Options

Search Engines hits ?

tony larcombetony larcombe Registered Users Posts: 118 Major grins
edited October 14, 2005 in Mind Your Own Business
Ok, I've set up my smugmug site, all looks good, I'm happy with it. Now, how do I get people to view it, how do I get a web search on Larcombe+Photography+weddings to bring back my website and information ?

Comments

• Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited October 13, 2005
    Ok, I've set up my smugmug site, all looks good, I'm happy with it. Now, how do I get people to view it, how do I get a web search on Larcombe+Photography+weddings to bring back my website and information ?

wave.gif welcome. you could start by filling out your profile here, so we can see your site lol3.gif
  • Options
    edited October 13, 2005
    andy wrote:
    wave.gif welcome. you could start by filling out your profile here, so we can see your site lol3.gif
    Alright, what's next ??
  • Options
    Mike LaneMike Lane Registered Users Posts: 7,106 Major grins
    edited October 13, 2005
    http://www.thesitewizard.com/archive/google.shtml

The short version is that the more sites that link to your site, the better off you are in the google page ranks.

Get out and advertise your site on forums. Get a blog and start making posts. Get that blog on technorati and other blog search engines. Go to www.blogexplosion.com and get that blog on there. Link to your site like crazy. Get others to link to your site.

link link link link link link link link link link link link link link link link link link link link link link link link link link link link link link link link link link link link link link link link link link link link link link link link link link link link link link link link link link link link link link link link link link link link link link link link link link link link link link link link link link link link link link link link link link link link link link link link link link link link link link link link link link link link link link link link link link

And then link some more.

Don't forget about Yahoo, MSN Search, and all the others either!

Of course you could just pay for a Google advertisement too mwink.gif
    Y'all don't want to hear me, you just want to dance.

http://photos.mikelanestudios.com/
  • Options
    edited October 13, 2005
    Alright, what's next ??

ok start here what do you think? ear.gif
  • Options
    edited October 13, 2005
    andy wrote:
    ok start here what do you think? ear.gif
    Sounds good, you tell me www.larcombe-photography.com !
  • Options
    edited October 13, 2005
    Sounds good, you tell me www.larcombe-photography.com !

how about the fifth bullet in the list i made ear.gif
    hmm? :D
  • Options
    edited October 13, 2005
    andy wrote:
    how about the fifth bullet in the list i made ear.gif
    hmm? :D
    Be sure to chenge the site name ? I did that in Control Panel > Customize the first box that appears. Not sure what it did, or if it did anything at all, am I missing something here ?
  • Options
    edited October 13, 2005
    Be sure to chenge the site name ? I did that in Control Panel > Customize the first box that appears. Not sure what it did, or if it did anything at all, am I missing something here ?

right. maybe put the words "wedding photographer" in your title?
  • Options
    edited October 13, 2005
    andy wrote:
    15524779-Ti.gif

Google hasn't yet perfected its mind reading algorythm. Until then, you'll just have to feed it information whenever you can. How many of your pictures have keywords? They should ALL have keywords if you want to get up high on google. How many of your galleries have descriptions? Smugmug has made it so when you put in keywords and descriptions Google gets on them like white on rice! I see it on my site like crazy.

Keywords, descriptions, inbound links, and time. That's what makes your site popular on google.

• Options
    edited October 13, 2005
    andy wrote:
    Do you mean in the Page Title ? does this show up anywhere, or is it just for search purposes ?
  • Options
    edited October 13, 2005
    Mike Lane wrote:
    15524779-Ti.gif

Google hasn't yet perfected its mind reading algorythm. Until then, you'll just have to feed it information whenever you can. How many of your pictures have keywords? They should ALL have keywords if you want to get up high on google. How many of your galleries have descriptions? Smugmug has made it so when you put in keywords and descriptions Google gets on them like white on rice! I see it on my site like crazy.

Keywords, descriptions, inbound links, and time. That's what makes your site popular on google.
    No keywords on my photos, very small descriptions on my galleries. Will all this show up on the screen though, I like my site as it is, simple, like this, time for a shameless plug www.larcombe-photography.com mwink.gif I wouldn't want keywords and stuff all over the place cluttering things up.
  • Options
    edited October 13, 2005
    No keywords on my photos, very small descriptions on my galleries. Will all this show up on the screen though, I like my site as it is, simple, like this, time for a shameless plug www.larcombe-photography.com mwink.gif I wouldn't want keywords and stuff all over the place cluttering things up.
    ne_nau.gif Then you don't want google hits. Fortunately for you Smugmug has made it easy to hide the descriptions and keywords from humans and make them show for bots.

