Last Weekend's Pin Up Session

anonymouscubananonymouscuban Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 4,586 Major grins
edited August 16, 2011 in People
I've gone through about half the shots I took last weekend of the three gals that asked me to shoot pin up-style photos of them. I knew one of the gals. The other two I had never met. I didn't know what they'd be wearing since they went shopping for their clothes the day of the shoot. I had a lot of fun as did the girls. One of the gals was a bit shy. She refused to smile in any of the photos so it was a bit of a challenge.

I'd like some feedback on these. I think they turned out OK. My wife tells me I'm way too critical and that the gals are going to be extremely happy with these. You tell me.

Just a few:

i-4NrN4RZ-XL.jpg

i-jdHfmQf-XL.jpg

i-8KrT4Wn-XL.jpg

i-gmhNdLJ-XL.jpg

i-FX5FfKs-XL.jpg

i-nSLh4jQ-XL.jpg
"I'm not yelling. I'm Cuban. That's how we talk."

Moderator of the People and Go Figure forums

My Smug Site

Comments

• garratt15agarratt15a Registered Users Posts: 71 Big grins
    edited August 13, 2011
    Great shots. I like them all, without digging too deep into, ' this would be better if you had done X and that would be better if Y ' etc, etc.
    They look like they are having fun, and look good to boot !
  • reyvee61reyvee61 Registered Users Posts: 1,877 Major grins
    edited August 13, 2011
    You've nailed the genre Alex...
    What a beauty!
    Has she had any new quotes you can share since the raisin one?
    Ha ha ha
    Yo soy Reynaldo
  • TenThirteenTenThirteen Registered Users Posts: 488 Major grins
    edited August 13, 2011
    garratt15a wrote: »
    Great shots. I like them all, without digging too deep into, ' this would be better if you had done X and that would be better if Y ' etc, etc.
    They look like they are having fun, and look good to boot !

Beautiful shots, they will LOVE them, and it's important not to get lost in the technical complaints/advice on these shots.

You're awesome /Thread, hehe
    Canon Fan
  • SamSam Registered Users Posts: 7,419 Major grins
    edited August 13, 2011
    Alex,

I think any photographer who is trying to create great images will tend to be critical of their own efforts. This is as it should be. The trick is not be over critical and to have the ability to step back and see the image from a more global over all viewpoint. It can also be helpful to get second opinions.

That said, I think you did good. They will be thrilled. Chill and listen to your wife. :D

Sam
  • anonymouscubananonymouscuban Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 4,586 Major grins
    edited August 13, 2011
    Thanks all. These gals are going to select one shot each and I'm going to print them pretty large, about 16x20 or so. They are going to display them at a 50's theme party that they're having. I want do give them a few "finish" options that I will apply to the photos they select. They may end up wanting the straight shot with no effect but I'd like to give them options.

Here are a couple of effects I've worked up this morning just goofing around. I don't typically do this kind of stuff so feedback is greatly appreciated:

i-CgPVvKk-XL.jpg

i-b8fXWmh-XL.jpg

My Smug Site
  • Bryce WilsonBryce Wilson Registered Users Posts: 1,586 Major grins
    edited August 13, 2011
    I like those two finishes.

The other day, while surfing around I found this site. http://lightroomkillertips.com/ I think the preset featured second from the top (The one with the tennis shoes) might be something you might like to play with for these.

Not sure if it would look bad, good of great, but for free, it's worth a shot eh?
  • zoomerzoomer Registered Users Posts: 3,688 Major grins
    edited August 13, 2011
  • SystemSystem Registered Users Posts: 8,186 moderator
    edited August 13, 2011
    Very well done!
  • marikrismarikris Registered Users Posts: 930 Major grins
    edited August 14, 2011
    These are great, Alex! They are going to be super happy with these.
    I like the processing of the two you posted as well.

Here's some feedback for you:
    I think some of them just needs a little more light in their eyes.
    In #1, if you moved the light a little bit more to the left so that the shadow under her nose is more symmetrical, you'd get a nice butterfly light on her face, and would probably get rid of the shadow in her right eye (our left).
    Anyway, they have dark eyes, so having a reflector to throw some light in them would make them pop more. That's just nitpicky. I think you did a great job.

~ Kris
  • anonymouscubananonymouscuban Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 4,586 Major grins
    edited August 14, 2011
    marikris wrote: »
    These are great, Alex! They are going to be super happy with these.
    I like the processing of the two you posted as well.

Here's some feedback for you:
    I think some of them just needs a little more light in their eyes.
    In #1, if you moved the light a little bit more to the left so that the shadow under her nose is more symmetrical, you'd get a nice butterfly light on her face, and would probably get rid of the shadow in her right eye (our left).
    Anyway, they have dark eyes, so having a reflector to throw some light in them would make them pop more. That's just nitpicky. I think you did a great job.

~ Kris

Thanks Kris. That's my biggest nit with some of these. I really missed on the eyes. They had really dark eye shadow and a lot of eye liner so I think that didn't help matters. I'm pretty confident they will love them but from my perspective, the photographer, I see these little things that I could have done better. I have to let go a little and not be so critical but at the same time, learn for the next time.

My Smug Site
  • ImageX PhotographyImageX Photography Registered Users Posts: 528 Major grins
    edited August 14, 2011
    Nice shots. I hope to try some pin ups soon.
  • divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
    edited August 14, 2011
    thumb.gif

Love 'em, Alex! Sure, there are some nits, but I think overall you delivered. Really like the vintage-y processing on the shots in post 6.
  • puzzledpaulpuzzledpaul Registered Users Posts: 1,621 Major grins
    edited August 15, 2011
    zoomer wrote: »
    They are all ok.
    3 is money.

+1 (by a fair margin imo)

Also find the bg in 4,6 distracting, compared with the others.

pp
  • sweet carolinesweet caroline Registered Users Posts: 1,589 Major grins
    edited August 15, 2011
    I like the background in #4, but not in #6. Isn't that funny? You pretty much nailed this shoot, my friend.
    edited August 15, 2011
    I like the background in #4, but not in #6. Isn't that funny? You pretty much nailed this shoot, my friend.

It actually isn't... there is a difference.

The BG is a set of panels I picked up that morning while shopping at Target with my wife. I put them up and I was going to steam all the wrinkles out and I got sidetracked and wasn't able to. After I downloaded the photos, I was really pissed at myself for not taking the extra 15 minutes to get the wrinkles out. They showed horribly in all the pics. I tried my best to heal the wrinkles out in post but the pattern in the fabric made it almost impossible.

I still had the panels up so I diced to take a few pics of the BG in hopes that I could mask them in... you know, like a composite. Number 6 is the original BG and #4 is a composite. I wanted to see if anyone noticed the difference before I edited the pics with the new BG. Guess I will now. thumb.gif

My Smug Site
  • PhotosbychuckPhotosbychuck Registered Users Posts: 1,239 Major grins
    edited August 16, 2011
    Great Set bowdown.gif
    D300S, 18-200mm VR, 70-300mm VR

Aperture Focus Photography
    http://aperturefocus.com