Options

My first paid wedding

jmphotocraftjmphotocraft Registered Users Posts: 2,987 Major grins
edited August 16, 2011 in Weddings
C&C welcome. I have one full wedding under my belt other than this one. That was a year ago and it was my cousin. I am not full time. Thanks for looking.

1 - the setting
steinhouse001-L.jpg

steinhouse011-XL.jpg

steinhouse039-L.jpg

steinhouse043-X2.jpg

steinhouse054-X2.jpg

steinhouse070-L.jpg

steinhouse085-XL.jpg

8 - bright sun now, tried some shots in the shadow of a gazebo
steinhouse095-L.jpg

9 - and some out in the bright sun
steinhouse098-L.jpg

10 - we moved to the one spot at the venue with room for group shots, some shade, and a decent background
steinhouse112-XL.jpg

steinhouse117-XL.jpg

they are members of a cycling club, which is how they met...
steinhouse150-XL.jpg

now some candids...
steinhouse111-L.jpg

steinhouse181-L.jpg

15 - caught these two smooching behind the arch...
steinhouse177-L.jpg

16 - bm toast
steinhouse237-L.jpg

17 - daughter of the groom
steinhouse276-XL.jpg

18 - uncle of the bride
steinhouse285-XL.jpg

steinhouse329-XL.jpg

20 - first dance
steinhouse304-XL.jpg

steinhouse310-XL.jpg

steinhouse321-XL.jpg

steinhouse341-L.jpg

steinhouse349-XL.jpg

thanks.
-Jack

An "accurate" reproduction of a scene and a good photograph are often two different things.

Comments

• Options
    Moogle PepperMoogle Pepper Registered Users Posts: 2,950 Major grins
    edited August 10, 2011
    I am quite fond of the last one. They look more at ease and relaxed in comparison to the rest of the images.
    Food & Culture.
    www.tednghiem.com
  • Options
    Mark1616Mark1616 Registered Users Posts: 319 Major grins
    edited August 10, 2011
    First question has to be what to the couple think and also what do you think about them?

A few things I would say is keep exposures for faces correct there is quite a change through the series of shots, and also try not to get horizons through heads.

When posing couples, mix things up a bit rather than just 'photos to send to mum' where they are both smiling at the camera. Get them interacting with each other, show the love, the connection between them.

The last is my favorite too!

I'm here to learn so please feel free to give me constructive criticism to help me become the photographer I desire to be.

• Options
    edited August 10, 2011
    Thanks Mark. The note I got back from the couple started with "Initial look through of the photos is fantastic - great job!"

I like the photos fine. I am not experienced with posing, therefore I am no good at it for now. I'm not sure I have it in me either, candids are my thing. However the couple was not into posing anyway and just wanted to get some formal pictures out of the way in a hurry. This was exacerbated by the fact that it was about 90 degrees Fahrenheit. The wedding was pretty laid back in general, it was a second wedding for the groom.

The experience has given me even more respect for the full time and seasoned wedding photographers. It is very stressful! Shooting my cousin's wedding last summer was so much easier because I knew at least half the people there. I don't have any designs on going full time as I have a young family and do not want to give up all my summer weekends.
    -Jack

An "accurate" reproduction of a scene and a good photograph are often two different things.
  • Options
    Mark1616Mark1616 Registered Users Posts: 319 Major grins
    edited August 10, 2011
    They are fun days ;)

The key thing is keeping the customer happy so that's great. Posing isn't the most important depending on style, however if you are having some shots posed it is good to have variety so worth playing around with if you do shoot another one in the future. You've certainly got some nice kit for the job ;)

I'm here to learn so please feel free to give me constructive criticism to help me become the photographer I desire to be.

• Options
    edited August 10, 2011
    Agreed. I should look at some others' posed shots and pick some favorites to replicate before my next wedding. The kit I've built up over time by shooting youth sports, real estate and some other gigs. It's fun.
    -Jack

• Options
    trevorbtrevorb Registered Users Posts: 263 Major grins
    edited August 12, 2011
    For a first wedding you rocked it. You have the eye and everything else will come with time and practice. Looks like you have the gift of getting people to smile and making them feel comfortable in front of the camera.
  • Options
    edited August 12, 2011
    Thank you very much, Trevor!
    -Jack

• Options
    imagesbytmarieimagesbytmarie Registered Users Posts: 30 Big grins
    edited August 16, 2011
    I Love #14. That little boy and his blue eyes are so pretty!

What camera and lens were you using?
  • Options
    edited August 16, 2011
    I Love #14. That little boy and his blue eyes are so pretty!

What camera and lens were you using?

Thanks. 14 and 19 (and others) were with my 7D + 70-200/2.8II. I was also shooting with my 5DII and 24-70L. A few shots are with the 35L, but I chickened out and switched to the 24-70. Exif data should be intact.
    -Jack