How Far Is This????

DogdotsDogdots Registered Users Posts: 8,795 Major grins
edited August 15, 2011 in Cameras
I was taking some photos of the Blue Angels today and checked the distance on the info saved on my photo. It said it was ... 4294967295m. How far is this and is the Subject Distance accurate? My lens registered at 98mm.

If this is in the wrong section .. please move me :D

Comments

• SandSand Registered Users Posts: 40 Big grins
    edited August 12, 2011
    That's about 2.7 million miles. It is more than ten times the distance to the Moon. As the Blue Angels do not fly that high, it has to be a little off. I suspect the lens was at infinity and just gave you a rediculous number for the distance.
  • DogdotsDogdots Registered Users Posts: 8,795 Major grins
    edited August 12, 2011
    Sand wrote: »
    That's about 2.7 million miles. It is more than ten times the distance to the Moon. As the Blue Angels do not fly that high, it has to be a little off. I suspect the lens was at infinity and just gave you a rediculous number for the distance.

2.7 million miles rolleyes1.gifYep it gave me a ridiculous number. The planes flew right over me when I was on my deck. At 95mm I lost some of the front of the plane. Sure would like to know how close they are. Bummer.

i-TCLgLtm-L.jpg
  • GlassDarklyGlassDarkly Registered Users Posts: 14 Big grins
    edited August 12, 2011
    Elevation Relative to Ground
    From Wikipedia:

The parameters of each show must be tailored to local weather: in clear weather the "high" show is performed; in overcast conditions a "low" show is performed, and in limited visibility (weather permitting) the "flat" show is presented.[citation needed] The "high" show requires an 8,000-foot (2,400 m) ceiling and visibility of 3 nautical miles (6 km) from the show's centerpoint. "Low" and "flat" ceilings are 3,500 feet (~1 km) and 1,500 feet (460 m) respectively.

This gives you an idea of how high (ceiling) they will fly in the given weather conditions, but if your lens is lying to you I would try using nearby landmarks (buildings, trees etc.) to estimate how high or low to the deck they were cruising.

G.
    Glenn H.
    For we see as in a glass darkly...
    PhotoBeanStudio
    JPSnuffy@Flickr
    edited August 12, 2011
    From Wikipedia:

The parameters of each show must be tailored to local weather: in clear weather the "high" show is performed; in overcast conditions a "low" show is performed, and in limited visibility (weather permitting) the "flat" show is presented.[citation needed] The "high" show requires an 8,000-foot (2,400 m) ceiling and visibility of 3 nautical miles (6 km) from the show's centerpoint. "Low" and "flat" ceilings are 3,500 feet (~1 km) and 1,500 feet (460 m) respectively.

This gives you an idea of how high (ceiling) they will fly in the given weather conditions, but if your lens is lying to you I would try using nearby landmarks (buildings, trees etc.) to estimate how high or low to the deck they were cruising.

G.

Yikes .. they weren't very high. That's scary. I do have some photos of them between the trees from my house and trees next to my house. We had clouds today, but not overcast. Storms were in the area to the west of us. Didn't check the ceiling tho. Usually do to on the weather channel. I'll do that tomorrow tho.

Thank you for the info. Learned a lot :D
  • RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,954 moderator
    edited August 13, 2011
    Sand wrote: »
    Yeah, I see something like that all the time when the lens is focused at infinity. My impression is that all the distance to subject EXIF data reported by Canon lenses is probably being misinterpreted by the software that's decoding it. I pay no attention to it.
    edited August 13, 2011
    I took a look at the other photos I took and no data was entered for distance. Why it happened on that one is a mystery to me.
  • RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,954 moderator
    edited August 13, 2011
    Exactly the same camera/lens combination on the others? Same processing software and workflow?
    edited August 13, 2011
    Richard wrote: »
    Exactly the same camera/lens combination on the others? Same processing software and workflow?

Yep they're all the same. Planes came so fast at me I just keep shooting and leaning back till they went over the house behind me. Haven't processed the others yet. But the one I posted I just cropped off the edges. Didn't scale to anything nor did I enlarge closer.

