Sunset at the Lighthouse

eoren1eoren1 Registered Users Posts: 2,391 Major grins
edited August 9, 2011 in Landscapes
Sunset looked like it might be decent tonight so I ventured out with my Canon 350D to shoot a time lapse (link) and my 50D to shoot around while waiting for it to finish.

The light was great and I managed a few nice compositions. Appreciate your thoughts.

1 Reflections
i-5Kw3Xjg-M.jpg

2 Sunstar in the tree
i-PZwgS94-M.jpg

3 Water
i-r2bTJdt-M.jpg

4 Lighthouse
i-PKLNKQt-M.jpg

5 House
i-hPB7K8v-M.jpg

ps-sorry about the horribly lame titles...couldn't come up with decent ones so went with terribly bland ones instead :scratch

Comments

• lensmolelensmole Registered Users Posts: 1,548 Major grins
    edited August 8, 2011
    I would say that number 2 & 5 would be my favorites.
  • hawkeye978hawkeye978 Registered Users Posts: 1,218 Major grins
    edited August 9, 2011
    I like the lighting and the reflection you got in #1, but the powerline is a little distracting. Once could make an argument either way to keep or clone it out. Marblehead Light is nothing if not utilitarian.
  • eoren1eoren1 Registered Users Posts: 2,391 Major grins
    edited August 9, 2011
    Thank you both
    Tom - I agree. Worked on these late last night and fought over keeping/cloning out the line. I'll clone it out and see how that looks.
    I would love to hear your/anyone else's thoughts on the processing. I shot these as three exposure HDRs handheld (the tripod was serving duty for the timelapse) and used HDRefex pro instead of my old standby Photomatix. I have to say that I was floored by the ability of HDRefex to align the images (leaps and bounds better than Photomatix) as well as the difference in contrast and structure of the final image. When looking at the two side by side, the Photomatix product looks 'muddy' in comparison.
    edited August 9, 2011
    Tom-
    I have a shot of the lighthouse reflected without the line in this thread (shot the day before)
    http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?p=1655602#post1655602
  • RhuarcRhuarc Registered Users Posts: 1,464 Major grins
    edited August 9, 2011
    Love these shots! What was your post processing on these? They look kind of like HDR, without the over processed look that usually goes with them.
    edited August 9, 2011
    Thanks Rhuarc
    All I did was my standard pre-HDR settings in Lightroom then export to HDR efex pro. Used a preset and made minor changes to that. Sharpened a bit in LR and uploaded to Smugmug. Ridiculously simple workflow compared to Photomatix.
    I'll have to post comparison shots in another forum when i get a chance this evening.
    Appreciate the comment.