Options

DSS 83: Toothpick ideas for C&C

tinamarie52tinamarie52 Registered Users Posts: 954 Major grins
edited August 22, 2011 in The Dgrin Challenges
Hi,

I had a chance to play with toothpicks today. Are any of these heading in the direction of being challenge-worthy? Yes, I did make this placemat from the toothpicks.

1 bird'seye view
ca-8466-M.jpg

2 Toothpick place mat with Vinca
ca-8504-M.jpg

3 Toothpick placemat with cheese snack
ca-8514-M.jpg

4 Toothpick placemat with cheese
ca-8534-M.jpg

I have one other very complicated idea that I may have time to execute next week.

Please offer critique!

Chris
http://chrisadamczyk.smugmug.com

When you come to a door... walk through it.
If it's locked... find an open window.

Comments

• Options
    ic4uic4u Registered Users Posts: 1,455 Major grins
    edited August 11, 2011
    I'm really liking #1 and 2, with a slight preference for #2 for it's uniqueness and comp.
    Wondering if maybe a little more saturation or contrast just to make it pop more, but it could be my screen. 3 and 4 are nice, but kinda ordinary. Just my 2 cents. Nice work!
    Karin

"Dance like no one is watching. Sing like no one is listening. Love like you've never been hurt and live like it's heaven on Earth." — Mark Twain
  • Options
    SeascapeSSeascapeS Registered Users Posts: 814 Major grins
    edited August 11, 2011
    I like #1. I think the composition is good as well as the colors.
    SandiZ
    If I could tell the story in words, I wouldn't need to lug around a camera. ~Lewis Hine
    http://sandizphotos-seascapes.smugmug.com/
  • Options
    PedalGirlPedalGirl Registered Users Posts: 794 Major grins
    edited August 11, 2011
    Love the tp placemat.... #4 in my opinion is more about the cheese than the toothpicks. I think #2 or #3 showcase the mat more.
    Pho-tog-ra-pher (n) 1. One who practices photography 2. one obsessed with capturing life with their camera. 3. One who eats, sleeps and breathes photographs. 4. One who sees the world in 4x6.
    www.lisaspeakmanphotography.com
  • Options
    kwickerskwickers Registered Users Posts: 310 Major grins
    edited August 11, 2011
    Number 2 is my fav.
    Photos.KeithWickersham.com
  • Options
    GretaPicsGretaPics Registered Users Posts: 373 Major grins
    edited August 12, 2011
    #1 I like for colors and composition; #2 I like for showing clever use of toothpicks and the flower placement giving it a "zen" quality; #3 & #4 don't seem as much on theme as the others. GP
  • Options
    edited August 12, 2011
    Thanks for the feed back everyone. I'll dump the cheese and work with the mat. I do have another idea that will take me a lot of time to figure out.

Does anyone have any sugesstions for retakes or processing on the colored toothpicks?

Chris

• Options
    sapphire73sapphire73 Registered Users, Super Moderators Posts: 1,946 moderator
    edited August 12, 2011
    Hi Chris,

I'm really impressed with the toothpick placement you made!

#2 is one option - I like the clear focus on the mat. Wonder what it would look like from another perspective? Lower than #3 and #4 with sharp focus on a portion of the mat?

#3 I think that a variation of this might work as long as part of the mat is in focus. One or three cubes of cheese would be fun. I noticed that you used a colored toothpick for the cheese and plain for the mat. It's a small detail but it might work a bit better with a plain toothpick as in #4.

#1 I like this idea but it might fall into the category of something we'd expect to see and I have seen this shot before. Your placemat is unique. If you go with something like #1, I would suggest a different background color so that the soft colors of the toothpicks can take center stage, so to speak.

Please feel very free to ignore all of this and go with your gut. :D

Gretchen
  • Options
    FrochFroch Registered Users Posts: 571 Major grins
    edited August 13, 2011
    I love the light on all of these Chris.
  • Options
    edited August 14, 2011
    Paul... all window light around noon.
    Gretchen...thanks for the thoughtful input.

I'll keep working on it.

Chris

• Options
    thonsuthonsu Registered Users Posts: 64 Big grins
    edited August 17, 2011
    Glad you went with the one (or two?) I see up in the gallery. I also love the title you gave it. Have you read that book (the one partially about motorcycle maintenance, not toothpicks :D)?
  • Options
    angevin1angevin1 Registered Users Posts: 3,403 Major grins
    edited August 17, 2011
    Oh wow! My mouth is still open! I love that Mat! Wow! and maybe it's just me, but these are fab!
    tom wise
  • Options
    dlscott56dlscott56 Registered Users Posts: 1,324 Major grins
    edited August 17, 2011
    Love your current entry. Very nicely done. Also enjoy the other 'mat' photos.
  • Options
    lkbartlkbart Registered Users Posts: 1,912 Major grins
    edited August 17, 2011
    I agree - really like the mat, & the flower on it is my preference. Bet that took some time to set up!
    ~Lillian~
    A photograph is an artistic expression of life, captured one moment at a time . . .
    http://bartlettphotoart.smugmug.com/
  • Options
    edited August 17, 2011
    Thonsu, tom, Dave and Lillian, thanks for all of your kind comments about the mat. It makes the time it took to make worth it! I like it for the simplicity, pattern and texture.

My family shakes their heads at the time I spend working on these challenges. It's been a long time since I've been able to take the time to shoot. Your appreciation of the photos makes it so awesome to be back here!

Chris

• Options
    sapphire73sapphire73 Registered Users, Super Moderators Posts: 1,946 moderator
    edited August 22, 2011
    My family shakes their heads at the time I spend working on these challenges. It's been a long time since I've been able to take the time to shoot. Chris

Chris, just stopping by to say that your title for the placement entry is great! And my family does some head shaking as well. :D Glad you have a bit more time for shooting now!