Options

Practicing Outdoor's - Fire Away, Please!

Bryce WilsonBryce Wilson Registered Users Posts: 1,586 Major grins
edited August 17, 2011 in People
Outside with a pretty girl.

Not done too much of this and it's high time I try to get better. First time to this park and it sure has a lot of photo opportunities in it. I'll be back.

Started at 8:00 AM and had to quit by 10:00 as the sun got nasty. Some with flash, some without. Straight from Raw/Lightroom with no retouching yet.

Please critique and don't worry about being harsh!

6050139651_401b1ef9c9_b.jpg
webNicole-8 by Bryce Wilson, on Flickr

6050691286_e05be6fbaa_b.jpg
webNicole-15 by Bryce Wilson, on Flickr

6050691616_9589200589_b.jpg
webNicole-23 by Bryce Wilson, on Flickr

6050140745_18accaf764_b.jpg
webNicole-28 by Bryce Wilson, on Flickr

6050141195_f19748e9d1_b.jpg
webNicole-45 by Bryce Wilson, on Flickr

6050141777_cf9e3a8b4f_b.jpg
webNicole-74 by Bryce Wilson, on Flickr

6050142047_3be22843c6_b.jpg
webNicole-93 by Bryce Wilson, on Flickr

Comments

• Options
    reyvee61reyvee61 Registered Users Posts: 1,877 Major grins
    edited August 16, 2011
    Number three and seven are my faves...a few seem soft in focus where needed be sharp such as her face in eyes in particular one and two...
    I'd watch out for spotted light and shadows as well
    Yo soy Reynaldo
  • Options
    QarikQarik Registered Users Posts: 4,959 Major grins
    edited August 16, 2011
    some lovely stuff here! great light and compositions. My nits:

on 2, 6 keep her whole head in the frame
    on 4 and 5 her hands look uncomortable
    D700, D600
    14-24 24-70 70-200mm (vr2)
    85 and 50 1.4
    45 PC and sb910 x2
    http://www.danielkimphotography.com
  • Options
    trevorbtrevorb Registered Users Posts: 263 Major grins
    edited August 16, 2011
    Great set! #2 is a bit washed, maybe try raising the blacks or contrast.
    Really like #6 how it is. With that said you might want to play around with cropping even more of her head out, perhaps top of her forehead allowing you to get more shoulders… Just a thought. Great expression in #5!
  • Options
    HackboneHackbone Registered Users Posts: 4,027 Major grins
    edited August 16, 2011
    3-4-6-7 I like how your starting to have shadows on the other side of the face to give depth. Watch your cropping (2-3-4), generally your crop to the rear of the subject and leave room in front. I agree on your exposure might be off a tad on some or try raising your black point 10 points and move mid slider a tad to the right and see if you like the results. #6 is just great, try working the eyes up some.
  • Options
    Bryce WilsonBryce Wilson Registered Users Posts: 1,586 Major grins
    edited August 17, 2011
    reyvee61 wrote: »
    Number three and seven are my faves...a few seem soft in focus where needed be sharp such as her face in eyes in particular one and two...
    I'd watch out for spotted light and shadows as well

Thanks Rey. I agree about the softness, those were taken before I decided to select the single focus point option and was getting a bit of the dancing square effect and did miss a few.
    Qarik wrote: »
    some lovely stuff here! great light and compositions. My nits:

on 2, 6 keep her whole head in the frame
    on 4 and 5 her hands look uncomortable

Ditto on the hands. That bothers me too. Will pay closer attention in the future. Thanks!
    trevorb wrote: »
    Great set! #2 is a bit washed, maybe try raising the blacks or contrast.
    Really like #6 how it is. With that said you might want to play around with cropping even more of her head out, perhaps top of her forehead allowing you to get more shoulders… Just a thought. Great expression in #5!

Thanks... Yep, no doubt I do need to do some post work on these. In the shot you mentioned, I felt it best cropped as is because she had a bit of a shoulder slouch going on, but the lighting was so lovely I just had to use it, so I cropped a bit tighter than it was originally taken. Thanks for the comments
    Hackbone wrote: »
    3-4-6-7 I like how your starting to have shadows on the other side of the face to give depth. Watch your cropping (2-3-4), generally your crop to the rear of the subject and leave room in front. I agree on your exposure might be off a tad on some or try raising your black point 10 points and move mid slider a tad to the right and see if you like the results. #6 is just great, try working the eyes up some.

Thanks Charles. FWIW, my thoughts on the "front crop" was to use the foreground to draw the viewer into the subject. I guess it didn't work as well as I had hoped. I will indeed play with the black point and mid rages to give some more pop. And I agree, the eyes need some work. Thanks again for taking the time to comment.

While at the park in the AM we didn't get to a couple of areas that really screamed "Take a picture here" before the sun got too high in the sky. We decided to go back in the evening and try a few in that spot. I'm really happy we took the time to make the drive as I got a few that I really am in love with.

Here are a couple from the evening shoot. And thanks again for all the comments.

6053229142_49861e6faa_b.jpg
    Nicole by Bryce Wilson, on Flickr

6052679241_ff6e114ebf_b.jpg

6051874498_1d5ff414bc_b.jpg