Options

DSS 83 - Toothpick Experiments

sapphire73sapphire73 Registered Users, Super Moderators Posts: 1,946 moderator
edited August 21, 2011 in The Dgrin Challenges
Here are a few shots playing with the idea of toothpicks. Felt obliged to purchase a few props along the way.... Would be interested in knowing which, if any, appeal to you for the toothpick challenge. Have tentatively entered an earlier version of the Puzzle.

Cheers,
Gretchen

1. Random
i-M7vqwC4-L.jpg

2. Puzzle (move 3 to change direction)
i-GCGTk2j-L.jpg

[Edit: Removed #3]

4. Left-overs
i-Swc4ZNX-L.jpg

5. In a Bowl
i-86JWJR4-L.jpg

Comments

• Options
    bf2015bf2015 Registered Users Posts: 523 Major grins
    edited August 11, 2011
    I love the comp and color of #2! And I'm still trying to figure out which 3 to move. headscratch.gif
  • Options
    PedalGirlPedalGirl Registered Users Posts: 794 Major grins
    edited August 11, 2011
    What is that in the right of the frame on numbers 1 & 5?
    Pho-tog-ra-pher (n) 1. One who practices photography 2. one obsessed with capturing life with their camera. 3. One who eats, sleeps and breathes photographs. 4. One who sees the world in 4x6.
    www.lisaspeakmanphotography.com
  • Options
    edited August 11, 2011
    PedalGirl wrote: »
    What is that in the right of the frame on numbers 1 & 5?

The toothpicks are in a wooden bowl made with wood that is black and gold colored. The lighter color is at opposite sides of the bowl and is seen at the right side of 1 and 5. (Have other shots where I pulled back to get more of the bowl but only had time to grab a few from this shoot.)
  • Options
    ic4uic4u Registered Users Posts: 1,455 Major grins
    edited August 11, 2011
    I like #2 best, and very clever idea to keep us looking at it to figure out the puzzlemwink.gif
    Karin

"Dance like no one is watching. Sing like no one is listening. Love like you've never been hurt and live like it's heaven on Earth." — Mark Twain
  • Options
    Chris02Chris02 Registered Users Posts: 62 Big grins
    edited August 11, 2011
    No 1 for me
    LR 4.1 Nik Silver efex 2
    D90 + D50 Sigma 17-70mm f2.8-4 DC Macro OS HSM
    Nikon 55-300 mm f4.5-5.6G ED DX AF-S VR
    Landscapes, Sport and Buildings are my bag.
    Chris White Cheltenham England
  • Options
    DirquistDirquist Registered Users Posts: 81 Big grins
    edited August 11, 2011
    Wow, I really like #4. Perfect DOF, exposure and I like chocolate :-) The wood has a awesome texture. Yup, #4 is really interesting to look at. Thanks for sharing!
  • Options
    SeascapeSSeascapeS Registered Users Posts: 814 Major grins
    edited August 11, 2011
    #4. I like the subdued colors and textures.
    SandiZ
    If I could tell the story in words, I wouldn't need to lug around a camera. ~Lewis Hine
    http://sandizphotos-seascapes.smugmug.com/
  • Options
    PedalGirlPedalGirl Registered Users Posts: 794 Major grins
    edited August 11, 2011
    headscratch.gifBTW... the puzzle has me stumped!!! headscratch.gif
    Pho-tog-ra-pher (n) 1. One who practices photography 2. one obsessed with capturing life with their camera. 3. One who eats, sleeps and breathes photographs. 4. One who sees the world in 4x6.
    www.lisaspeakmanphotography.com
  • Options
    edited August 12, 2011
    Hint for solving the puzzle - the fish will be going the opposite direction when you are done moving three toothpicks (and the button).

Appreciate the input you've given on these shots and welcome further input, such as suggestions for further processing or reshooting #2 or #4. I'm leaning toward sticking with #2 just now even though I also like #4 a lot. I want to put this one "to bed" early since I have family coming to stay for a week (for a family wedding) and then head out of the country again the day this challenge ends and my company leaves. So I anticipate a fun but busy time (especially with my dad with AD coming). Thanks!
  • Options
    SnowgirlSnowgirl Registered Users Posts: 2,155 Major grins
    edited August 13, 2011
    Unrelated question - how would there ever be leftover chocolate? not in my house. Fight to the death for the last bite :)
    Creating visual and verbal images that resonate with you.
    http://www.imagesbyceci.com
    http://www.facebook.com/ImagesByCeci
    Picadilly, NB, Canada
  • Options
    edited August 13, 2011
    Well, I didn't actually specify whether there were leftover toothpicks or chocolates, did I? :) I bought 6 chocolates - 2 to satisfy my wish for instant gratification and sustain me for the 24+ hours when I needed the others for the shoot. The coconut truffle didn't make the final cut but did get little bits of coconut on the others.
  • Options
    thonsuthonsu Registered Users Posts: 64 Big grins
    edited August 14, 2011
  • Options
    edited August 14, 2011
    thonsu wrote: »
    Great job incorporating the puzzle :)

Thanks! Glad you like it. And welcome to dgrin! Just looked at one of your galleries - great images there. Really liked this one, for example. Lovely!
  • Options
    thonsuthonsu Registered Users Posts: 64 Big grins
    edited August 14, 2011
  • Options
    dlscott56dlscott56 Registered Users Posts: 1,324 Major grins
    edited August 17, 2011
    #2 is interesting. The title helps keep you looking at the image. I also like #4.
  • Options
    lkbartlkbart Registered Users Posts: 1,912 Major grins
    edited August 19, 2011
    That blue is sure eye-catching, & I like the randomness, but I think #2 is stronger. Really like the lighting - beautiful wood grain, & I love puzzles.
    ~Lillian~
    A photograph is an artistic expression of life, captured one moment at a time . . .
    http://bartlettphotoart.smugmug.com/
  • Options
    CHANDLERJACHANDLERJA Registered Users Posts: 400 Major grins
    edited August 19, 2011
    I like # 2 as well. Great take on the theme that makes you look close in order to solve the puzzle. thumb.gif
    Jeromy
    http://snaptx.smugmug.com/
    Light is everything in life and photography.
  • Options
    edited August 19, 2011
    Thank you all for your input. I have been too busy with family visiting (and a family wedding tomorrow) to spend much time on dgrin, but my R & R has been peeking at what you are all doing for one challenge or the other. I had thought about reshooting #2 but it is unlikely that I will get to it so it is good to know that folks like it pretty well as is. :D

Cheers,
    Gretchen
  • Options
    edited August 21, 2011
    A Few New Puzzle Shots
    Here are a few variations on the puzzle theme, adjusting the perspective, focus, and processing. My current entry is #2 (see above). Do you like any of these better? (And if so, which one?)

Thanks,
    Gretchen

6. Puzzle (move 3 to change direction)
    i-2fsLztz-L.jpg

i-4bSgWBc-L.jpg

i-C88rqbx-L.jpg

i-TKJk9tZ-L.jpg