Options

Wedding Challenge • 08/2011 • CUT THE CAKE!!!

AgnieszkaAgnieszka Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,263 Major grins
edited September 12, 2011 in Weddings
Think the title says it all :D

CLICK HERE TO VIEW THE GALLERY

or go to: www.smugmug.com

login: DgrinExtras
password: knockknock

Then go to: Wedding Challenge • 08/2011 • Cut the Cake!

From there you should be able to upload a pic, but let me know if you have any questions (see top right corner / UPLOAD > TO THIS GALLERY)
When you upload a photo, please name it with YOUR NAME, or your nickname (I need to be able to contact you, if you win, so don't make it too hard, haha). Please do NOT upload full res files as I can't take any responsibilities for it and don't want the photo to end up in the wrong hands. Feel free to put your name on the photo.

Once we announce the winner, the top 3 pics will receive a 1st / 2nd / 3rd place badge :D

The CUT-OFF date is August 30th Matt will then have time to choose the 3 winners and will announce them by September 2nd :barb

Let me (or Matt) know if you have any questions.

:lust

Shhhhhht, there are 2 entries allowed per person.
Let's gooooooo!!! :lynnma

Comments

• Options
    jmphotocraftjmphotocraft Registered Users Posts: 2,987 Major grins
    edited August 9, 2011
    How strict is the title? Only pics of actually cutting the cake are allowed? Or what about pics involving the wedding cake somehow?
    -Jack

An "accurate" reproduction of a scene and a good photograph are often two different things.
  • Options
    edited August 9, 2011
    Hmmmm, pretty sure matt wants that the photo was taken during the cake cutting 'ceremony'. I'm sure we'll have a contest for just wedding cakes sometime later ....
  • Options
    Ed911Ed911 Registered Users Posts: 1,306 Major grins
    edited August 9, 2011
    You might want to check that link to the gallery...it links to a previous challenge...flowers.

Here's the link I'm being directed to: http://dgrinextras.smugmug.com/Wedding-Challenges/Wedding-Challenge-072011/17923716_fSsJ2P#1374198825_FHXvwnc

Just thought I'd let you know.
    Remember, no one may want you to take pictures, but they all want to see them.
    Educate yourself like you'll live forever and live like you'll die tomorrow.

Ed
  • Options
    ShimaShima Registered Users Posts: 2,547 Major grins
    edited August 9, 2011
    Ed911 wrote: »
    You might want to check that link to the gallery...it links to a previous challenge...flowers.

Here's the link I'm being directed to: http://dgrinextras.smugmug.com/Wedding-Challenges/Wedding-Challenge-072011/17923716_fSsJ2P#1374198825_FHXvwnc

Yeah that confused me too just now, heh.
  • Options
    edited August 9, 2011
    Nahhhhhh. I'll change it tomorrow, sorry for that & thanks for the heads up. I'm in a hotel right now with no Internet connection & doing it over the phone will probably just take me longer than I want. Gallery is up though, so just go up to the wedding challenges folder, and you'll find it.

Thanks again!
  • Options
    edited August 9, 2011
    so... can I get an answer?
    -Jack

An "accurate" reproduction of a scene and a good photograph are often two different things.
  • Options
    edited August 9, 2011
    so... can I get an answer?

Thought I was pretty clear? As the title says, CUTTING / knives need to be involved.
  • Options
    edited August 9, 2011
    well, cutting the cake is a very specific and brief moment, I wasn't sure if moments immediately surrounding the actual cutting were allowed, thanks.
    -Jack

• Options
    edited August 9, 2011
    well, cutting the cake is a very specific and brief moment, I wasn't sure if moments immediately surrounding the actual cutting were allowed, thanks.

Will your photo say 'oh look they're cutting the cake' to Matt? Is he gonna get it that the photo was taken around the moment when the cake was cut? I think we're making it sound more complicated than it is right now .... If your couple had their first dance after the cake cutting, then it's obviously not qualifying, if the bride is shuffling a piece of cake in the grooms face, it obviously is.