Orig. photo ... Mega editing was done :D The sun hit this one funky so I played with it. While looking at the data is when I saw the distance listed.

i-VTBND6T-L.jpg
  • puzzledpaulpuzzledpaul Registered Users Posts: 1,621 Major grins
    edited August 13, 2011
    Dogdots wrote: »
    Sure would like to know how close they are. Bummer.

Can't you get the distance using trig / geometry?

Knowing the focal length gives you view angle.
    Aircraft specs'll give you with the info necessary to get the size of space captured on the focus plane ...

Whilst there'll be some error because the aircraft aren't 'square on' ... I suspect the answer'll be slightly more accurate than 2.7m miles :)

pp

Edit
    I get approx 456ft.
    edited August 13, 2011
    Can't you get the distance using trig / geometry?

Knowing the focal length gives you view angle.
    Aircraft specs'll give you with the info necessary to get the size of space captured on the focus plane ...

Whilst there'll be some error because the aircraft aren't 'square on' ... I suspect the answer'll be slightly more accurate than 2.7m miles :)

pp

Edit
    I get approx 456ft.

I'm not a math person unfortunately. Wish I were. Your estimation sounds closer :D

Took this one yesterday too. My focal length was 235mm. Standing in the same spot on the deck only looking to my left to the corner of our lot.

i-SLWf9J2-L.jpg
  • ImageX PhotographyImageX Photography Registered Users Posts: 528 Major grins
    edited August 14, 2011
    You must have one heck of a zoom lens to reach millions of miles!!! clap.gifMust have been a sight to see them come over your house.

.... had to share this one I got last year. Exif is showing 270mm.

1007022113_dfYrG-M-2.jpg
    edited August 14, 2011
    You must have one heck of a zoom lens to reach millions of miles!!! clap.gifMust have been a sight to see them come over your house.

.... had to share this one I got last year. Exif is showing 270mm.

1007022113_dfYrG-M-2.jpg

Great photo thumb.gifthumb Ah Gee ... wish I could get a shot like that :cry I need to actually attend the air show to get one probably.

As for my lens .. it sure did throw out a doozie of a number didn't it. Think NASA would be interested in it rolleyes1.gif
  • jgoetz4jgoetz4 Registered Users Posts: 1,267 Major grins
    edited August 14, 2011
    Good Afternoon MK,
    Remember, your 40D is a 1.6x crop camera. I think you said you had the 1.4x tc attached as well. If you carry the 1, then add the x & y factor, you get somewhere in the neighborhood of 520', give or take rolleyes1.gif I'm sure their fly-by was well above the minimum height requirement for a residential area. I'd still check your foundation, sidewalks, driveway, etc for any new cracks, just to be sure thumb.gif
    Have a good afternoon :D
    Jim...
    edited August 14, 2011
    jgoetz4 wrote: »
    Good Afternoon MK,
    Remember, your 40D is a 1.6x crop camera. I think you said you had the 1.4x tc attached as well. If you carry the 1, then add the x & y factor, you get somewhere in the neighborhood of 520', give or take rolleyes1.gif I'm sure their fly-by was well above the minimum height requirement for a residential area. I'd still check your foundation, sidewalks, driveway, etc for any new cracks, just to be sure thumb.gif
    Have a good afternoon :D
    Jim...

Now Jim .... no x's and y's for me rolleyes1.gif

They flew today and didn't fly the same route. Even flew higher too :cry
  • PrevailingConditionsPrevailingConditions Registered Users Posts: 178 Major grins
    edited August 15, 2011
    Don't mean to get overly geeked out here, but 4294967295 is the largest unsigned value you can store in 32 bits. I'm guessing that the developer decided to use this value when focused at infinity, but that's just a guess.

Thanks,

Mike
    flickr
    I welcome your feedback, but leave the editing to me - thanks!
    edited August 15, 2011
    Don't mean to get overly geeked out here, but 4294967295 is the largest unsigned value you can store in 32 bits. I'm guessing that the developer decided to use this value when focused at infinity, but that's just a guess.

Thanks,

Mike

That's really interesting. I didn't know this.