Which camera to buy? 5d markii or id markiii?? help

ssersser Registered Users Posts: 233 Major grins
edited August 15, 2011 in Cameras
I'm on the fence for my new camera, I shoot weddings, newborns, studio work? what would you do?

Comments

• ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 24,078 moderator
    edited August 11, 2011
    The 5D MKII is more pleasing for flesh tones (IMO) but the 1D MKIII has a better AF section, faster flash sync (especially important for non-dedicated external flash, like with studio flash) and is just much more responsive in general.

There is a considerable weight difference, so for long wedding coverage I prefer a lighter body for the candids/reception. The 5D MKII is the lighter of these 2 bodies, if that matters to you.
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • Matthew SavilleMatthew Saville Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,352 Major grins
    edited August 11, 2011
    My policy is this: Anyone who shoots weddings ought to have at least two fully professional cameras. So, quite honestly, get both! I know that sounds like a tall order without any appreciation for how much things actually cost. But, it's just part of wedding photography in my opinion. You need at least one camera that can do speed and accuracy, and again to be honest, while the 5-series bodies are "good enough" for weddings, I'd still prefer to have a little more performance. (I'm a Nikon shooter so I run with a D700, but I've shot plenty of weddings on 5D's, 5D mk2's and 7D's.)

Of course, if you already have a 7D for example, get the 5D mk2 and let the 7D substitute the 1D mk3. Or, if you already have a 5D classic, get the 1D mk3 and use it for wedding photojournalism and the 5D classic for portraiture or wherever focal length is critical... :-)

=Matt=
    My first thought is always of light.” – Galen Rowell
    My SmugMug PortfolioMy Astro-Landscape Photo BlogDgrin Weddings Forum
  • formform Registered Users Posts: 31 Big grins
    edited August 11, 2011
    Since you can buy refurbished 5d IIs direct from Canon's online refurbished section for $1999 or so, seems like a good option...the problem is of course the AF system lacking reliable outer points. 1d III is probably a good camera in its own right but I would not own one instead of a 5D II (or a 7D) because the value is not as good. If I were exclusively a sports/wildlife shooter, I might consider the 1D series. Otherwise, 5D and 1Ds are my preferred designs.
    Las Vegas wedding photographer: http://www.joeyallenphoto.com
  • Matthew SavilleMatthew Saville Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,352 Major grins
    edited August 12, 2011
    form wrote: »
    Since you can buy refurbished 5d IIs direct from Canon's online refurbished section for $1999 or so, seems like a good option...the problem is of course the AF system lacking reliable outer points. 1d III is probably a good camera in its own right but I would not own one instead of a 5D II (or a 7D) because the value is not as good. If I were exclusively a sports/wildlife shooter, I might consider the 1D series. Otherwise, 5D and 1Ds are my preferred designs.
    Considering that the 5D mk2 originally sold for $2700 and the 1D mk3 originally sold for something like $4500, the fact that they can BOTH be found used for about $2000 would directly imply that the 1D mk3 were a far greater value. The only reason that photojournalists and portrait photographers hesitate to buy a 1D mk3 or mk4 is because the 1.3x crop throws them off. When in fact the 1.3x crop does just fine in low light and at shallow depth, which are really the only two reasons to buy a full-frame body instead.

Again like I said though, it just depends on what the photographer already has. As someone who shoots weddings, at least two professional camera bodies are a good idea. I wouldn't go so far as to say that two 1D mk3's are a better choice than two 5D mk2's, HOWEVER I would certainly prefer to have one of each, over any other option.

=Matt=
    My first thought is always of light.” – Galen Rowell
    My SmugMug PortfolioMy Astro-Landscape Photo BlogDgrin Weddings Forum
  • puzzledpaulpuzzledpaul Registered Users Posts: 1,621 Major grins
    edited August 12, 2011
    Wouldn't a fairer comparison between these 2 cams - from a weight / cost pov be the case if the 5Dm2 included a grip - since I suspect portrait orientation is used a fair bit in the mentioned genres?
    From my experience (w 1Dm3) the weather sealing compared with that afforded by a 'bolt on afterthought' with the 5D should also be a factor (altho maybe not as much as with wildlife).

One of each sounds a good mix to (and for) me, btw.

pp
  • roletterolette Registered Users Posts: 223 Major grins
    edited August 13, 2011
    Dual slots on the 1D would be another semi-important factor for wedding photography, no?

Having said that, I've never had a card go bad on me and statistically the odds are low.
  • ThatCanonGuyThatCanonGuy Registered Users Posts: 1,778 Major grins
    edited August 13, 2011
    The 1DmkIII is fast, heavy, sturdy, versatile. The 5DII is not as fast, heavy, sturdy, or versatile as the 1DIII, but it does provide better image quality (IQ). I agree with the others, get whichever you don't have. If you already have a 1-Series, get the 5DII. If you already have a 5-Series, get the 1DIII.

If you don't have either, an option would be to get older bodies, but stay in both lines. Like 1DII + 5DII, etc.
  • Brett1000Brett1000 Registered Users Posts: 819 Major grins
    edited August 15, 2011
    sser wrote: »
    I'm on the fence for my new camera, I shoot weddings, newborns, studio work? what would you do?

for weddings, studio and newborn the 5DmkII looks like a good choice