I can't guess the photo you're thinking of submitting, but I'm pretty sure you can imagine somebody looking at the photo and trying to figure out if they'll make the connection or not.
  • Options
    edited August 9, 2011
    heh, well...

(image deleted - see it in the challenge! :)

they did that right before the cutting. :) notice the cake topper. not that I really think this would win, but I think it's funny.
    -Jack

• Options
    edited August 9, 2011
    Def. understand your 'dilemma' better now. I'd say we'll have to hear what Matt thinks, I can see this goin either way. Jut submit it and in the 'worst' case I can always just take it down.
  • Options
    Matthew SavilleMatthew Saville Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,352 Major grins
    edited August 10, 2011
    Agnieszka wrote: »
    Thought I was pretty clear? As the title says, CUTTING / knives need to be involved.
    I would say that fingers are also allowed, etc. At any rate, I want to see something in the near vicinity of the cake cutting time, and not just a people-less detail shot. As long as people are doing something and cake is in the picture, how's that? (Kid stuffing face with cake after cake cutting, OR kid sneaking a fistful of icing BEFORE the cake cutting? Hehehee... :-)

=Matt=
    My first thought is always of light.” – Galen Rowell
    My SmugMug PortfolioMy Astro-Landscape Photo BlogDgrin Weddings Forum
  • Options
    edited August 10, 2011
    Ed911 wrote: »

Thanks again Ed, should be all fixed now iloveyou.gif
  • Options
    Matthew SavilleMatthew Saville Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,352 Major grins
    edited August 15, 2011
    Hey everybody, let's see some more images!!!

=Matt=
  • Options
    edited August 22, 2011
    I just added my two images. One from a while back and one from this past Saturday's wedding.
  • Options
    japoscjaposc Registered Users Posts: 7 Beginner grinner
    edited August 28, 2011
    I just added one. I'm new to Smugmug, and just getting my business up and running. I shot this last night. The timing is better that the photo quality, but thought it was worth submitting.
  • Options
    nicoleshillidaynicoleshilliday Registered Users Posts: 549 Major grins
    edited August 30, 2011
    just uploaded my two...better late then never! It was a busy month for me even though i didn't shoot any weddings ne_nau.gif im kinda dreading wedding season right now looking at my to do list next to me.

wish we could have added three, just remembered a funny one from a while back. oh well.
    Nicole
    D3, and other Nikon goodies
    Shilliday Photography
    Blog
    Facebook
  • Options
    sphyngesphynge Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 172
    edited August 31, 2011
    just uploaded my two...better late then never! It was a busy month for me even though i didn't shoot any weddings ne_nau.gif im kinda dreading wedding season right now looking at my to do list next to me.

wish we could have added three, just remembered a funny one from a while back. oh well.

Nicole, I think we're supposed to add the dgrin username in the title/caption of the photo to make it easier for judges to find you when you win :D
  • Options
    edited August 31, 2011
    japosc wrote: »
    I just added one. I'm new to Smugmug, and just getting my business up and running. I shot this last night. The timing is better that the photo quality, but thought it was worth submitting.

Welcome! Dgrin is a great resource... I've learned a ton on here. Feel free to ask people specific questions, there's heroes like Matt that are awesome at answering clap.gif
    Happy to help with anything as well :D
  • Options
    nicoleshillidaynicoleshilliday Registered Users Posts: 549 Major grins
    edited August 31, 2011
    sphynge wrote: »
    Nicole, I think we're supposed to add the dgrin username in the title/caption of the photo to make it easier for judges to find you when you win :D

opps i forgot.
    Nicole
    D3, and other Nikon goodies
    Shilliday Photography
    Blog
    Facebook
  • Options
    japoscjaposc Registered Users Posts: 7 Beginner grinner
    edited August 31, 2011
    Welcome! Dgrin is a great resource... I've learned a ton on here. Feel free to ask people specific questions, there's heroes like Matt that are awesome at answering clap.gif
    Happy to help with anything as well :D

Thanks, I will do...
  • Options
    edited August 31, 2011
    Photo deleted?
    Hey everybody, let's see some more images!!!

