A Couple Of Seriously Old Gates

black mambablack mamba Registered Users Posts: 8,323 Major grins
edited August 26, 2011 in Other Cool Shots
St-Augustine-8-13-11-014-X2.jpg

St-Augustine-8-13-11-020-X2.jpg
I always wanted to lie naked on a bearskin rug in front of a fireplace. Cracker Barrel didn't take kindly to it.

Comments

• SnowgirlSnowgirl Registered Users Posts: 2,155 Major grins
    edited August 15, 2011
    I really like these. For me, I think the first one might be nicer with less of the house on the right visible.
    Creating visual and verbal images that resonate with you.
    http://www.imagesbyceci.com
    http://www.facebook.com/ImagesByCeci
    Picadilly, NB, Canada
  • black mambablack mamba Registered Users Posts: 8,323 Major grins
    edited August 16, 2011
    Snowgirl wrote: »
    I really like these. For me, I think the first one might be nicer with less of the house on the right visible.

Thanks for looking in. I visit these old gates at least once a year. It's interesting the different look they have between Winter and Summer.

Tom
    I always wanted to lie naked on a bearskin rug in front of a fireplace. Cracker Barrel didn't take kindly to it.
  • DonRicklinDonRicklin Registered Users Posts: 5,551 Major grins
    edited August 17, 2011
    Seriously interesting subjects, well shot, Tom thumb.gif

:D

Don
    Don Ricklin - Gear: Canon EOS 5D Mark III, was Pentax K7
    'I was older then, I'm younger than that now' ....
    My Blog | Q+ | Moderator, Lightroom Forums | My Amateur Smugmug Stuff | My Blurb book Rust and Whimsy. More Rust , FaceBook
    edited August 17, 2011
    DonRicklin wrote: »
    Seriously interesting subjects, well shot, Tom thumb.gif

:D

Don

Hi Don,

I appreciate the kind words. It's not hard to find interesting subjects in the country's oldest city.

Tom
  • CornflakeCornflake Registered Users Posts: 3,346 Major grins
    edited August 17, 2011
    Fine compositions. Good work.
    edited August 19, 2011
    Cornflake wrote: »
    Fine compositions. Good work.

Thanks for looking in, Don. I certainly appreciate the kind remarks.

Tom
  • redleashredleash Registered Users Posts: 3,840 Major grins
    edited August 19, 2011
    Don't I recognize these from a previous post, Tom? You did say you "visit them at least once a year." They are beautiful gates. I like the framing of the shot in #2.

Lauren
    "But ask the animals, and they will teach you." (Job 12:7)

Lauren Blackwell
    www.redleashphoto.com
  • EiaEia Registered Users Posts: 3,627 Major grins
    edited August 19, 2011
    They may be old but they are still inviting! Really nice....
    edited August 19, 2011
    redleash wrote: »
    Don't I recognize these from a previous post, Tom? You did say you "visit them at least once a year." They are beautiful gates. I like the framing of the shot in #2.

Lauren

You're right, Lauren, I've featured these jewels in a prior post. It's really interesting to see the different look they have in the Summer as compared to the Winter.....what with the change of foliage and all. The first one shown also gets a real dressing up with decorations at Christmas time. However, that home recently sold.....for goodness knows what, it's right in the heart of St. Augustine's old historic area....and the new owner may not give it the holiday treatment. Also, the new owner allows the top panel in the door to swing open and stay that way, so that, now, you get a good look into their magnificent courtyard. The second gate is only about a block away from the first one.

Take care,

Tom
    edited August 19, 2011
    Eia wrote: »
    They may be old but they are still inviting! Really nice....

It's really great to hear from you, Eia. Like you, I too find these old gates inviting. Depending on the available light, the second gate can also project a very mysterious aura.

Throughout the old historic area of St. Augustine, I've chosen about 25 old gates as candidates for a special project featuring them. Each seems to have it's own story to tell....I've just got to find the time to devote to the deal. I want to do it really right.

Thanks for your support and kind words,

Tom
    edited August 19, 2011
    This is a shot....similar to one I've previously posted....of one of the other candidate gates for the special project I mentioned above.

