    Mitchell wrote:
    The link for Virtual Photographer is http://www.optikvervelabs.com/default.asp
    Thanks Mitch. I have that program as well and like it. Anyone interested in b&w conversions should check it out.

TML Photography
    tmlphoto.com
  • LaurieLaurie Registered Users Posts: 17 Big grins
    edited October 15, 2005
    What a cutie!

I prefer the second shot, with the second set of catchlights removed, but I think that version's a little too soft for me--totally personal preference. I think an un-softened version would make a great B&W.
    edited October 16, 2005
    OK. Last post here. No softening, second highlight cloned, and B&W conversion.

Thanks for all the great comments!clap.gif

40181132-M.jpg
  • mereimagemereimage Registered Users Posts: 448 Major grins
    edited October 17, 2005
    Cute baby
    Sorry I couldn't help myself, I had to work on this pic. I haven't had time lately to shoot any pics myself so I look here for 'post' practice. I hope you don't mind. If you do then please PM me and i'll remove my post. The blurred shot seemed overdone. I like to leave the features sharp (jm pref) and to blur just the skin. This can be done with many selection techniques but the color selection wand is quick and easy to use, but avoid selecting the lid margins, the eyes and the mouth. Feather the selection and then use lens blur (gently here) or gaussian blur to smooth the skin. Any blotchy color left-like on the forehead can be then toned down with the healing brush with soft edges. Shadows and creases like around the mouth can also be deemphasized (but not completely removed since theyn give depth and character to the face). There is alot of other fine adjustments that can be made but this can be done in just 2-3 mins and give a nice result:

40335388-L.jpg

I also played with the B&W conversion(practicing Greg Gormans duo tone conversion- link can be found if you do a search):

40335391-L.jpg

Sorry for hijacking your thread but I needed to play in PS before going to sleep. I like pictures of kids-I have 5 myself-tho none are little any longer.........Peace, Mereimage
    edited October 17, 2005
    Beautifully done!!clap.gifclap.gif

I never mind anyone fiddling with my shots. Thanks for your efforts and tips.

I have always resisted removing the red birthmark on her forehead. My 10 year old daughter had the same exact mark which fades over time (ain't DNA cool?). I'm always torn between reality and photoshop when it comes to my own kids.ne_nau.gif
  • mereimagemereimage Registered Users Posts: 448 Major grins
    edited October 17, 2005
    Sorry
    ne_nau.gifI didn't realize it was a birth mark, I just thought it was some temporary erythema from rubbing or other minor irritation so I took it out. This is why some people don't like their images messed with............Give myself a Dippie.gif for that, glad you weren't upset cause there's nothing as precious as our children...................Mereimage