Options

Questions about pricing

LRussoPhotoLRussoPhoto Registered Users Posts: 458 Major grins
edited August 10, 2011 in Mind Your Own Business
Not sure if this is the right section for these questions so if not just move it to the appropriate section.
I have been taking photos for a little over a year. I have been doing alot of action stuff, primarily ATV racing. Been doing fairly well selling my stuff on Smugmug while also learning as much as I can about portrait, landscapes, etc. I have had family and friends ask be to take photos at parties, like baby showers and such and was offered to be paid for my services but I have declined because I didnt have enough confidence in my ability, doing it for myself is one thing but being paid and having someone count on me for good stuff is another. Well you gotta take the plunge sooner or later so I think I am going to give it a try.
So mu che question is where do I start with pricing? What is the typical way to set pricing? Do I have a price for the event, if so whats the typical price for shooting events? Do I have a price for the event then and addition price for the images they want? I was think maybe put all the images on a disc for them to view with a copyright symbol in the center, then have them give me a list of the one they want for print.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.
D300s D90
Nikon 18-105mm,Nikon 18-200mm,Sigma 24-70mm f2.8, Sigma 70-200mm f/2.8

http://LouRusso.SmugMug.com