772518020_Aw5bX-X2.jpg
  • DonRicklinDonRicklin Registered Users Posts: 5,551 Major grins
    edited August 19, 2011
    Seriouser and seriouser! Love your project concept. Sounds like a Blurb book in the making! :Dthumb.gif

You even made the reclining statue PC! eek7.gif

clap.gif

Don
    Don Ricklin - Gear: Canon EOS 5D Mark III, was Pentax K7
    'I was older then, I'm younger than that now' ....
    My Blog | Q+ | Moderator, Lightroom Forums | My Amateur Smugmug Stuff | My Blurb book Rust and Whimsy. More Rust , FaceBook
  • DogdotsDogdots Registered Users Posts: 8,795 Major grins
    edited August 19, 2011
    I really like how each is so different. Sets off the personality of whom ever lives behind them.
  • redleashredleash Registered Users Posts: 3,840 Major grins
    edited August 20, 2011
    You weren't tempted to forego the mountain house and buy that house in St Augustine? :D
    "But ask the animals, and they will teach you." (Job 12:7)

Lauren Blackwell
    www.redleashphoto.com
    edited August 20, 2011
    Dogdots wrote: »
    I really like how each is so different. Sets off the personality of whom ever lives behind them.

Thanks for looking in, Mary. Like you, I find these gates to have an individual appeal. When I pull my project together, I hope to be able to give some significant insight into the story behind each gate.

Take care,

Tom
    edited August 20, 2011
    redleash wrote: »
    You weren't tempted to forego the mountain house and buy that house in St Augustine? :D

It's funny you should mention that, Lauren. As you may know, my wife, Darlene, was born and raised in St. Augustine. In fact, she is a direct descendant of one of the nine founding families that first settled there....going back to the early 1600's. At one time, we gave serious consideration to moving down there from Jacksonville. And our point of focus was the old historic area of town.

For a variety of reasons, we decided to stay where we are. I can tell you this....there are many issues that crop up that can negate the quaintness and charm of living in a very historic area. Particularly one that is so tourist ridden as is St. Augustine.

In my case, though, the drive to escape Florida's heat and humidity has assumed primal proportions. Having had a mountain home up in the Appalachians for the last 25 years has been instrumental in saving my sanity. As soon as the new home up there is completed, it's adiós to Florida for good.

Take care,

Tom
    edited August 21, 2011
    It's funny you should mention that, Lauren. As you may know, my wife, Darlene, was born and raised in St. Augustine. In fact, she is a direct descendant of one of the nine founding families that first settled there....going back to the early 1600's. At one time, we gave serious consideration to moving down there from Jacksonville. And our point of focus was the old historic area of town.

For a variety of reasons, we decided to stay where we are. I can tell you this....there are many issues that crop up that can negate the quaintness and charm of living in a very historic area. Particularly one that is so tourist ridden as is St. Augustine.

In my case, though, the drive to escape Florida's heat and humidity has assumed primal proportions. Having had a mountain home up in the Appalachians for the last 25 years has been instrumental in saving my sanity. As soon as the new home up there is completed, it's adiós to Florida for good.

Take care,

Tom

I know Lauren likes to escape the heat in Texas - in fact she's coming further north to visit me in the fall clap.gifivar

But for those of us north of the 49th parallel that endure 6 months of miserable cold, it's a foreign concept to want to escape the heat!

Although - in fairness - my favourite time of year is from now (mid-August) through to late October when the sun still has warmth in it, the air has a bit of a nip to it, the g.d. bugs (and tourists) have gone home and before winter creeps in.

You would love my nearest city, Saint John, NB. It's Canada's oldest incorporated city and rife with old buildings, ancient burial grounds, martello tower, and other locations of historical significance. Plus, of course, we live in Canada's "picture province" on the shores of the Bay of Fundy boasting the highest tides (35 - 50' twice a day) in the world.

Oh boy, sounds like I work for the Tourism Dept. does't it? But no, I just love my home.

If you ever want to visit this neck of woods, let me know. I can give you a list of places to visit that you'd probably enjoy.
    Picadilly, NB, Canada
    edited August 21, 2011
    Snowgirl wrote: »
    I know Lauren likes to escape the heat in Texas - in fact she's coming further north to visit me in the fall clap.gifivar

But for those of us north of the 49th parallel that endure 6 months of miserable cold, it's a foreign concept to want to escape the heat!

Although - in fairness - my favourite time of year is from now (mid-August) through to late October when the sun still has warmth in it, the air has a bit of a nip to it, the g.d. bugs (and tourists) have gone home and before winter creeps in.

You would love my nearest city, Saint John, NB. It's Canada's oldest incorporated city and rife with old buildings, ancient burial grounds, martello tower, and other locations of historical significance. Plus, of course, we live in Canada's "picture province" on the shores of the Bay of Fundy boasting the highest tides (35 - 50' twice a day) in the world.

