Mark IV

travischancetravischance Registered Users Posts: 642 Major grins
edited August 31, 2011 in Cameras
I purchased a Mark IV & am I completely blown away at its performance! Sure, one can read up on a piece of equipment & know everything about it. I love my 7D; it's a beast of its own, but the Mark IV is in a class by itself!!!
Travis M. Chance
twin Mark IV's & a bunch of "L" glass
sitefacebook

Comments

• ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 24,078 moderator
    edited August 9, 2011
    I am so envious. Congratulations. thumb.gifthumbclap.gif
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • JimKarczewskiJimKarczewski Registered Users Posts: 969 Major grins
    edited August 10, 2011
    I'm envious as well, but I must say, I'm waiting until Sept/Oct before diving into another body. Rumors are new releases after Nikons press announcement on the 24th of this month.. Nobody knows whats coming yet.. but should be interesting to see. :)
  • kdogkdog Administrators Posts: 11,681 moderator
    edited August 10, 2011
    ... I'm waiting until Sept/Oct before diving into another body. Rumors are new releases after Nikons press announcement on the 24th of this month..
    Jeez, nothing like raining on the guy's parade. rolleyes1.gif
  • travischancetravischance Registered Users Posts: 642 Major grins
    edited August 10, 2011
    kdog wrote: »
    Jeez, nothing like raining on the guy's parade. rolleyes1.gif

Laughing.gif. He didn't rain on my parade! I'd been coveting that body since it's release shortly after my 7D. I shot a football game this past weekend & couldn't use it because I'd missed FedEx by about an hour on Saturday! There's still a lot of semi-pro & high school football ahead of us leaving us with plenty of time to get acquainted!
    Travis M. Chance
    sitefacebook
  • holzphotoholzphoto Registered Users Posts: 385 Major grins
    edited August 10, 2011
    would you mind telling me where you purchased it?

thanks

jason
    edited August 10, 2011
    Travis, I'd be very interested in hearing about your initial impression that caused you to feel that it's in a class by itself. Real world experience trumps specs!

Cheers,
    -joel
    edited August 10, 2011
    holzphoto wrote: »
    would you mind telling me where you purchased it?

thanks

jason

eBay from a Videographer for a lot less than a new one. Price gouging is extreme right now!!!
    Travis M. Chance
    sitefacebook
    edited August 10, 2011
    kdog wrote: »
    Travis, I'd be very interested in hearing about your initial impression that caused you to feel that it's in a class by itself. Real world experience trumps specs!

Cheers,
    -joel

I took it along with my 7D outside after receiving it yesterday to see the "real" difference between 8 & 10 fps. 135 f2 @ ISO 1000 & the responsiveness was incredible on the Mark IV. IMO it made my 7D seem really slow when in reality I know it wasn't. I have a grip on my 7D so the bulk felt normal.

The small things stuck out to me. For example, there is a sliding plate on the eyecup that prevents light passing through the viewfinder on long exposures. On my 7D, I always laid a hat or towel over the viewfinder to prevent this. The On/Off button has three settings (on, off & a control for the rear wheel). The 7D doesn't have this & I can't count the number of times I've been shooting a football game only to realize that I've accidentally changed either the aperture (in Manual) or adding exposure in Aperture Priority. Canon removed the mode dial on the Mark IV. I like this as well because again there have been times where I've preset my 7D to desired settings only to find that it had changed from say Manual to Program or Bulb. This happened Sunday while shooting a game. I had the chance to capture a player on the sidelines yelling at his teammates. Fired away and sure enough, my camera had changed to Manual @ 1 sec (totally blown out image)! So far, everything else seems normal & very similar to my 7D (adjusting focus points for portrait & landscape orientation). It's much simpler on the rear of the camera than the 7D (8 buttons vs. 15). I haven't tested image quality but will do so shortly & post images. I'll post more of my findings as time passes.

I love my 7D; it's a great camera & does a lot of things wonderfully! We've dated very seriously over the past 2 years & it's been great to me. It gave me some great images & delivered every time. I just hope that she's OK taking a "back seat" for a while. In the end, I think we'll be one big happy family for a long long long time!
    Travis M. Chance
    sitefacebook
    edited August 11, 2011
    Wasn't trying to rain on anything.. Just saying I'm waiting. I WISH I had a 1DIV right now.. I LOVED that body. CPS loaned it to me while shooting the Indiana State Basketball Finals back in Feb... I LOVED IT. But 2 things, I don't have the $$ for it this moment and nobody has them in stock. That being said, even if I did have the $$ right now I'd try my best (TRY) to not get one because of the upcoming release rumors... Hell, I'd be happy with a 7D right now, shooting sports with a 5DII can be really painful!
    edited August 11, 2011
    Thanks, Travis. Sounds good. Post some samples soon. deal.gif

Jim, relax. I was just razzing ya. :D
  • jheftijhefti Registered Users Posts: 734 Major grins
    edited August 12, 2011
    Travis, I know exactly how you feel! The first time I shot with a 1D4 it was borrowed. I took a few hours to learn the feel, then went and shot a soccer game (not professional, just a local league). I could not believe how great it felt; how responsive and quick. The next day I ordered one and have never regretted it. Amazing camera!