=Matt=

Hey Matt,

One of the two photos I uploaded (b&g stuffing each other's faces with cakes) got deleted. Does that mean it didn't fit the challenge? And does that mean I can upload another one? rolleyes1.gif
  • Options
    edited August 31, 2011
    Hey Matt,

One of the two photos I uploaded (b&g stuffing each other's faces with cakes) got deleted. Does that mean it didn't fit the challenge? And does that mean I can upload another one? rolleyes1.gif
    I didn't delete it. If it wasn't explicit or anything, please re-upload it! :-)

=Matt=
  • Options
    edited August 31, 2011
    Explicitly... awesome!

=Matt=

It was only explicitly awesome, that's it!! I shall reupload :D
  • Options
    edited September 1, 2011

=Matt=

One of my two was mysteriously deleted as well, very strange!
  • Options
    edited September 2, 2011
    Shima wrote: »
    One of my two was mysteriously deleted as well, very strange!
    Their turned out to simply have been "hidden". I will check and see if any other images have been hidden, before I make my selection!

=Matt=
  • Options
    mmmattmmmatt Registered Users Posts: 1,347 Major grins
    edited September 3, 2011
    As of now there are 10 images visible. To me anyways.
    My Smugmug site

Bodies: Canon 5d mkII, 5d, 40d
    Lenses: 24-70 f2.8L, 70-200 f4.0L, 135 f2L, 85 f1.8, 50 1.8, 100 f2.8 macro, Tamron 28-105 f2.8
    Flash: 2x 580 exII, Canon ST-E2, 2x Pocket Wizard flexTT5, and some lower end studio strobes
  • Options
    edited September 3, 2011
    Wasn't me ... I only deleted photos when people asked me to ... so .. if any of your photos are missing, just re-upload them.
  • Options
    edited September 4, 2011
    Winners!

1st: Photo #4 - One of the things I always look for at a wedding, around the cake in general, is kids looking on with eagerness. I always joke with brides that if I see a kid about to stick his finger in the cake, I'll take their picture and THEN stop them. Unless the bride instructs me otherwise, lol. But anyways, even though the focus of this image is not on the kids faces, nor even completely on the couple but on the cake alone, (shallow depth?) ...I still think that all the expressions combined are quite winning.

2nd: Photo #9 - A unique angle, and an interesting moment. I like the image because it makes me wonder "what is going on in this picture? What is he doing that is embarrassing her?" That is the kind of wedding photography that keeps a story going for generations to come. Maybe it's nothing significant, I could be wrong, but either way it's the photographer's job to capture moments like this, especially in a creative way.

3rd: Photo #1 - For uniqueness and "getting the shot", this one gets recognition for sure. It may or may not have been staged, but either way it's something different and I like to see that as often as possible. :-)

In general, the response I get to all the entries is definitely to think creatively / artistically. And, know your camera SO WELL that exposure and focus aren't hindering you in a situation like this, so that you can be free to consider creativity at all. If the light is terrible and your camera settings are barely cutting it then I totally understand a more traditional, "safe" shot; I do that all the time. But that should make you ready to get photos that really shine when the light is easier, or when something truly memorable happens. :-)

Alright, next contest!

=Matt=
  • Options
    edited September 4, 2011
    Got #2!! So close!! Congrats Shima!
    The story behind photo #9... she had just fed him a ginormous piece of cake, and he was cutting a piece in revengeful proportions... she couldn't bear to see the size of cake that was about to get served to her! I've been wondering if I should include the follow-up shot in the album... where she obviously can't fit it all in her mouth :p