Oh boy, sounds like I work for the Tourism Dept. does't it? But no, I just love my home.

If you ever want to visit this neck of woods, let me know. I can give you a list of places to visit that you'd probably enjoy.

Well, Ceci, you do make it sound inviting up there. Actually, a visit to your area is pretty high-up on my travel " bucket " list. I've never been to Canada and I really want to get there. About the closest I'll get to you next year is when I fly into Cody, Wyoming and spend about 10 days messing around in that area....I'm sure I'll creep over into Yellowstone for at least several of those days.

I certainly appreciate your offer. The same goes for you....come my way and I'll be your home-grown guide. But, honest-to-God, avoid June, July, August, and most of September. It's flat horrible.

Take care,

Tom
    edited August 21, 2011
    Well, Ceci, you do make it sound inviting up there. Actually, a visit to your area is pretty high-up on my travel " bucket " list. I've never been to Canada and I really want to get there. About the closest I'll get to you next year is when I fly into Cody, Wyoming and spend about 10 days messing around in that area....I'm sure I'll creep over into Yellowstone for at least several of those days.

I certainly appreciate your offer. The same goes for you....come my way and I'll be your home-grown guide. But, honest-to-God, avoid June, July, August, and most of September. It's flat horrible.

Take care,

Tom

Maybe when Lauren's here we can do a "travelogue" to try and convince other DGrinners to head north - and east.

Most people think of either central Canada (Montreal / Toronto) or the west coast (Alberta/British Columbia) when they think of visiting this country. But really, from coast to coast there are wonderful places to visit, enjoy and, of course, photograph.

By the way, the Appalachian mountain range extends north into our province - almost to where I livemwink.gif - so feel free to hike on overrolleyes1.gif

Thanks for the offer. I hope to head south sometime during the winter for a little while just to escape the cold! I've never been to the Jacksonville area - just to West Palm Beach for the horse shows.
    Picadilly, NB, Canada
  • NeilLNeilL Registered Users Posts: 4,201 Major grins
    edited August 22, 2011
    And they seem seriously content to be what they are!

Attractive pictures Tom!

Neil
    "Snow. Ice. Slow!" "Half-winter. Half-moon. Half-asleep!"

http://www.behance.net/brosepix
    edited August 22, 2011
    NeilL wrote: »
    And they seem seriously content to be what they are!

Attractive pictures Tom!

Neil

It's good to hear from you, Neil. I haven't seen much in the way of postings from your quarters lately. How about firing something our way?

As for the gates....I think you're right. They do seem to have settled into their roles very well.

Take care, my friend,

Tom
  • RoadkillRoadkill Registered Users Posts: 494 Major grins
    edited August 25, 2011
    I just went there for the first time last weekend. We stayed Sat, and Sun. Was that when you were there? If so we may have passed each other.

Really a cool place. We are definitely going back. No shortage of subject matter.

Dig the gates....
    edited August 26, 2011
    Roadkill wrote: »
    I just went there for the first time last weekend. We stayed Sat, and Sun. Was that when you were there? If so we may have passed each other.

Really a cool place. We are definitely going back. No shortage of subject matter.

Dig the gates....

My wife and I live right up the road in Jacksonville......she's also a native of St. Augustine. I think I spend more time down there than I do at home. You're absolutely right about the abundance of subject matter in the town. I've been shooting there for years and every time I grab my camera and walk around, I find something new and interesting to capture.

You may have noticed...there are many, many world-class art galleries there, and an equal number of truly exceptional restaurants to choose from. All-in-all, it's a fascinating place.

Tom
  • DaddyODaddyO Registered Users Posts: 4,466 Major grins
    edited August 26, 2011
    Neatly composed and exposed Tom. Nicely done. I am seriously attracted to gates of all sorts. Especially the ones with age...visual appeal... & character. Brick, mortar, wood and lots of mature green growth and other color. This you have captured well thumb.gifthumb
    Michael
    edited August 26, 2011
    DaddyO wrote: »
    Neatly composed and exposed Tom. Nicely done. I am seriously attracted to gates of all sorts. Especially the ones with age...visual appeal... & character. Brick, mortar, wood and lots of mature green growth and other color. This you have captured well thumb.gifthumb

Thanks, Michael, for the kind words. I always consider your endorsement to be very important.

Tom