• Options
    edited October 13, 2005

you can hide keywords from being displayed. but you should use them. take some time to learn what can be done - view some sites that have really gone custom...
  • Options
    edited October 13, 2005
    andy wrote:
    you can hide keywords from being displayed. but you should use them. take some time to learn what can be done - view some sites that have really gone custom...
    Ok, quick, how do I hide the Keywords ? I have this #keywords { display: none; } in my stylesheet already and this hides the word Keyword when it's empty, but now that I've filled it up with junk it's showing junk, no sir, I just don't like it !
  • Options
    edited October 13, 2005
    no sir, I just don't like it !

tony - slow down and breathe deeply... that's it :D

loads and loads of us have customized our sites just like you want to. look at my site please - very simple. i show keywords in someplaces, others i don't. do some reading, listen to mike he knows his stuff :D
  • Options
    edited October 13, 2005
    andy wrote:
    tony - slow down and breathe deeply... that's it :D

loads and loads of us have customized our sites just like you want to. look at my site please - very simple. i show keywords in someplaces, others i don't. do some reading, listen to mike he knows his stuff :D
    (DEEP BREATHS)
    Ok, the keywords didn't show up after all, panic mode for a moment then. I added a bunch, every connotation of larcombe photography etc that I could think of, and added it to EVERY photograph.
    I guess I sit back now and wait for my assignments to fill up.
  • Options
    edited October 13, 2005
    headscratch.gif

So, uh, you did or you didn't get it to work like you wanted?

• Options
    edited October 13, 2005
    Mike Lane wrote:
    headscratch.gif

So, uh, you did or you didn't get it to work like you wanted?
    Not sure I got it to work like I wanted Mike, but I added keywords to each photo (via bulk) and I just now added keywords to the gallerys. I can 't see either when I log out which is what I wanted. I'm not sure how this helps, but according to you I'll be a#1, numero uno, the top dog on Google pretty soon, right ?
  • Options
    rainforest1155rainforest1155 Registered Users Posts: 4,566 Major grins
    edited October 13, 2005
    Not sure I got it to work like I wanted Mike, but I added keywords to each photo (via bulk) and I just now added keywords to the gallerys. I can 't see either when I log out which is what I wanted. I'm not sure how this helps, but according to you I'll be a#1, numero uno, the top dog on Google pretty soon, right ?
    I see your keywords in the page source and so will google see them. Maybe you should also think beyond the term wedding and all it's variations. I guess people also tend to search for different words related to a wedding - like bride, groom or honeymoon...I think you get the idea.

The page title does show up - just look at the top of your browser window. I would also add your name to it, looks better to me than just "Wedding Photographer - powered by Smugmug".

Good luck with your page,
    Sebastian
    Sebastian
    SmugMug Support Hero
  • Options
    edited October 13, 2005
    I guess I sit back now and wait for my assignments to fill up.

calling shay stephens ear.gif

rolleyes1.gif seriously, tony - you know you have a lot of work to do to make that phone ring off the hook, eh?

your "contact me" info is a little buried imo - make it more prominent.
  • Options
    edited October 13, 2005
    andy wrote:

rolleyes1.gif seriously, tony - you know you have a lot of work to do to make that phone ring off the hook, eh?

Yep, I know, I've only been progressing by word of mouth so far, I seriously need to step it up a notch, I'll take any help that I can get !

Thanks guys, you've been wonderful.

Hey, did I mention my site www.larcombe-photography.com or the other one www.larcombephotography.com rolleyes1.gif
  • Options
    Shay StephensShay Stephens Registered Users Posts: 3,165 Major grins
    edited October 13, 2005
    Trying to get on the first page of google with a "just add water" approach is fun, but not very effective ;-)

And before anyone asks, no, I do not and will not consult on the subject of search engine placement.
    andy wrote:

Creator of Dgrin's "Last Photographer Standing" contest
    "Failure is feedback. And feedback is the breakfast of champions." - fortune cookie
  • Options
    edited October 13, 2005
    Trying to get on the first page of google with a "just add water" approach is fun, but not very effective ;-)

And before anyone asks, no, I do not and will not consult on the subject of search engine placement.
    Oh, umm, thanks for the valuable advice Shay.
  • Options
    Shay StephensShay Stephens Registered Users Posts: 3,165 Major grins
    edited October 13, 2005
    I was responding to Andy, but you are welcome too mwink.gif The advice is of course worth every cent you paid for it hehehe

Oh, umm, thanks for the valuable advice Shay.
    Creator of Dgrin's "Last Photographer Standing" contest
    "Failure is feedback. And feedback is the breakfast of champions." - fortune cookie
  • Options
    David_S85David_S85 Administrators Posts: 13,189 moderator
    edited October 14, 2005
    Tony, if you want to learn more about search engine placement (an area of black magic to be sure), you could begin your reading at Danny Sullivan's Search Engine Watch. It is a subscription site, meaning paying money per year, for the complete contents. However, there is much valuable free content there to digest also.

In my short experience with this subject, placement issues resolve themselves with as much time as they do as in effort. Yes, link everywhere you can to your site, promote yourself in various ways, and use as many descriptive words in your meta search tags in your code (if you can do that). but the longer your site is up there, the higher the ranking it gets.
    My Smugmug
    "You miss 100% of the shots you don't take" - Wayne Gretzky