So why is it so hard to get one these days? Is it because of the tsunami?
    edited August 13, 2011
    jhefti wrote: »
    Travis, I know exactly how you feel! The first time I shot with a 1D4 it was borrowed. I took a few hours to learn the feel, then went and shot a soccer game (not professional, just a local league). I could not believe how great it felt; how responsive and quick. The next day I ordered one and have never regretted it. Amazing camera!

So why is it so hard to get one these days? Is it because of the tsunami?

John:

I believe that availability is limited because of the tsunami. I checked online everyday for about 1 month after I'd decided to purchase one & B&H & Penn Camera were the only two retailers who were selling it at MSRP $4,999. I checked Canon refurbished department everyday as well & it too was out of stock. I found mine on eBay from a videographer & the body had just shy of 600 actuations. For the money, it was a great deal.
    Travis M. Chance
    sitefacebook
    edited August 13, 2011
    John:

I believe that availability is limited because of the tsunami. I checked online everyday for about 1 month after I'd decided to purchase one & B&H & Penn Camera were the only two retailers who were selling it at MSRP $4,999. I checked Canon refurbished department everyday as well & it too was out of stock. I found mine on eBay from a videographer & the body had just shy of 600 actuations. For the money, it was a great deal.

Wow! That does sound like a great deal! I just check B&H (my usual source) and they are also out of stock.

Anyway, enjoy!!
    edited August 13, 2011
    Dunno if it was the Tsunami. Canon said they were back to 100% over 2 months ago I believe... You'd think they would had been fine on production and received more in the US. Who knows with MFG's. I'm still wondering why LEE is dragging their a$$ so bad on the 10 stop big stopper filter. It's been out of stock everywhere for over 6 months now.
  • TeamSpeedTeamSpeed Registered Users Posts: 261 Major grins
    edited August 15, 2011
    Here is a mini-review I performed between my 7D and 1D4 over on POTN, same lens, same exposure, etc

http://photography-on-the.net/forum/showthread.php?t=1064983&highlight=mini-review
    7D, 70-200L IS, 17-55 IS 2.8, 150 2.8 macro, 12-24, 100-400L, 85 1.8, 50 1.4
    edited August 15, 2011
    Dunno if it was the Tsunami. Canon said they were back to 100% over 2 months ago I believe... You'd think they would had been fine on production and received more in the US. Who knows with MFG's. I'm still wondering why LEE is dragging their a$$ so bad on the 10 stop big stopper filter. It's been out of stock everywhere for over 6 months now.

I waited over 6 months last year for my 3-stop soft. History shows that Lee experiences the same issue every year but I can't comment on Canon. I got tired of waiting & figured pulling the trigger on a used body was the best route.
    Travis M. Chance
    sitefacebook
    edited August 15, 2011
    TeamSpeed wrote: »
    Here is a mini-review I performed between my 7D and 1D4 over on POTN, same lens, same exposure, etc

http://photography-on-the.net/forum/showthread.php?t=1064983&highlight=mini-review

Thanks for posting. Looks like you received a good amount of responses. I'll read the entire post later.
    Travis M. Chance
    sitefacebook
  • John MuellerJohn Mueller Registered Users Posts: 2,555 Major grins
    edited August 24, 2011
    My 1D 4 is a year old now. Its sits mostly in a bag rolleyes1.gif
    Always grabbing my 3 yr old 5D 2 iloveyou.gif
    edited August 24, 2011
    My 1D 4 is a year old now. Its sits mostly in a bag rolleyes1.gif
    Always grabbing my 3 yr old 5D 2 iloveyou.gif

Any interest in selling it?
    Travis M. Chance
    sitefacebook
    edited August 24, 2011
    Any interest in selling it?

You have a bid here as well!! I need another body and no one has 1d4's in stock...
  • ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 24,078 moderator
    edited August 24, 2011
    Please make any further communications regarding buying and selling in the Flea Market, as a "WTB" (Want To Buy) post, or in a private message.

Thanks,
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
    edited August 24, 2011
    As promised, all images are straight out of the camera (no curves, sharpening, contrast or saturation adjustments) although I cropped a few. My 7D used to produce images like this (here, here, here, here & here) & now they all need adjustments particularly sharpening. I think it has a serious back focus issue & hopefully calibrating it with the Spyder Lens Cal I ordered a few days ago will correct the focus issue. Enjoy!!!

f3.2 @ 1/1600 ISO 200
    i-RF7vLzh-L.jpg

f3.2 @ 1/1600 ISO 200
    i-F5BQ9Wh-L.jpg

f3.2 @ 1/3200 ISO 200
    i-nM7Q7T6-L.jpg

f3.5 @ 1/2500 ISO 200
    i-MsxcQQr-L.jpg

f3.5 @ 1/1250 ISO 200
    i-K8H5BNX-L.jpg

f3.5 @ 1/1600 ISO 200
    i-rNk2VhC-L.jpg

f4.0 @ 1/2000 ISO 200
    i-x57BRhq-L.jpg
    Travis M. Chance
    sitefacebook
  • holzphotoholzphoto Registered Users Posts: 385 Major grins
    edited August 31, 2011
    thanks for the reply, thankfully i was able to get my hands on a refurb....