Options

Need help on what to do in this scenario...

Ace_wheelieAce_wheelie Registered Users Posts: 1 Beginner grinner
edited August 9, 2011 in Mind Your Own Business
Hey, I'm Ace Wheelie of Wheels of Rock Photography (www.wheelsofrock.com) I have been contacted w/ a past client who is an owner of a music venue who I had taken numerous photos at for them many time. He contacted me asking if I would make very large mural prints of the photos I have taken to be displayed in the venue. I'm not sure what to charge and how much the prints would cost. He side one of the larger sizes would be 20 feet by 10 feet. I have all my photos in 400ppi on my back up storage and I'm sure I have to increase the ppi of the photos. Please if any one has any advice on what kind of price I ask the client for and what I have to do to go about enlarging my photos to fit this dimension.

Comments

• Options
    OffTopicOffTopic Registered Users Posts: 521 Major grins
    edited August 9, 2011
    Re pricing, I had a similar situation (5x15 foot glass mural) and this is the advice Seth Resnick gave to me - for this type of use, price should be calculated based on foot traffic and number of viewers in a year:

"A 17' x 8 foot display with 600,000 viewers would license for an average of $2500 for one year and $6500 for 3 years and $8000 for 5 years and $10,000 for ten years. Keep in mind at that a ten year license would mean $1000.00 per year or $2.74 per day. With 600,000 viewers in one year this means each day there are 1643 people viewing the image at $2.74 or 1.6 cents per person."

Use that as a starting point in your head, find out your clients budget, negotiate from there. For the above scenario he recommended that I set a target of 7k and a walk price of $4700.

I highly recommend www.shakodo.com for pricing questions like these. Some very knowledgeable people with considerable experience giving advice on standard industry pricing. For example Seth Resnick usually charges $50 to assist with a pricing quote on his website but he's a frequent poster on shakodo giving out free advice.