Options

Rookie at Studio - Tips Needed Please

MDalbyMDalby Registered Users Posts: 697 Major grins
edited November 26, 2011 in Technique
I am going to be taking a team photo in a gym. We will be wearing tuxedos. The coach would like to have the background dark. I found a shot that has a similar look and feel to what I want to manufacture.

726710182_8qYK8-L.jpg
  1. Is this simply just under exposing by a stop or two using shutter and aperture?
  2. For the background lighting, I need to use an umbrella?
  3. How do I get the star effect on the background lights?
  4. I only have 4 flashes: (2) SB-800 Speedlights and (2) 1800 White Lightnings. So I guess I will use the Speedlights with the umbrellas for the background lighting and the White Lightnings for the subject lighting?

Here is another shot of his set up.

726699501_naZLk-M.jpg

Any tips are greatly appreciated. I really need to nail this team shot.

Thanks in advance for any help!

MD
Nikon D4, 400 2.8 AF-I, 70-200mm 2.8 VR II, 24-70 2.8
CBS Sports MaxPreps Shooter
http://DalbyPhoto.com

Comments

• Options
    edited August 10, 2011
    I haven't used umbrellas before. What kind should I get? Silver, translucent? Can you give me an exact link to a type of umbrella you recommend? Cheaper is always better if you catch my drift. :D

Thanks,

MD
  • Options
    SamSam Registered Users Posts: 7,419 Major grins
    edited August 10, 2011
    Please note I haven't done anything like this but I would start with a dark room, and use camera setting that would not use what ever small amount of ambient light remains.

Now create a spear or area of whatever shape is desired with your lights. Flag the lights so you don't get light spill all over the place. If you use rim lights I wouldn't have them visible. I just want to see the final image not the light setup.

Once you have your lights set for your defined area you will can then play with power settings and tweak the light locations and or modifiers to achieve the look your gong for.

As for the star effect, that is caused by a stopped down aperture.

IMHO I don't think the examples you posted are worth a hoot.

Sam
  • Options
    edited August 10, 2011
    Sam,

Thank you for the response.

When I say I want to manufacture this look, what I mean is I want it to look more dark on the edge of the frame and just highlight the players.

I kinda agree that the flash in the background of the photo can be good or bad. Composition is a new thing for me. I have been mostly shooting action sports where the games takes care of the composition for me. I think I agree with you to not have them in the photo.

I think I am going to start out with a lit room and just stop down my settings to have a dark room and then add flash in the background and on the subject and see if that gets the look I am looking for.
  • Options
    angevin1angevin1 Registered Users Posts: 3,403 Major grins
    edited August 10, 2011
    MDalby wrote: »
    I think I am going to start out with a lit room and just stop down my settings to have a dark room and then add flash in the background and on the subject and see if that gets the look I am looking for.

It will! And thats when you'll realize why you bought those WL's! The SB's placed high and behind without modifers will give you those back lights too. Personally I prefer this over the GS thing we discussed the other day/Thread. Also, the Stars and the number of points are related to the number of blades your aperture iris has.
    tom wise
  • Options
    edited November 9, 2011
    I thought I would share how things turned out on this project.

Here are my shots and the progression that I ended up with. The PhotoShop work was entirely done by a friend of mine that is really good. I could never do this on my own.

Original Photo:
    MTD3851filtered-XL.jpg

PhotoShop Photo:
    Legend-Basketball-Banner0917-XL.jpg

This is my finished product that I used for the high school
    Legend-Banner-2011-XL.jpg
  • Options
    redleashredleash Registered Users Posts: 3,840 Major grins
    edited November 16, 2011
    Looks nice!
    "But ask the animals, and they will teach you." (Job 12:7)

Lauren Blackwell
    www.redleashphoto.com
  • Options
    kitkoskitkos Registered Users Posts: 63 Big grins
    edited November 16, 2011
    I like!
  • Options
    moose135moose135 Registered Users Posts: 1,417 Major grins
    edited November 16, 2011
    I agree - I really like the final product, Mark!
  • Options
    FlyNavyFlyNavy Registered Users Posts: 1,350 Major grins
    edited November 18, 2011
  • Options
    SvennieSvennie Registered Users Posts: 181 Major grins
    edited November 25, 2011
    Nice shot! To nitpick:
    - the chairs don't add anything to the shot, although I like the poses of the two guys. I would have used basket balls in stead.
    - the photoshopping is not that good: you can see blue lines in and around their hair and cloths... The flash light bounces back in blue, which gives a blue cast. Maybe stick to the color of the flexible wall, but smooth it out completely.
    In any case, the end result is much, much better than the two photos in your original post!
  • Options
    Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited November 26, 2011
    Very well done

next time use a black back drop :~}
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website