SD4000 vs ELPH 500 vs S95

RedSoxRedSox Registered Users Posts: 92 Big grins
edited August 13, 2011 in Cameras
Long story short, my wife's SD800 was tossed into the ocean in Maine by my 6-year old. Soooooo it is time for a new camera. :clap.

I was eyeing the S95 but after played a bit in Best Buy. The pop up flash really bothered me. I wish it could be in the middle rather on the side. So my finger won't constantly blocking it. This could be a problem for wife as she uses the 'auto' mode a lot.

Since it is mainly for my wife. The AV TV M is not that important. So I am looking into the ELPH 500 and SD4000 as well. I heard lots of buzz about the magic backlit CMOS. The thing important to me is the high ISO. Does anyone know if their high ISO (800, and up) IQ are comparable to the S95. If not how many stops below? Or another word, if I do not pixel peep, how big a decent print I can get from ISO 800 and up (If exposed properly of cause)?

Eric

Comments

• ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 24,078 moderator
    edited August 12, 2011
    Imaging Resources has samples from each of those cameras at different ISOs:

SD4000

S95

ELPH 500 HS
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • Chuck289Chuck289 Registered Users Posts: 43 Big grins
    edited August 13, 2011
    I think the ELPH 500 is more or less the newer version of the SD4000. I have the SD4000. I'd say the image quality is decent at 800, and I prefer to never go higher than that if I can help it. I've never used an S95, or any of the larger sensor point and shoots, but I would imagine the larger sensor of the S95 would give you significantly better high iso performance.